Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:14 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times

Advertisements

I've just started to take interest in this issue.

Can someone tell me what's going on and why there's such a big fight?

Seems to me the people from Myers Park dont want to move their kids in an overcrowded school to a smaller one...is that correct?

Cotswold move lacks board support - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/142/story/963345.html?pageNum=2&mi_pluck_action=page_nav#Com ments_Container - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 07:21 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I've just started to take interest in this issue.

Can someone tell me what's going on and why there's such a big fight?

Seems to me the people from Myers Park dont want to move their kids in an overcrowded school to a smaller one...is that correct?

Cotswold move lacks board support - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/142/story/963345.html?pageNum=2&mi_pluck_action=page_nav#Com ments_Container - broken link)
That's it in a nutshell

Old 09-22-2009, 07:35 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
There is a tradition here in Charlotte . . . that goes back at least 40 years. If you graduate from Myers Park High School - that is considered as good as a private school education. Now, you have to remember, I moved away so I don't know what occurred during those years . . . b/c when I moved back, I heard that a lot of the wealthiest folks in Myers Park were not sending their kids to Myers Park. It used to be that no matter where you lived in the state, all kids knew Myers Park HS. Some of the highest ranking scholastic students came from MP and they sure didn't hesitate to let folks know it, either (once in college). The school simply had the best of everything - cause parents made sure they would donate what wasn't provided.

I don't know if that sterling reputation still glows so brightly, cause as I mentioned, I have run into a lot of people since moving back who live in the MP district, but are sending their kids to private schools. Of course, there always were lots of people who sent their kids to private school, whether a school in Charlotte or a boarding school elsewhere, but I was told the school was not what it used to be - and part of that was crowding.

So . . . my thought is that a lot of people have moved into that district specifically so their kids could attend MP . . . and people are not really thrilled about that changing.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:12 PM

830 posts, read 1,530,641 times
Issue is less about Myers Park/East Meck, as it is about AG Middle vs McClintock, IMO.

Myers Park has a terrific (and very big) IB program. It draws from a huge area, and it's a huge school with its own issues.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:53 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,138,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Issue is less about Myers Park/East Meck, as it is about AG Middle vs McClintock, IMO.

Myers Park has a terrific (and very big) IB program. It draws from a huge area, and it's a huge school with its own issues.
My kid went to east about 7 years ago but since then the student profiles have changed . McClintock has alot of problems because most of the students there have alot of problems and staff turnover. Its not a happy place.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:44 PM

94 posts, read 356,390 times
I think there are many issues here, but I don't think anyone would really consider sending their kids to McClintock/East just so that they are in a less crowded school. I think any parent would choose to send their child a high performing crowded school rather than a lower performing small school - regardless of the research into the benefits of small classroom size. I'm a MPHS grad, but worked in and with CMS in my career and I have to say that there are some great teachers at East (I have to agree McClintock has serious issues), especially with their AP program. I do think it is probably more to do with the middle school and the fact that East lacks the same prestige of MPHS, and also lacks the IB program that MP has run so successfully. When you look at the school board vote, consider how many of them have kids that either go to or went to AG/MP - it should be no surprise that there was a no vote!

Old 09-23-2009, 01:51 AM

47 posts, read 107,030 times
and also lacks the IB program that MP has run so successfully

Umm, East Meck also has an IB program and participants in the IB program at East actually have higher test scores than the students in the IB program at Myers Park (according to the CMS website).

Old 09-23-2009, 05:08 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,630,594 times
What is interesting to me is that people enroll their kids in a public school system. Not a particular school but the CMS system. Then they expect to be able to enroll their kids in their school of choice instead of understanding that they are really only "entitled" that their child have a place in some school in the system.

I attended private school so I my perspective is different. I see public schools similar to a public university system. When you apply to the UC system in California, you may be admitted to the system, but not necessarily to the school of your choice. If you want absolute say in the matter, you need to pay for private school.

What's unfortunate is that the school system does not make sure that a quality education is available at all of it's schools. I'm still not getting why the issue of moving kids from one overcrowded school to an underutilized school has such a hidden agenda.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:19 AM

830 posts, read 1,530,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
What is interesting to me is that people enroll their kids in a public school system. Not a particular school but the CMS system. Then they expect to be able to enroll their kids in their school of choice instead of understanding that they are really only "entitled" that their child have a place in some school in the system.

I attended private school so I my perspective is different. I see public schools similar to a public university system. When you apply to the UC system in California, you may be admitted to the system, but not necessarily to the school of your choice. If you want absolute say in the matter, you need to pay for private school.

What's unfortunate is that the school system does not make sure that a quality education is available at all of it's schools. I'm still not getting why the issue of moving kids from one overcrowded school to an underutilized school has such a hidden agenda.
You don't apply to the UC system...you apply for a specific school. There may be minimum HS standards that guarantee you a place in the UC or Cal-State system as a whole, but each school admits students on its own. Berkeley, UCLA and UCSD are much harder to get into than say, UC-Santa Barbara. The same goes for every public system in the country that I know of.

Myers Park is crowded, but for the most part, the school feels that it is "fine" at its current attendance. As far as school boundaries, people deserve at least some modicum of stability. Rightly or wrongly, one of the main reasons for buying in Ardrey Kell, Providence, South Meck, Myers Park areas is for the schools. Moving kids from Myers Park to South Meck would be one thing...moving kids from AG to McClintock is quite another. You pay more on both housing and consequently property taxes to live where there are good schools.

There are absolutely a lot of subtexts at play here.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:26 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I see public schools similar to a public university system. When you apply to the UC system in California, you may be admitted to the system, but not necessarily to the school of your choice. If you want absolute say in the matter, you need to pay for private school
That is not how it works here in the great state of North Carolina.
One would apply to Western Carolina, UNC-CH, NC State, UNC-Wilmington, etc. ALL THESE are in the UNC (public) system, but you would need apply to the school(s) you are interested in. One would not just apply to the 'UNC System' and be placed willy-nilly at UNC-CLT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte