U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 02:18 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,924,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
The plan isn't dead. .....
"The head of Charlotte Area Transit System said Thursday a long-range plan the system’s board approved in 2006 is “no longer financially feasible” and will need to be reviewed and updated in the coming months."

Looks like English to me. Amazing how many people argue against reality. Of course if you can cough up something that would indicate that a decision has been made to even look at a new plan to replace it then I would love to see it. However I have not seen that you have much of a record here of offering up anything that it close to a valid fact so I won't get my hopes up.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:24 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
You obviously can't read. The article quoted the transit chief as the 2030 plan being dead. You are offering your opinion.
Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and hoping for a different result. I would have thought you might have figured this out by say... maybe.... 250,000 times or so. Even bobo usually stops around 100K.
Clearly everyone here can read - you are just being rude

The difference is in comprehening the material. You see something there that alarms you, that's fine. Most of us just see this as something that will need to be revised and reworked to get transit to the north back on track and we do believe it will happen. You remind me of the boy who cried wolf all the time

Old 09-25-2009, 02:48 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,985,027 times
Quote:
"The head of Charlotte Area Transit System said Thursday a long-range plan the system’s board approved in 2006 is “no longer financially feasible” and will need to be reviewed and updated in the coming months."

Looks like English to me. Amazing how many people argue against reality. Of course if you can cough up something that would indicate that a decision has been made to even look at a new plan to replace it then I would love to see it. However I have not seen that you have much of a record here of offering up anything that it close to a valid fact so I won't get my hopes up.
What you fail to understand is that is exactly what is being suggested in that article. FYE, for your education, the 2030 plan was born out of the need to revise the 2025 plan in 2006. That’s what happens; you revise these things as time dictates. The article you linked even had the following quote in it….

“The 2030 Transit Corridor System Plan voted on by the MTC in 2006 is no longer financially feasible given today’s economy,” Mr. Muth said. So he wants the MTC to come up with a new plan. “In the upcoming months the MTC will need to review and update the plan…”

To quote the Mayor when folks were trying to repeal the transit tax, “That train left the station a long time ago.” As others have said in this thread, the days of us being Mayberry, or Greensboro for that matter, are gone. Mass transit is a part of our existence today, and will continue be part of our future. The anti-train folks should really just get over it already.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:01 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
What you fail to understand is that is exactly what is being suggested in that article. FYE, for your education, the 2030 plan was born out of the need to revise the 2025 plan in 2006. That’s what happens; you revise these things as time dictates. The article you linked even had the following quote in it….

“The 2030 Transit Corridor System Plan voted on by the MTC in 2006 is no longer financially feasible given today’s economy,” Mr. Muth said. So he wants the MTC to come up with a new plan. “In the upcoming months the MTC will need to review and update the plan…”

To quote the Mayor when folks were trying to repeal the transit tax, “That train left the station a long time ago.” As others have said in this thread, the days of us being Mayberry, or Greensboro for that matter, are gone. Mass transit is a part of our existence today, and will continue be part of our future. The anti-train folks should really just get over it already.
Makes sense to me.

As anyone knows who deals with strategic planning - plans can set up goals but goals often need revising. With the current economic situation, I would think the wise thing to do would be review and revise.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:36 PM

Of course revise and review is required as I have said that all along. Who would not want that? (well except for certain people posting in this topic) But what is needed first is accountability. I posted this as part of the OP. i.e. Why are we still paying taxes for something we are not getting? Why are we still paying taxes on something on something that was promised and has no hopes of being delivered on.

The point is the people were told certain that if they voted to be taxed, they would get X in return. X didn't happen, so stop the tax until they can come up with a plan that can be implemented. The "economy sucks" is nothing but another excuse for not delivering on a plan. CATS used this same excuse when it was discovered they blew all their contingency, $30M, during the Lynx construction in 2006. This was just the beginnings of the mismanagement of that project. Yet people were willing then to stand up and make excuses for their mismanagement at that time too.

Review is the least they can do. They should be doing a full scale investigation on where CATS is spending all this money with nothing to show for it.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:25 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,137 times
Quote:

It says "reviewed and updated", not stopped. Guess you might not be as good at English as you think. As far as your sarcastic comment that I haven't offered up anything that is close to valid, I would like to inform you that I have not been involved in this discussion. I only contradicted you erroneous statement. If you had any background in business or planning, you would understand that situations change and occasionally plans must be updated and reviewed to facilitate the changes. Reviewing and updating doesn't mean "stopping".

Old 09-25-2009, 05:00 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,985,027 times
Quote:
...The point is the people were told certain that if they voted to be taxed, they would get X in return. X didn't happen, so stop the tax until they can come up with a plan that can be implemented...
Again, they will revise the plan, and they've done that before. That's what the article you posted is saying. Keep in mind too, the 2030 plan you keep referencing, just like the 2025 plan, is a "long range plan". Hence the use of the year 2030 in the title. Its very disingenuous for you to continue to insinuate that by now we should have trains running all over the city. That was never the case. Its just 2009. CATS could actually still meet all its timelines. Most importantly, as vindaloo said, nothing has "stopped".

2030 Plan: ingage Publication - page flipping digital publications or the web or CD.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Again, they will revise the plan, and they've done that before.....
Do we have your word on this?

Of course they have been revising the plan since 1998. Time to take the tax away until a project can be put in place that can be built. Then the people can decide to fund it or not. It's going to happen anyway as the suburban mayors hold a majority of the vote on the MTC and aside from that, each of them individually can leave the taxing agreement and keep their portion of the transit tax for their own uses. I see it coming because there is no hope of CATS cleaning up their house without being forced.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:11 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,034,489 times
Quote:
Do we have your word on this?

Of course they have been revising the plan since 1998.
Pfft!
Our beltline has been on the plans since the mid 70s, well documented in The Observer.
It is STILL not finished...

Raleigh has one and building a second.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Pfft!
Our beltline has been on the plans since the mid 70s, well documented in The Observer.
It is STILL not finished...

Raleigh has one and building a second.
So you are contending that CATS should be given a free pass to be as bad as the NCDOT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte