U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 09:51 AM

43 posts, read 122,722 times

Advertisements

I know it's a bit early but I am trying to plan out the end of the month.
We are new to our neighborhood this year and there seems to be alot of kids.

I noticed that Halloween (the 31st) falls on saturday? I've lived some places where the trick or treating is not on the 31st but on a different day all together.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the exact day trick or treating will occur in Charlotte this year?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 09:55 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,874,604 times
It's always been on Halloween as long as I've lived here (4 years). If you have lots of kids in your neighborhood plan on buying a lot of candy, I spent nearly $100 last year and almost ran out. If I didn't answer the door quick enough a few kids just opened the door and called for me too! LOL!

Old 09-24-2009, 09:58 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,881,285 times
Here they trick or treat on halloween regardless the day of the week.

However the "commercialized" trick or treating, ie malls, festivals etc usually schedule that on the weekend day.

This year I am not sure yet how it will all work. Charlotte,com has a great holiday events in the zevents section. I imagine it will start publishing it soon.

On a side note, I am a fan of those concert at the fountains at the outdoor malls they have here. Providence of Commons did away with theirs this month and said they aren't doing any Halloween events either.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:04 AM

797 posts, read 2,980,628 times
I'm a native of 37 years and that's one question I keep hearing over and over again. In Charlotte we celebrate the day it is. I guess it confuses me why people would do it any other way and how would that even get communicated to do it any other way?

Old 09-24-2009, 01:25 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,089,694 times
Where I grew up it was always done on the Saturday before or after Halloween (can't remember which). We were only allowed to do it during the day. Not sure exactly why, but it did allow us to have a town Halloween parade which made it easier to hit the uptown places for candy. After the parade you would immediately go to the Moose, VFW & American Legion for a bunch of candy and then you would hit the houses smelling like stale perfume, cigarettes & booze. Those smells seem to seep into your clothes.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:04 PM

314 posts, read 1,025,571 times
In St. Louis, where I grew up, it was always done on Halloween, regardless of the day of the week (or weather). My wife stayed up with her mother in PA, which she moved to somewhat recently, and in her town all of the trick or treating is done on the 30th. It's done on the 30th, regardless of the day of the week or weather, which makes no sense to me. I can understand some places making it the Saturday before or after or something like that, out of convenience to the parents. Making it a day off for no apparent reason baffles me.

I'm glad that it's done on the holiday here. It just seems weird to do it any other time.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:41 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,936,511 times
Los Angeles area, where i grew up, did it on the day of Halloween.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:01 AM

285 posts, read 712,118 times
this sounds crazy saying it, but in NY the kids would come home from school and go out in the daytime. This is a no no in our new neighborhood, only at night. Who knew? no one told us.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:27 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,651,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kidsmama View Post
this sounds crazy saying it, but in NY the kids would come home from school and go out in the daytime. This is a no no in our new neighborhood, only at night. Who knew? no one told us.
That's true. Different parts of the country have different traditions on halloween.

When I grew up, we got home from school, rushed to put on our costumes and combed the neighborhood. Usually the younger you were, the earlier you had to come in.....that was it...

Here, many people hang out together and make a party out of it in their own driveway...that was strange to me at first, but you adapt.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:12 PM

165 posts, read 506,554 times
I am counting down the days and working on all my Halloween projects. I hope Halloween is big this year due to it falling on a Saturday. Can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte