U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 09:46 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,032,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Just because I don't have a confederate bumper sticker doesn't mean I am not a "real southerner". We love nice people regardless of where they are from. Many of us had non-slave holding ancestors that were in this war and fought proudly simply to protect their homeland from a war that many didn't want in the first place. The federal government was even a pain in the ass back then. The other side of my family were immigrants that settled in the north.
I hear you.
Easter Sunday family reunion (annually for well over 100 years) at the homeplace (Liberty, NC) built by my great-grandmother's grandfather.
They were poor sharecroppers never wealthy slave owners, proudly fought for the South in the War of Northern Aggression.
My great-grandmother was born in this house and I am proud that my children can visit it these years later.
I've traveled the world, but IMHO something is lost in this jet age with people leaving their roots with little concern for their history...

Last edited by mullman; 09-26-2009 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 10:03 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
What a gem! Now, that is a treasure and yes, a bit of the South that still exists. So glad your family has made the effort to preserve it.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:34 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,284,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Exactly Ani, I am VERY observant going so far as taking pics of funny bumper stickers and posting online. Confederate stickers are quite rare in Charlotte proper, but do exist in the the outlying areas and small towns.
I agree. I would assume that most of the vehicles with such stickers and placards belong to people who live in some of the outlying towns.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:21 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,065,753 times
Mullman-how wonderful that the property is still with your family. What great memories and if the walls could talk. Has anyone written a history of the home & occupants?

Old 09-26-2009, 06:12 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,087,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Just because I don't have a confederate bumper sticker doesn't mean I am not a "real southerner". We love nice people regardless of where they are from. Many of us had non-slave holding ancestors that were in this war and fought proudly simply to protect their homeland from a war that many didn't want in the first place. The federal government was even a pain in the ass back then. The other side of my family were immigrants that settled in the north.
Uh.... I was quoting someone else, hence the quotes.... just pointing them in the direction of Kannapolis since they seem to be in search of confederate flags and whatnot, or some sort of perceived authenticity. I have no idea what people mean when they say "real Southerner." Seems there are about a hundred different definitions of it just like there are for every "real insert region/city here" label. Me having lived down here for only a year means pretty much anyone who's lived here longer than me is a "real southerner" in my book!

Old 09-27-2009, 10:33 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,708,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I agree. I would assume that most of the vehicles with such stickers and placards belong to people who live in some of the outlying towns.
That has to do with the fear that someone will have the windows busted out if it's parked with a visible confederates flag in certain areas. Freedom of expression is permitted on a limited basis these days.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:36 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,708,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
Uh.... I was quoting someone else, hence the quotes.... just pointing them in the direction of Kannapolis since they seem to be in search of confederate flags and whatnot, or some sort of perceived authenticity. I have no idea what people mean when they say "real Southerner." Seems there are about a hundred different definitions of it just like there are for every "real insert region/city here" label. Me having lived down here for only a year means pretty much anyone who's lived here longer than me is a "real southerner" in my book!
I'm sorry if I appeared to be beligerant. I really wasn't. I was just ranting. I liked your posting.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:28 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,637,402 times
Quote:
, proudly fought for the South in the War of Northern Aggression.
LOL, a little sensitive aren't we?.....

Old 09-27-2009, 02:37 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,032,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
LOL, a little sensitive aren't we?.....
Never forget that history is written by the victors...

Old 09-27-2009, 02:44 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,637,402 times
Quote:
Never forget that history is written by the victors...
Oh, it doesn't bother me...you can call it what you want. I was just tweaking y'all that's all......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or