U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 04:03 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,941,151 times

Advertisements

An article appeared in the Davidson Paper where the new head of CATS has said they can't build more trains because there isn't enough money. See ths:

http://davidsonnews.net/2009/09/25/c...nger-feasible/

This article is focused on the North Commuter Rail, which can be started today because they do have the money for that, but CATS is saying the who transit plan is dead.

I find this amazing because just 2 years ago, CATS, every business leader in downtown, the banks and the two guys running for Mayor of Charlotte all urged the people to vote down the repeal of the transit tax. This repeal was put on the ballot in the first place because CATS had wasted, yes wasted, $100M on the Lynx train. Stupid stuff like building boiler rooms too small to hold the boilers. Then there is there is the ticket machines that are always broke, and stupid ass stuff like the $100s of thousands on those disk plow artwork on South Blvd.

$100M is a huge amount of money to waste and this is why the people were given the right to vote down this 1/2 cent sales tax as allowed in NC Law. The Uptown crowd spent millions on a character assignation/propaganda plan to turn out the vote against the appeal. They said that if it is voted in, we would get trains all over Charlotte, have cleaner air, enjoy stress free travel, and look world class. Never mind they didn't have any plans to really do this.

Now here we are two years later, and none of it is going to happen, but we are still paying that transit tax and the money still flows into CATS with no accountability. They are blaming the economy on their failure to perform, but what they don't say, is their have a bigger budget this year than ever before.

If there has been a bigger scam of the local taxpayer's pocket books I don't know what it. I am not anti-transit, but I sure has hell don't want to be paying for transit that never materializes. Where is all this money going?

Old 09-25-2009, 04:51 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,006,908 times
Give it a rest bro.

Ever consider moving away from this place? You sure don't seem real pleased when dang near ANYTHING 'round here. Getting away is more feasible than correcting the score of issues you come up with weekly...

Old 09-25-2009, 04:58 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,871,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
An article appeared in the Davidson Paper where the new head of CATS has said they can't build more trains because there isn't enough money. See ths:

http://davidsonnews.net/2009/09/25/c...nger-feasible/

This article is focused on the North Commuter Rail, which can be started today because they do have the money for that, but CATS is saying the who transit plan is dead.

I find this amazing because just 2 years ago, CATS, every business leader in downtown, the banks and the two guys running for Mayor of Charlotte all urged the people to vote down the repeal of the transit tax. This repeal was put on the ballot in the first place because CATS had wasted, yes wasted, $100M on the Lynx train. Stupid stuff like building boiler rooms too small to hold the boilers. Then there is there is the ticket machines that are always broke, and stupid ass stuff like the $100s of thousands on those disk plow artwork on South Blvd.

$100M is a huge amount of money to waste and this is why the people were given the right to vote down this 1/2 cent sales tax as allowed in NC Law. The Uptown crowd spent millions on a character assignation/propaganda plan to turn out the vote against the appeal. They said that if it is voted in, we would get trains all over Charlotte, have cleaner air, enjoy stress free travel, and look world class. Never mind they didn't have any plans to really do this.

Now here we are two years later, and none of it is going to happen, but we are still paying that transit tax and the money still flows into CATS with no accountability. They are blaming the economy on their failure to perform, but what they don't say, is their have a bigger budget this year than ever before.

If there has been a bigger scam of the local taxpayer's pocket books I don't know what it. I am not anti-transit, but I sure has hell don't want to be paying for transit that never materializes. Where is all this money going?

Given the overall lack of professionalism , it's probably being used to line their pockets.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:08 AM

7,109 posts, read 9,728,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Give it a rest bro.

Ever consider moving away from this place? You sure don't seem real pleased when dang near ANYTHING 'round here. Getting away is more feasible than correcting the score of issues you come up with weekly...
I consider Lumbullo's posts the "quality information" on this forum board. It is always backed by information that anyone is free to challenge, add to, not read or otherwise ignore.

I welcome Lumbullo's posts as I am learning each day a little more about Charlotte and would welcome those that feel his information might be flawed to respond.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:13 AM

Default Eta

The tread is "why are we still paying taxes?" Why would anyone object to the exploration of this inquiry? That's beyond me. Would one rather sit back with their head in the sand and say "your always complaining"?

Be pro-active it's a lot more fun.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:16 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,006,908 times
The bottom line is that the populace VOTED to keep the tax. It's what the people want... not what Lumbollo wants.

And the idea that CATS execs are "lining their pockets" is absurd.

I just get frustrated with all the negative crap. Let's face it, in today's economy you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to find problems...

And why start a new thread everytime some gripe crosses his mind? Couldn't he have stuck in his OTHER north line thread not even halfway down the page? Or maybe he should just have a sticky thread at the top titled "Lumbollo's Daily Dirt" where he can post his latest pressing missives...

Old 09-25-2009, 06:16 AM

^^^^There's always the option of the heavy bag at the gym? lol.
Yep, a lot of fustrated ppl. during these very trying times but his"gripes" are trying to help not hurt. . . don't you think?

Old 09-25-2009, 06:36 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,941,151 times
Thanks Pink Caddy. I expected to have the character assignation, that I spoke of in my OP directed at me for bringing it up. We are getting taxed for nothing but if anyone ever questions what CATS is doing with the money, the immediate reaction is to tar & feather them and hope that shuts them up. It's very predictable and the reason they are getting away with wasting 100s of millions of dollars. How many of us like paying out that kind of money for no results?

There was nothing offensive in my post if you are a tax payer and want to know why you are being taxed for no results. The article that I pointed to is to a legitimate newspaper, a newspaper which BTW is very pro-transit, yet none of that is considered, just a personal attack towards me for even questioning where the money is going and how we were essentially lied to by the ones pushing for the tax.

Finally, for you guys who just can't take what I post, don't read my posts it's that simple. I am going to assume that if I break the rules you will immediately and gleefully report me to a moderator so I will use them as a guide as to what is appropriate or not appropriate to post on this forum.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:47 AM

755 posts, read 2,244,680 times
Quote:
The bottom line is that the populace VOTED to keep the tax. It's what the people want... not what Lumbollo wants.
Or is it what they were duped into voting for?

Old 09-25-2009, 06:50 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,049,329 times
Quote:
I just get frustrated with all the negative crap. Let's face it, in today's economy you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to find problems...
post of the week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte