U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:43 AM

14 posts, read 68,936 times

Advertisements

I had never had a speeding ticket before, but then got a 13 over one (running at 48 where 35 was the limit) in Charlotte and a 21 over one (81 mph where 60 mph was the limit) in Gastonia. The 13 over one has the option of paying the fine and not appearing in court. The 21 over one has just the option of my going to the court. The court date of the 13 over one is 01/10 and the second one 24/10.

I am afraid of losing my license and a big increase in the insurance cost.

What is the best way to handle this situation? Can a lawyer handle the two tickets I got from Charlotte and Gastonia? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
I don't know that one lawyer can handle both as they are in different counties and it would be a hassle (and may cost you more - if atty has to drive to Gaston) for one attorney to deal with both. Plus, an attorney is gonna have closer relationships with the DA's office in the county where he/she works.

You could lose your license for years plus your car insurance will sky rocket.

I would call an attorney immediately about the first ticket and explain the whole mess to him/her. See what they say. Proceed from there.

Anything you have to spend is necessary and a bargain compared to losing your license for years and having your insurance sky rocket.

Edited to add: And slow down!!! Really! Have you lived here long? I just have to ask, cause I would think you would have figured out where not to speed if you have lived here a while.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:57 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncrick View Post
I had never had a speeding ticket before, but then got a 13 over one (running at 48 where 35 was the limit) in Charlotte and a 21 over one (81 mph where 60 mph was the limit) in Gastonia. The 13 over one has the option of paying the fine and not appearing in court. The 21 over one has just the option of my going to the court. The court date of the 13 over one is 01/10 and the second one 24/10.

What is the best way to handle this situation? Can a lawyer handle the two tickets I got from Charlotte and Gastonia? Thanks in advance.
What to do?

How about learning some restraint and driving more safely within the limits?

Oh, and get a lawyer, at this point you need one.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:00 AM

124 posts, read 219,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncrick View Post

lawyer lawyer lawyer every penny you give them you will save in insurance and court costs.. as a kid I got plenty.. you can post pone one and do driving school for the other ..possibly get one reduced lesser charge.. but do NOT wait to go see attorney. get them on board for sure. nobody wants anyone to get hurt .. but for the most part speeding tickets are a money maker for your county .. make no mistake about it. LAWYER LAWYER for instance a special I just watched girl in Illinois after an argument with mother speed through town 70 plus ran all the lights finally at an intersection decided to commit suicide rammed {90 plus } into a civic killing all 3 men the car.. she did 6 yrs and guess what is eligible for her lic . 2010 MONEY MONEY MONEY

Old 09-21-2009, 11:04 AM

359 posts, read 1,014,352 times
I'm with Loves... STOP SPEEDING ..and get a lawyer..You'll need it..

Old 09-21-2009, 11:11 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,691,574 times
First of all getting a ticket for 13 over is no big deal. You may get it reduced if you ask but you will still have to pay the small fine and court cost, Insurance points should only be 2. The main issue is going 21 over. State law will take your licence for 30 days for this one if its not dropped to below 15 mph over. It will be hard to justify reducing this one BECAUSE you have recently been given another speeding ticket. Points for this one will be 3 points most likely for a total of 5. 5 points will cause an increase of 30% for 36 months on your insurance (liability) If you also purchase collision it will increase also. A lawyer may help get them reduced but be prepared to be without a licence for at least 30 days. There will be another fee to have your licence reinstated. The judge will have an issue with your not heading the first ticket and getting another one even worse. Differant county or not ,its the same state and you cant hide anything. The only good thing is you should not lose your licence for more than 30 days.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:20 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,924,417 times
81 in a 60 is a class 2 misdemeanor so you probably want a lawyer to help you get that one reduced enough so that it is just a speeding charge. Technically the judge could toss you in the county jail for a few days to teach you a lesson to slow down so I would not mess around with this one.

Like the others have said, try slowing down to something close to the speed limit.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:28 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,033,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
81 in a 60 is a class 2 misdemeanor so you probably want a lawyer to help you get that one reduced enough so that it is just a speeding charge. Technically the judge could toss you in the county jail for a few days to teach you a lesson to slow down so I would not mess around with this one.
Technically yes.
Will it happen, NO.

The 81/60 was on the open road, you just got caught in the Gastonia speed trap.
But slow down in town, the 48/35 is a bit much IMHO.

I concur with the others, you'll definitely want a lawyer with two back to back.
I happened to know a good one, DM me if interested.

You might want to invest in a Valentine One...

Last edited by mullman; 09-21-2009 at 11:37 AM..

Old 09-21-2009, 11:39 AM

2,193 posts, read 4,535,191 times
Can someone provide a source that this guy will lose his license?

In the below link it says you have to accumulate 12 points in 3 years to possibly get a suspended license.

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Driver Handbook: Chapter 3

I wouldn't lose sleep over this. Just slow down that's all.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:57 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,457,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
What to do?

How about learning some restraint and driving more safely within the limits?
This
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or