U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 08:46 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,915,009 times

Advertisements

I read the article with mixed reviews over the weekend.

Out of all the solutions offered, I think the fairest is to move the IB Magnet program to East Meck.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 11:19 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,516,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I read the article with mixed reviews over the weekend.

Out of all the solutions offered, I think the fairest is to move the IB Magnet program to East Meck.

What do you all think?
I agree. But as an outsider looking it, that is easy for us to say

I can completely understand parents frustration with this on BOTH sides, but I do think that East parents have made the excellent point that their program is shrinking and hurting their kids (they can't offer all the classes they once could). From a pure numbers point of view it's a slam dunk, no brainer - combine the programs at the school that has the room - East Meck is being under utilized while Myers Park is seriously overcrowded.

The funny thing is, in my experience with both schools the parents at both are just the same. The only difference is, there are more students at Myers Park and therefore the parents there APPEAR to be a more dedicated group. But East Meck has wonderful parent support and some really good teachers too, just like Myers Park.

EACH schools has its problem kids - the ones who don't care about school, the ones who cause trouble. I really believe the folks running Myers Park are scared shirtless about losing their IB program because they know then they will look like most of the other high schools in the city.

See here's the truth, Myers Park has gotten a reputation as THE school to go to in Charlotte - which always makes me laugh. It's far from the best in Charlotte overall (that would be Ardrey Kell) but because the IB program there is so strong, outstanding and successful it makes the whole school look fantastic. Well, if your kid is not in IB or AP classes they could seriously be at any other middle of the road high school and do just as well.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:40 AM

True.

I kind of know how it feels as something similar happened to me in FL and was a major factor in my moving up here. I sacrificed and moved to an area that was near an excellent elementary school. (and it was truly a good one and not just because of the zip lol)

They rezoned as there was a neighborhood that complained that their school was bad and no one was doing anything about it. So my kid had to go to the bad school (F rated and actually had crime in the school). Plus the school was 15 miles away. (it was truly bizarre turn of events)

So i was the outraged bunch. lol

But here what my thinking is that since Myers Park is the "school" to go to, losing the IB program to East Meck won't do anything. And in fact will lessen the crowding for those who are zoned to go to that school. No one loses out in the sense that the people near Myers Park will still go there. My understanding is that the IB program is over 80% of kids that do not live in the area.

But I hear what you are saying LovesMountains, it is going to be an interesting battle to witness.

Oh and I know a few students and teachers at East Meck, they love it there.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:11 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,942,772 times
Relatively speaking, I would not think it is a huge issue except to some neighborhood activists. When I say relative, we could be dealing with something like the Texas Board of Education taking up the issue to remove Neil Armstrong from school books. In case you were not around or had been sleeping in school that day, this was the individual that is better known for being the first man to walk on the Moon.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:12 PM

LOL Lumbollo, I know who Neil Armstrong is.

Wait are you actually telling me people don't know who he is?

Old 09-21-2009, 12:38 PM

2,838 posts, read 4,156,321 times
I doubt if a decision will be made by November (which must be done in order for it to go into effect next school year). Gorman was on the news last night saying East Meck with 1500/students and Myers Park at 3000/students was fine. Myers Park has the best IB program in the state and I doubt very seriously all IB students will be sent from MP to East Meck. A huge portion of the IB students at MP have MP as their home school (not 20%) and one option is that only IB students from outside the MP home zone go to East Meck.

I think if any change is made it will be re-assigning Cotswold from AG and MP to McClintock and East Meck. This would have an impact on property values in the Cotswold area and thats why many families are upset.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:45 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,942,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post

Wait are you actually telling me people don't know who he is?
Believe it or not, I have run into graduates of CMS who were not familiar with the name. Sorry if my post was sounding like you didn't know, that didn't come out right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or