Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 05:55 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,164,001 times

Advertisements

So the Harvey Gantt center had a preview opening last night for the privileged in this city. This appears to be one of the tax financed buildings attached to the Wachovia tower (aka Wells Tower, aka Duke Energy tower) which is the highrise tower under construction in downtown. This particular facility is named after Charlotte's first Black mayor, Harvey Gantt.

After watching Jennifer Roberts, at large member of the county council, yack on about how much this tax money is being spent for the good of the city, I heard something that caught my ear. Some how we get a new name for downtown, Cultural Campus of Center City. WTF. This is what I remember back from the days where there was a little common sense left with city officials.

• Once commonly referred to as just plain "downtown". The freeway exit signs still use this term.
  • Changed to Uptown. You must capitalize it else you are not with the program.
  • Then we got "The Center City". This is where one of the tax paid downtown boosters said it's a place for the creative class. Where they will want to go to drink their frappichinos while thinking great thoughts for the rest of us. IMO, it was an attempt at creating a sense of place out of something that resembles a cross between an office park and well... an office park with some places to get drunk.
  • Now it's being called the "Cultural Campus of Center City". Trying saying that fast a few times. I guess with the 1/2 built condos staring them right in the face, it was time for another name change. That creative class thing didn't exactly pan out.
There are people getting paid good tax money to come up with this nonsense. Nevermind that Charlotte is suffering from crime, overcrowded schools, tax rates going to the stratosphere, and eyewatering unemployment.

Last edited by lumbollo; 09-20-2009 at 06:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 06:06 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,150,615 times
I heard they were gonna call it the "Place in Charlotte to Reflect on Crime and Schools and Tax and Stuff" but it wouldn't fit on the little green signs... I didn't think too much about it but now I realize it must be a big bummer for you.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:14 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,164,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I heard they were gonna call it the "Place in Charlotte to Reflect on Crime and Schools and Tax and Stuff" but it wouldn't fit on the little green signs... I didn't think too much about it but now I realize it must be a big bummer for you.
I was happy with just plain old "downtown".

Old 09-20-2009, 06:19 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,150,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I was happy with just plain old "downtown".
somehow I get the feeling that you weren't though. call it a hunch.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:43 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,263,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I heard they were gonna call it the "Place in Charlotte to Reflect on Crime and Schools and Tax and Stuff" but it wouldn't fit on the little green signs...
Post of the week

Old 09-20-2009, 09:03 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,121,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Post of the week
Agree! And voting appropriately, lol!!!!!

Old 09-20-2009, 09:52 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,991,882 times
Cultural Campus is not a name for downtown, but for the complex with the Harvey Gantt center, the new Mint Museum, the theater as well as the Duke Tower. They're all within 2 blocks there between Stonewall and 2nd; Church and College.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:03 AM

But it does look like a somewhat desperate marketing ploy - attempting to designate a small area of the city as being a "cultural center," just as changing the designation of what every city in America calls "downtown" to "Uptown."

Old 09-20-2009, 11:11 AM

830 posts, read 1,521,676 times
Why is this a desperate ploy? It's not uncommon for cities to have a "Theater District" or things like that.

It has nothing to do with renaming downtown/uptown or whatever, or unsold condos, or crime, or schools or anything like that.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Why is this a desperate ploy? It's not uncommon for cities to have a "Theater District" or things like that.

It has nothing to do with renaming downtown/uptown or whatever, or unsold condos, or crime, or schools or anything like that.
I didn't say anything was wrong with it. I said it looks desperate. That is my opinion. It looks desperate as there is not enuff "culture" there to deem it the "cultural district."

It would be kinda like saying my business has a "fleet of upscale vehicles" when in fact, my business leases two Ford Explorers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte