U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 05:40 PM

422 posts, read 1,752,466 times

Advertisements

I have been in Charlotte for 4 days now and I wanted to share what I thought about it. I have been trying to find any sort of job to make ends meet until I can find a better paying job sometime in the future. However this isn't really working so I just might end up going back north. I made the journey from Maine.

There are some people here that are very friendly and helpful and other people that are downright rude/racist. I actually ended up talking to a few homeless people who were some of the friendliest homeless people ever. One man didnt want to ask me for money but asked me if I could buy a snack or food for him in exchange for cleaning my car. On another occassion, I got lost in a predominantly black neighborhood and I stopped on the side of the street to look at a map and a man from his house came out and told me to "get the hell out of here." At first I thought he was asking if he could 'help me out of here', but I think I just made him more mad at me- I wasnt even doing anything bad, he could have obviously noticed I was lost- especially with Maine license plates. Other times people have been very helpful to me. As someone said to me "everyone around Charlotte wants to know your business"- unlike in Northern New England for example where people dont really question what you're doing, no matter how wacky or weird you seem. If you walk around with a bag or something, expect cops and strangers to wonder what you're up to.

I am a bit annoyed by how basic food items are taxed, also when I bought a standard shirt to wear around town it was taxed at 8.5%- arent we required to wear clothes?

Uptown is very quaint and beautiful- the whole city in general is nice and laid back- The town feels like Portland, ME to me except without the ocean and fewer characters. Although you get a good mix of people doing different activities. The traffic patterns are a bit strange because you cant turn left or right on a lot of streets, making it difficult to navigate, however, traffic/parking was not a problem at all anywhere I went. One thing that struck me was how dead many of the bars have seemed even during the weekdays. A few places had a fair amount of people, including "coyote joes"- a country style bar that plays country music.

Many people in Charlotte seem to be very proud to be from the south- many of them told me about traditions and things that 'havent changed since they were kids.' There are cars with confederate flag stickers on them. Nascar is a big sport here. Panthers pride is everywhere too. Religion plays a large role in the community and how people view politics. There is also a large mix of other kinds of people, and most everyone is welcoming and open to diversity.

Overall, Charlotte seems like a nice place to live and work- there is a large variety of activities to do and nice weather. For those that can find the work I say move here. Anyways, thanks for reading.

Last edited by tkx7; 09-24-2009 at 05:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 08:25 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,291,213 times
That seems like a fair assessment of our city. Thanks for sharing; glad the good outweighed the bad.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:40 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,589,638 times
Baffled. You've been here 4 DAYS and are thinking about going back already?

Old 09-24-2009, 08:41 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,106,172 times
If he doesn't have a job, he better cut his losses and go back. It'll be a LONG time before he finds one in Charlotte!!

Old 09-24-2009, 09:11 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
I have been in Charlotte for 4 days now and I wanted to share what I thought about it. I have been trying to find any sort of job to make ends meet until I can find a better paying job sometime in the future. However this isn't really working so I just might end up going back north. I made the journey from Maine.

There are some people here that are very friendly and helpful and other people that are downright rude/racist. I actually ended up talking to a few homeless people who were some of the friendliest homeless people ever. One man didnt want to ask me for money but asked me if I could buy a snack or food for him in exchange for cleaning my car. On another occassion, I got lost in a predominantly black neighborhood and I stopped on the side of the street to look at a map and a man from his house came out and told me to "get the hell out of here." At first I thought he was asking if he could 'help me out of here', but I think I just made him more mad at me- I wasnt even doing anything bad, he could have obviously noticed I was lost- especially with Maine license plates. Other times people have been very helpful to me. As someone said to me "everyone around Charlotte wants to know your business"- unlike in Northern New England for example where people dont really question what you're doing, no matter how wacky or weird you seem. If you walk around with a bag or something, expect cops and strangers to wonder what you're up to.

I am a bit annoyed by how basic food items are taxed, also when I bought a standard shirt to wear around town it was taxed at 8.5%- arent we required to wear clothes?

Uptown is very quaint and beautiful- the whole city in general is nice and laid back- The town feels like Portland, ME to me except without the ocean and fewer characters. Although you get a good mix of people doing different activities. The traffic patterns are a bit strange because you cant turn left or right on a lot of streets, making it difficult to navigate, however, traffic/parking was not a problem at all anywhere I went. One thing that struck me was how dead many of the bars have seemed even during the weekdays. A few places had a fair amount of people, including "coyote joes"- a country style bar that plays country music.

Many people in Charlotte seem to be very proud to be from the south- many of them told me about traditions and things that 'havent changed since they were kids.' There are cars with confederate flag stickers on them. Nascar is a big sport here. Panthers pride is everywhere too. Religion plays a large role in the community and how people view politics. There is also a large mix of other kinds of people, and most everyone is welcoming and open to diversity.

Overall, Charlotte seems like a nice place to live and work- there is a large variety of activities to do and nice weather. For those that can find the work I say move here. Anyways, thanks for reading.
I appreciate your honesty and sincerely hope you find work soon

Old 09-24-2009, 09:13 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,865,113 times
You must forgive the encounter with the idiot and the nosey people here. They seem to go hand in hand. I was driving Wednesday and rode by this elderly man sitting on his car and he stared at me as if he wanted to kill me. There are some intelligent , decent people here as well as some absolute , positive dumbasses who believe the planet formed to cater to their every whim. They can be a royal pain to deal with and keep from hitting with your car , but overall , they can be avoided mostly , if not altogether. As far as employment , there are some jobs available in the security field that may hold you over until something better appears. For information , visit www.indeed.com.

Last edited by etacarinae; 09-24-2009 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: omitted information.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:38 PM

12,405 posts, read 7,457,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
also when I bought a standard shirt to wear around town it was taxed at 8.5%- arent we required to wear clothes?
Does Maine not have sales tax for clothes?!

Old 09-24-2009, 11:30 PM

422 posts, read 1,752,466 times
I forgot to mention that I like how Charlotte feels like a small town but with all the amenities of a large city. Five minutes out of Uptown on the highway and you are surrounded by trees, not billboards and apartment buildings like other cities. It made me feel good. Also, drivers are much more curtious and relaxed than New York or Boston for example. Ironically, Charlotteans dont see driving somewhere as a "race" like other areas in the US, but rather as a team effort- even if you drive fast it doesnt really save you time when everyone reaches a red light anyways. No toll booths is also a real benefit.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:59 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,273,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
If he doesn't have a job, he better cut his losses and go back. It'll be a LONG time before he finds one in Charlotte!!

You can say that about nearly every other state too. Just take a peek over at the New Jersey forum. At one time they had no less than three threads with people freaked about whether or not their UE was to be extended. Nobody was getting bites on their resumes either. It got bad enough where one thread is now stickied, and it might even be the one where people from various other state forums were posting in too.

Charlotte isn't all that much different than most places in this country right now.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:59 AM

370 posts, read 651,123 times
A lot of uptown restaraunts are hiring wait staff and I have a friend that makes very good money doing this.

Best of luck!

I hope you stick around, I love Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or