U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 05:33 AM

2,341 posts, read 4,048,227 times

Advertisements

No, unless it has changed since I went there.

ETA. Nope, just checked.
You apply to the UC system(http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/) and indicate the school(s) you would like to attend. If you meet the requirements for the UC system, you will be admitted - somewhere. You may not get your school of choice, but you will be admitted some where. The UC system guarantees that the top 10%(?) will be admitted somewhere but does not make any guarantees as far as choice.

My point was that just because you are admitted to the system doesn't mean that you get your choice. If UCLA reaches their max, you go elsewhere or not at all.

Go Bruins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
You don't apply to the UC system...you apply for a specific school. There may be minimum HS standards that guarantee you a place in the UC or Cal-State system as a whole, but each school admits students on its own. Berkeley, UCLA and UCSD are much harder to get into than say, UC-Santa Barbara. The same goes for every public system in the country that I know of.

Myers Park is crowded, but for the most part, the school feels that it is "fine" at its current attendance. As far as school boundaries, people deserve at least some modicum of stability. Rightly or wrongly, one of the main reasons for buying in Ardrey Kell, Providence, South Meck, Myers Park areas is for the schools. Moving kids from Myers Park to South Meck would be one thing...moving kids from AG to McClintock is quite another. You pay more on both housing and consequently property taxes to live where there are good schools.

There are absolutely a lot of subtexts at play here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 05:39 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,039,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
No - You apply to the UC system and indicate the school(s) you would like to attend(up to 3 choices). If you meet the requirements for the UC system, you will be admitted - somewhere. You may not get your school of choice, but you will be admitted some where. The UC system guarantees that the top 10%(?) will be admitted somewhere but does not make any guarantees as far as choice.
That is not how it works here.
I have no idea what California does, this is North Carolina.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
That is not how it works here in the great state of North Carolina.
One would apply to Western Carolina, UNC-CH, NC State, UNC-Wilmington, etc. ALL THESE are in the UNC (public) system, but you would need apply to the school(s) you are interested in. One would not just apply to the 'UNC System' and be placed willy-nilly at UNC-CLT.
OK... UNC is different. I'm using California since that's my reference point and it really is just to illustrate an idea.

To me, CMS is just one big school system and I don't see how, since everyone pays taxes to support it, I can have ultimate choice over how students are assigned. If I bought a home in an area that has great schools, but I'm close to an area that doesn't... what happens when my great school fills up? I don't have ultimate say over how that decision is made.

Again, all schools should be good schools and then maybe this would not be an issue.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:
OK... UNC is different. I'm using California since that's my reference point and it really is just to illustrate an idea.
But your point is moot on us - this is North Carolina.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:48 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,861,491 times
Even though I don't have any children, I find the whole CMS boundaries issue very interesting.

What surprises me is that my house is zoned for Myers Park, but if I actually drove to the closest high school, it would be Garinger. Garinger is just under 3 miles away, and MP is over 6 miles away. Maybe it is the low amount of high school aged kids in the neighborhood (most of the children are babies and toddlers), so perhaps the parents aren't as vocal about their choices yet?

Opinions about school performance aside (as I know some readers probably have very strong opinions about individual schools), it just seems weird to me that you don't go to the school closest to where you live. I know all parents want the best possible education for their children, so they buy a home in a certain area, but these boundaries are just confounding to this naive newbie!

Old 09-23-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
But your point is moot on us - this is North Carolina.

You're smart. I know you can apply the concept to this situation.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:52 AM

I thought that was odd too when the Mint Hill discussion was happening. Apparently people in Mint Hill are not zoned for MHHS. But the school they are zoned for is actually closer. People are upset because they want they new school for their kids even though it is not the closest.

It would be hard to buy a home in an area by trying to figure out what the demographics will be like going forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
Even though I don't have any children, I find the whole CMS boundaries issue very interesting.

What surprises me is that my house is zoned for Myers Park, but if I actually drove to the closest high school, it would be Garinger. Garinger is just under 3 miles away, and MP is over 6 miles away. Maybe it is the low amount of high school aged kids in the neighborhood (most of the children are babies and toddlers), so perhaps the parents aren't as vocal about their choices yet?

Opinions about school performance aside (as I know some readers probably have very strong opinions about individual schools), it just seems weird to me that you don't go to the school closest to where you live. I know all parents want the best possible education for their children, so they buy a home in a certain area, but these boundaries are just confounding to this naive newbie!

Old 09-23-2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
This is exactly my problem with the system as well.
This would make the most sense & lower astronomical transportation cost (100,000+ bus miles per day).

BUT social engineers clamor that this would leave the schools socioeconomically (and some claim racially) unbalanced.
Right or wrong, this is how nearly every city in the country forms it's neighborhoods: socioeconomically.

Quote:
It would be hard to buy a home in an area by trying to figure out what the demographics will be like going forward
Exactly. The whims of the school board will gerrymander at will.
And please, this is about socioeconomics, not race demographics.

It's one reason so many choose private schools, to have a bit of control.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:35 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,417,724 times
School lines intact, but new fights loom - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/142/story/963345.html - broken link)

* The comments are unbelievable

The implications on CMS as a whole is huge... I would be freaking out if I were there.

Last edited by MikeyKid; 09-23-2009 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: bad formatting

Old 09-23-2009, 12:14 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchiker View Post
and also lacks the IB program that MP has run so successfully

Umm, East Meck also has an IB program and participants in the IB program at East actually have higher test scores than the students in the IB program at Myers Park (according to the CMS website).
This whole situation reminds me of the story, The Emporor's New Clothes.

Myers Park is PERCEIVED to better than East Meck, when in reality if you take away the IB program they each have the same social issues, low performing students, thugs and drugs. Myers Park is known for it's IB program and has been for years. But people are misinformed or just in denial if they think the whole school is as good, it's not. East Meck has a smaller IB program which is not as well known, but very successful. In addition, there are awesome teachers at East Meck and just as many kids who love their school.

Anyone thinking they HAVE to have their kid in Myers Park over East Meck has bought the bill of goods they've been sold -hook, line and sinker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or