U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 02:17 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,913,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I currently live in NJ just outside of NYC in a very upscale, but extremely over priced and over taxed area. I like the area I live in a lot, but I hate the fact that is is so expensive and I would like warmer weather. I want to start a family where we can have a better life.
Hey, I coulda written that sentence one year ago - well, at least the first 2, but our kids had gone off to college so we no longer needed those great local public schools and could no longer afford the high taxes, so we moved here. But I love country music and I am a car nut, so I am mildly interested in NASCAR. It is not New Jersey. This area has grown so rapidly over the past 10 years there are people from everywhere. We even know a few locals! There is also a lot of suburban sprawl which you might find short on charm, but we like it. We have 3 grocery stores within walking distance, but of course we never walk, vs our old lovely quaint New Jersey downtown that was really nice, but dominated by banks and real estate offices (8 or 9 of each!) and had no grocery story. Starbucks is exactly the same 1.5 miles from our front door as in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 03:01 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,688,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Here is a recent post of mine that just might help you.

Dilworth, Plaza Midwood, South End, Elizabeth, NoDa are the neighborhoods I think you would enjoy the most.

Dilworth

YouTube - Camden Dilworth Apartments for Rent Charlotte North Carolina

Plaza Midwood

YouTube - Plaza Midwood Neighborhood in Charlotte NC

Dilworth (near South End) these videos by yours truly

YouTube - Dilworth YouTube - Dilworth

Elizabeth

YouTube - Elizabeth Neighborhood, Charlotte NC

NoDa

YouTube - The Arts District or Noda in Charlotte NC

I hope this helps and welcome to Charlotte!!!
Yo what is a NoDa......doesnt sound like english to me. It is a new hispanic mecca or something?

Old 09-24-2009, 03:22 PM

7,104 posts, read 9,695,299 times
^^^^^are you trying to say you know nada about noda or nada about nada??

Old 09-24-2009, 03:48 PM

12 posts, read 18,845 times
xscapefromnJ, where in Charlotte did you end up moving if you dont mind me asking? What do you like better about Charlotte? What do you like better about NJ? I appreciate your feedback.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:58 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,913,511 times
NODA stands for North of Davidson (Davidson Street, not the town of Davidson). It is a neighborhood, but as far as I can tell it doesn't extend very far beyond the intersection of 2 streets!

We live in Huntersville, in Birkdale (a.. cough... subdivision). We wanted to be near Lake Norman (couldn't afford lakefront, but we are close), we wanted convenience to Charlotte (we have easy access to I-77 at exit 25), we like being on a golf course if we had to live with the sameness of a subdivision. We like the nearby Birkdale Village, which I call "faux downtown" others call it an outdoor shopping mall, but it is a very well planned area with a small park/fountain in the middle for children to play in and weekend concerts and many restaurants with outdoor seating. The place is full of activity especially weekend evenings. Late in our househunting we finally realized being near some type of area like that was important to us. We didn't want to be out in the country where we would have to drive for 20 - 30 minutes just to buy milk.

If you drive around Huntersville (and probably other areas surrounding Charlotte) you will see the results of too much too fast growth. There are a lot of subdivisions that are not particularly well located, but when housing was hot the developers developed wherever they could, so now you drive for miles in areas that seem rural and you will find a subdivision with very inexpensive homes and unfinished lots. It can be kinda grim.

After being here for a year, I find people in general to be warm and friendly. I like Lake Norman. I like that I can live here without facing financial ruin that would have been my fate in NJ. I took money out of my house in NJ and put it in the bank and pay 1/7 the property taxes. When we go into Charlotte for anything, dinner, visiting friends, a concert, we are always amazed at how easy and quick it is for us to get in and home, compared to New York. No tunnels to go through! I miss some of our nice friends in NJ, but we have nice friends here too. I guess our town in NJ was more scenically beautiful than it is around here, even with the lake and the golf course, but that doesn't bother me much. I lived in San Francisco a long time ago and I am always shocked at how stunning it is out there when I go back. You tend to take it for granted after a while.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:05 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,922,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Yo what is a NoDa......doesnt sound like english to me. It is a new hispanic mecca or something?
Welcome to Charlotte neighborhood "branding". It's the new improved name for the area that was known for most of the 20th century as North Charlotte.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:36 AM

1,644 posts, read 4,097,276 times
QUOTE=Kurt23;10896999]Thank you everyone for your awesome help. I watched all of the videos and they were all helpful. Thanks for that. The one with the guy on the bike started to get me sick from the camera moving all over the place, but they were all fun to watch.

Someone asked where in NJ I live. I currently live in Ramsey, NJ within walking distance to the downtown area. Prior to that I lived in Hoboken. I loved hoboken, but getting around for my job and parking were a nightmare. Since I am at the stage where I want to start a family soon I thought I would go to Ramsey or Ridgewood type place. They still offer restaurants/bars/shopping but you can live in a house.

Right now in life I would say that I want to live in uptown or a plaza-midwood type place, but i have to think ahead since I will be going to bars less with a family in the next year to few years. That being said, I want to be close enough to walk to cool stuff or at least be able to take the light rail or other method to go to the hoboken like areas or uptown. NoDa seemed like a mini greenwich village (which is cool) but not sure its the best place for a young family.

Is Ballantyne too far away to still feel a piece of the urban life via train/bus? Is Ballantyne an older area? Do Dilworth or Plaza Midwood offer enough of a family atmosphere?

Where I live now in Ramsey has a cool, upscale downtown area. (ridgewood is better but waay more expensive). Ramsey also allows me to walk to the train and be in nyc in 40 minutes. What areas of Charlotte would provide local shopping, restaurant, bar options but also allow for a less than 30 minute travel with perhaps even public transportation option to the more urban sections of town? Is the light rail safe at night?

How do these areas compare to the triangle area? Is there anywhere comparable like say chapel hill or downtown raliegh?

I have also lived in Orlando so I would assume that would be a city comparable to Columbus like the one poster stated. I like orlando, but I found it to be too hot and too touristy.

lastly, as someone who has always live in or near (under an hour drive to nyc or rt in downtown orlando) a city, will Charlotte feel too country for me? I love the southern charm and politeness, but I don't like country music or nascar. I love sports, outdoor activities, movies, books and too have intellectual conversations (not that you can tell from this incoherent babble). Will I feel out of place in Charlotte? How would raliegh compare?

Thank you very much to everyone who has helped me. I greatly appreciate it.[/quote]

Not sure what sort of feel you really want as on one hand you ask for southern charm and politeness, but then ask if there is anywhere similar to Chapel Hill, which is a college town, certainly not a typical Southern small town.
I would say the closest thing to Chapel Hill would be Davidson up in the Northern part of Meck county, but smaller without the selection of bars-more family orientated maybe,although it is a college town.
Also close to Lake Norman.
Davidson, NC - Official Website[
http://www.city-data.com/city/Davids...-Carolina.html

Probably not that much cool stuff to walk too,probably need to be in uptown for that

Old 09-25-2009, 11:05 AM

3,151 posts, read 3,129,941 times
NODA stands for North of Davidson (Davidson Street, not the town of Davidson). It is a neighborhood, but as far as I can tell it doesn't extend very far beyond the intersection of 2 streets!

I know..duh...I drove through expecting to see a really artsie kind of Greenwich Village kinda..and no offense..but it is a slum.. and if you blink..you miss it...I was very disappointed in this area of Charlotte...have not gone anywhere else yet..but honestly..I like Ballentyne and my town Waxhaw much better...just MO.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:50 PM

8,723 posts, read 7,923,518 times
So, something's wrong with a neighborhood just because it didn't measure up to *your* vision of what it should be?

The neighborhood isn't just the area with the galleries and restaurants/bars, like all neighborhoods it is comprised mostly of residential property.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:13 PM

72 posts, read 209,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt23 View Post
Thank you everyone for your awesome help. I watched all of the videos and they were all helpful. Thanks for that. The one with the guy on the bike started to get me sick from the camera moving all over the place, but they were all fun to watch.

Someone asked where in NJ I live. I currently live in Ramsey, NJ within walking distance to the downtown area. Prior to that I lived in Hoboken. I loved hoboken, but getting around for my job and parking were a nightmare. Since I am at the stage where I want to start a family soon I thought I would go to Ramsey or Ridgewood type place. They still offer restaurants/bars/shopping but you can live in a house.

Right now in life I would say that I want to live in uptown or a plaza-midwood type place, but i have to think ahead since I will be going to bars less with a family in the next year to few years. That being said, I want to be close enough to walk to cool stuff or at least be able to take the light rail or other method to go to the hoboken like areas or uptown. NoDa seemed like a mini greenwich village (which is cool) but not sure its the best place for a young family.

Is Ballantyne too far away to still feel a piece of the urban life via train/bus? Is Ballantyne an older area? Do Dilworth or Plaza Midwood offer enough of a family atmosphere?

Where I live now in Ramsey has a cool, upscale downtown area. (ridgewood is better but waay more expensive). Ramsey also allows me to walk to the train and be in nyc in 40 minutes. What areas of Charlotte would provide local shopping, restaurant, bar options but also allow for a less than 30 minute travel with perhaps even public transportation option to the more urban sections of town? Is the light rail safe at night?

How do these areas compare to the triangle area? Is there anywhere comparable like say chapel hill or downtown raliegh?

I have also lived in Orlando so I would assume that would be a city comparable to Columbus like the one poster stated. I like orlando, but I found it to be too hot and too touristy.

lastly, as someone who has always live in or near (under an hour drive to nyc or rt in downtown orlando) a city, will Charlotte feel too country for me? I love the southern charm and politeness, but I don't like country music or nascar. I love sports, outdoor activities, movies, books and too have intellectual conversations (not that you can tell from this incoherent babble). Will I feel out of place in Charlotte? How would raliegh compare?

Thank you very much to everyone who has helped me. I greatly appreciate it.
River Vale, NJ native here Definitely miss the lovely downtown family friendly areas like Westwood, Ridgewood, etc. Honestly though, I dont think you'll find anything like that that is comparable in this area, maybe Huntersville, which has Birkdale Village, which reminds me of some of the nice "walking" areas of bergen county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or