Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 02:55 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,464,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Wasn't there a movie a few years ago with 2 white women with the same name??

no clue what you are talking about?

Old 11-03-2009, 03:45 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,166,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
no clue what you are talking about?
me, either. But I am curious what the point was, lol!!!

Old 11-03-2009, 03:53 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,665,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
The first time I ever heard the idiotic term "baby daddy" was when Michelle Obama introduced her husband, as "her baby daddy". Tells me quite a bit about her. I would guess that the success will be as great as the million man march. What ever happened to encouraging people to speak proper English?
Encouragement to speak proper English went out the window when the U.S. public saw a blathering, semi-literate half-wit giving Presidential speeches for the previous eight years.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
It is a fact that an overwhelmingly large percent of crime is commited by youth where the father is absent.
That is actually not a "fact". There is some research to support that contention, much of which dates back a few decades, but there is also a substantial body of work which seems to indicate that there is no significant difference in delinquency rates amoung children raised in two-parent vs. single-parent homes. There seem to be a number of factors involved in such outcomes, but parental structure (single-vs-two parent) does not seem to account for a substantial amount of the variance in many recent studies.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Wasn't there a movie a few years ago with 2 white women with the same name??
I think that was the one with Tina Fey and some other lady from Saturday Night Live...wasn't all that funny...or even that good.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:01 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,449,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
That is actually not a "fact". There is some research to support that contention, much of which dates back a few decades, but there is also a substantial body of work which seems to indicate that there is no significant difference in delinquency rates amoung children raised in two-parent vs. single-parent homes. There seem to be a number of factors involved in such outcomes, but parental structure (single-vs-two parent) does not seem to account for a substantial amount of the variance in many recent studies.
Tober - I seem to recall reading that info too! I'd be willing to bet that income would play a much more substantial role than the two-parent vs. one parent issue.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:14 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,851,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Encouragement to speak proper English went out the window when the U.S. public saw a blathering, semi-literate half-wit giving Presidential speeches for the previous eight years.
Yet he was replaced by someone with half his wit and intelligence. And, with no "Baby Daddy".

Old 11-04-2009, 11:27 AM

34 posts, read 93,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
What if you dont know your babies daddy or you its not who you think it is? Are there free do overs? Jerry Springer seem's to have alot of those people.
No It's actually the Maury Show that have alot of those people.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:30 AM

714 posts, read 2,298,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I applaud anyone for trying to make stronger family unions.
What bugs me is . . . all it takes to get married is a marriage license, a judge and 2 witnesses. It doesn't take a wedding. A wedding does not a marriage make.

So my thoughts are . . . if people just wanna get married . . . why does it take an EVENT for them to go get married?
Ani, I agree with you on pretty much your whole post, and I even tried to rate your post, but apparently I must spread more love before I go rating your posts positively again... but these statements bother me just a little...

You say "A wedding does not a marriage make" and "...why does it take an EVENT for them to go get married?"

Did you only have a judge and 2 witnesses at your wedding? I know I sure didn't. I had an "event" although it wasn't a huge one. I imagine most people responding to this thread had an "event" themselves.

Our weddings don't make our marriages, true, but ceremonies are still important rituals to help humans mark critical milestones in their lives and they serve an emotional purpose as well. Christenings help people celebrate the joy of a new birth, and welcome a new life in the world. Marriages help couples "feel" married socially, and give them fond memories that may one day help them work through tougher times. Funerals and memorials are necessary to help us emotionally let go of a loved one.

The wedding ceremony serves a great purpose, and some people need it, just as others think it's nothing more than a waste of time. Some of these couples may have held off getting married because they didn't have the money for an "event" or were saving up for an "event". I completely understand why it's necessary, and welcome, even if it's not absolutely required to have an official "marriage" on paper.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:00 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,464,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
Ani, I agree with you on pretty much your whole post, and I even tried to rate your post, but apparently I must spread more love before I go rating your posts positively again... but these statements bother me just a little...

You say "A wedding does not a marriage make" and "...why does it take an EVENT for them to go get married?"

Did you only have a judge and 2 witnesses at your wedding? I know I sure didn't. I had an "event" although it wasn't a huge one. I imagine most people responding to this thread had an "event" themselves.

Our weddings don't make our marriages, true, but ceremonies are still important rituals to help humans mark critical milestones in their lives and they serve an emotional purpose as well. Christenings help people celebrate the joy of a new birth, and welcome a new life in the world. Marriages help couples "feel" married socially, and give them fond memories that may one day help them work through tougher times. Funerals and memorials are necessary to help us emotionally let go of a loved one.

The wedding ceremony serves a great purpose, and some people need it, just as others think it's nothing more than a waste of time. Some of these couples may have held off getting married because they didn't have the money for an "event" or were saving up for an "event". I completely understand why it's necessary, and welcome, even if it's not absolutely required to have an official "marriage" on paper.

event = having a baby out of wed lock
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte