U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:24 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,587,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealace View Post
Thanks!
Yeah Ive been to Unitarian. I enjoyed it pretty much, but its a bit of a drive for me. I guess thats the only one. My husband and I actually were thinking of starting one! In this area, Im afraid the place would get torched or something though.

are you kidding me?

Old 09-24-2009, 11:31 AM

575 posts, read 1,350,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
are you kidding me?
Sounds like it may be time for her to believe in a God of her choice.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:47 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,587,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondplayer View Post
Sounds like it may be time for her to believe in a God of her choice.

I could careless who or what she believes in....just as others it is the stereotypical comment that was made that is in poor taste.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:09 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
I took the OP's comments to mean their immediate area, not Charlotte in general. I don't know where they are - but my mom lives in a small town outside of Hickory, and stays in on Sunday mornings, because she doesn't want the neighbors questioning her about not going to church! Some neighborhoods are more overtly Christian/religious than others. In those areas, people DO care what your beliefs are, and will ostracize you if they don't feel like you fit in with their worldview. Just guessing, but I think that's what they meant.
And if that is true . . . then why move to a place where a person would feel so under scrutiny - and feel it is appropriate to assign such menacing behavior to others as to suggest someone would "torch" the place?

IF such a place exists . . . and it makes a person that uncomfortable . . . why live there? If that is the community attitude . . . then why stay in that community?

That is what gets me about folks moving here. They come cause it is cheap then complain that folks are not "accepting." Then they refer to how "small minded" the folks are. Well . . . maybe their worldview is just different than the newcomer's . . . which makes me wonder why folks feel they should expect others to change their "world view" when the natives were there first - and obviously - the community has evolved as it has b/c that is the way folks want it!

Old 09-24-2009, 01:31 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,506,947 times
can we not just answer the original poster question

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-24-2009 at 06:35 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 04:04 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,591,093 times
Eek...a touchy religion thread. I was going to comment but I think I'd better go cook dinner.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:14 AM

62 posts, read 75,070 times
I know that not all people are going to torch an atheistic center but come on, dont be so naiive, there are radicals of every type showing up everywhere these days and youre right not just here but this is the southern bible belt afterall, so they are a little less tolerant. I guess I could move somewhere else but I like it here and no place is perfect. Maybe one day people of every religion, non-religion, race, belief, ethnicity, physically disabled, mentally disabled, etc. can learn to let people be who they are and not get so angry. Somehow, I dont see that happening. People get up in arms if you love Obama, hate Obama, hate the Yankees, love the Yankees. It seems we are all on a certain team and unable to accept peoples differences. Not all people, but a lot of them. Maybe I am one too, angry at people who wont let others be who they are.............hmmmmm. Sorry if I offended anyone, it really wasnt my intention.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:30 AM

370 posts, read 651,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
You may want to try the Unitarian Universalists (on Sharon Amity just east of Randolph). I think it'll be open enough for you to feel comfortable. Best of luck!
Yep.

This place is exactly what you are looking for.

It ROCKS!

Old 09-25-2009, 08:29 AM

841 posts, read 1,238,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealace View Post
I know that not all people are going to torch an atheistic center but come on, dont be so naiive, there are radicals of every type showing up everywhere these days and youre right not just here but this is the southern bible belt afterall, so they are a little less tolerant.
I think by the tone of your posting you may want to take a look in the mirror to find a lack of tolerance and understanding of others.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:40 AM

62 posts, read 75,070 times
Point taken. I will try to be more tolerant of those who are not. Its just that I get so tired of having to be quiet about my beliefs while some others shout it from the rooftops. Why couldnt I put a bumper sticker on my car that says "Atheism is Truth". I could, sure, and guess what would happen? So, I remain quiet and listen to their truths and try to keep an open mind. Can they not listen to my truth and keep an open mind also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte