U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2009, 10:02 AM

23 posts, read 84,665 times

Advertisements

Good Day,
I was wondering if anyone knew what were the steps i'd have to take in order to name a road. [Or if there are any sites that will give more information regarding steps and fee's?]
i live in union county [monroe] and in an area where there is a small road that leads to two houses... and behind us there are two other houses. the road does not have a name and it would be wonderful if there was a way to make up a name for it so when we [and our neighbors] invite family and friends over they'd be able to find us easily.

any help would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 11:02 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,989,864 times
Sounds like it is a private road? If so, you can probably get it named. Contact someone with your planning department would be my guess. Others may have more insight though...

Old 09-20-2009, 12:27 PM

19,813 posts, read 55,771,747 times
When I worked for the phone company, we named roads when we brought service to the houses - usually the name of the first people who lived there. Since you have internet, I think you have a street name, you just don't know it and the road isn't labeled by a street sign.

Contact the Roads and Streets dept of your county to ask them.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:29 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,643,301 times
If this were in Charlotte, I'd say the first thing to do with a road that size is to think up about five different names, so you can change the name of it frequently.

This is an interesting topic, though. Please keep us updated on what steps you take and what kind of results you get. And keep in mind, I don't think "Timm's Way" is taken yet.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:31 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,725,602 times
Like Native Son said, if it's a private road (which it really sounds like it is), you can probably name it whatever you want. The reason I say probably is because you may still need to submit it through the proper channels at the county or city to ensure emergency services can find you. The last thing you want to do is name your street the same as a street on the other side fo town and send rescue units there during an emergency!

One way to find out if it is private or not is to check out Union County's GIS map: http://maps.co.union.nc.us/gomaps/map/Index.cfm

Enter your address in the top right corner search area. Zoom in to where you can see the surrounding properties and the streets. You'll notice that streets seem like voids mixed in with all the parcels--basically un-owned land is what it looks like according to the GIS map since there is never a parcel number associated with a public right-of-way (street). So if your street shows up as a "void" in the parcel map, then it's more than likely a public right-of-way street. If you don't see an outline of the street where it should be, then it's more than likely a private road with some sort of easement or other agreement allowing others to use it for access.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:36 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,475,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
If this were in Charlotte, I'd say the first thing to do with a road that size is to think up about five different names, so you can change the name of it frequently.
That's the first thing that popped in my head too.

Something like: Pick a random name...something very very random....like a woman's name.....say 'Sharon' and then add some verb after it like 'chase', 'run', 'drive', 'walk', or 'jump'.

Then you tack your road onto another one where one needs to 'take a straight' to change roads.

LOL

Sorry OP, don't mean to hijack, but we native Charlotteans get a kick out of our roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or