U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 05:49 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,984,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Do we have your word on this?

Of course they have been revising the plan since 1998. Time to take the tax away until a project can be put in place that can be built. Then the people can decide to fund it or not. It's going to happen anyway as the suburban mayors hold a majority of the vote on the MTC and aside from that, each of them individually can leave the taxing agreement and keep their portion of the transit tax for their own uses. I see it coming because there is no hope of CATS cleaning up their house without being forced.
You're insinuating the suburban mayors don't want rail, which couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, the mayors of Huntersville, Cornelius and Davidson have started their own lobbying efforts to get matching federal funds. You can't get matching funds if you don't have anything to match, i.e. the transit tax revenue. And keep in mind, the City of Charlotte can only approve CATS budget

Old 09-25-2009, 06:38 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,924,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
You're insinuating the suburban mayors don't want rail, which couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, the mayors of Huntersville, Cornelius and Davidson have started thei.
Nope wrong again and the kind of response that I mentioned above. Holding CATS accountable for spending and priorities does not mean that one is anti-transit. It means that one is actually for transit as the irresponsible spending of scarce transit money should be watched closely by those who are elected to decide these things. The suburban Mayors from what I can see are tired of giving control of the money to a department of the city of Charlotte, since the Charlotte city council has failed to do anything about it. Hence they will use their power to do something about fixing the issue.

Holding CATS responsible for how it spends money is not being anti-transit. I spoke of this in the OP. Amazing how we keep coming back to those kinds of accusations as compensation for lack of any kind of defense for CATS accomplishments vs money spent otherwise.

Finally, we are always one election away from electing a set of suburban Mayors who are very anti-transit. At least one of the candidates for mayor in Huntersville is taking this up as a position. We will know more after election day in November.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:41 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,033,770 times
Quote:
So you are contending that CATS should be given a free pass to be as bad as the NCDOT?
I DON'T give CATS a free pass, have you read my other posts?!
It's all government BS; vote EVERY time, although Democracy certainly has doomed us.
FWIW my neighbor is a high level engineer/planner for our light rail [under Tober] - I could tell some stories, but I fear it is not worth the effort.

Last edited by mullman; 09-25-2009 at 06:58 PM..

Old 09-25-2009, 06:43 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Well, I am sure all these department funds get audited. I guess that is public info. I would assume the tax revenue is going to the budget in an appropriate fashion. If it all looks right on paper, then there is nothing anyone can complain about, is there?

ETA - not making excuses for how the funds are used in this city. I am not impressed with the way city or county gov't is run here.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, I am sure all these department funds get audited. I guess that is public info. I would assume the tax revenue is going to the budget in an appropriate fashion. If it all looks right on paper, then there is nothing anyone can complain about, is there?

ETA - not making excuses for how the funds are used in this city. I am not impressed with the way city or county gov't is run here.

Auditors are employed to check for criminal uses of the money. They will check what city policy says they should be checking for. Auditors don't do anything to validate transit policy or if the money we are being taxed for is being put to good use. If you are happy with the results of paying a 1/2 percent sales tax to a department of the city of Charlotte, without holding them accountable for results, then you don't have any complaints. I've listed mine above as have the Mayors of the towns that are also turning over their portion of the tax to Charlotte.

I seem to remember you starting a topic about the 1% tax imposed by the NC state goverment. Why not the same scrutney towards a transit tax that isn't providing transit?

Old 09-25-2009, 07:11 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,984,593 times
Quote:
Nope wrong again and the kind of response that I mentioned above. Holding CATS accountable for spending and priorities does not mean that one is anti-transit. It means that one is actually for transit as the irresponsible spending of scarce transit money should be watched closely by those who are elected to decide these things. The suburban Mayors from what I can see are tired of giving control of the money to a department of the city of Charlotte, since the Charlotte city council has failed to do anything about it. Hence they will use their power to do something about fixing the issue.

Holding CATS responsible for how it spends money is not being anti-transit. I spoke of this in the OP. Amazing how we keep coming back to those kinds of accusations as compensation for lack of any kind of defense for CATS accomplishments vs money spent otherwise.

Finally, we are always one election away from electing a set of suburban Mayors who are very anti-transit. At least one of the candidates for mayor in Huntersville is taking this up as a position. We will know more after election day in November.
You keep talking about accountability. Suggesting there's some fraud going on. If they're getting matching federal dollars, I guarantee you there's some type of audit process they have to comply with. There's nothing fradulent when you have to revise a plan that depends on tax revenue, because that tax revenue has fallen, we are in a recession after all. There are other factors that have caused these plans to be revised, but I've yet to hear any that suggest some type of "shenanigans" are going on.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:35 PM

7,104 posts, read 9,698,581 times
Default Some background how taxes go bye-bye

In 1937. . . Yep 1937 the city of NY decided to build another tunnnel for the East Side of Manhattan. A tax referendum was put on the ballot and passed. Taxes were collected. Every 15 or 20 years the same issue comes up and it's put on the ballot and passes. Most ppl. know absolutely nothing what the issue is. It always passes..

Construction continues. Closer every year to finishing. 2009 is it done? No.Taxes being paid and is there ANYBODY out there that knows where the money went?Noooooooooooooooo.
When will it be done? Duh.

Maybe this is what OP has a problem with?

Old 09-25-2009, 09:12 PM

81 posts, read 129,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
In 1937. . . Yep 1937 the city of NY decided to build another tunnnel for the East Side of Manhattan. A tax referendum was put on the ballot and passed. Taxes were collected. Every 15 or 20 years the same issue comes up and it's put on the ballot and passes. Most ppl. know absolutely nothing what the issue is. It always passes..

Construction continues. Closer every year to finishing. 2009 is it done? No.Taxes being paid and is there ANYBODY out there that knows where the money went?Noooooooooooooooo.

OP is just a faux-libertarian, always bitching and complaining about the government expending tax-payer's money on it's people while burning through tax-payer's cash in Iraq is perfectly okay, though he will deny it. I bet he also wants the tax on gas gone--of course, he would probably mentally ignore the fact that it pays for the roads he drives on, just like every faux-libertarians that have pop-up since the decline of the GOP. I bet that this same person will ***** and complain when the government will have to tax milage when alternate energy vehicle start becoming the norm.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:48 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,864,467 times
Forgive my previous post... I have an overall disdain for public transport stemming from days when I was a teen and it was 'cool' to take the bus and hang out downtown. But I still wonder from time to time what exactly transpires in politicians' minds. I've a tendency to be a bit scratchy when I've been up for 18 or more hours consecutively.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post

I would be happy even if CATS was digging up the ground somewhere on a project. They are not even doing that. But they do know how to grow their organization though. This in an organization that has been cutting service and losing ridership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte