Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:07 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,593,491 times

Advertisements

If people don't have a land line, what do they do about internet access?? I'm computer illiterate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 10:11 AM

646 posts, read 1,156,722 times
There are companies that offer cable Internet access (like TimeWarner), DSL which comes across a phone line (like ... AT&T, I guess). Heck, if you really wanted to get out there, there's also satellite.

I believe you can get DSL without getting the phone account.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:15 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
My brother (visiting from GA) was just telling us breakfast today that they use DSL via a landline that only supports the DSL.

It tells any callers that the phone number is "out of service" and it only allows outbound 911 calls.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:30 AM

6 posts, read 8,362 times
You will wish you still had your landline after you or your family are hurt after the next hurricane or tornado hits, and roads are blocked and cell towers are damaged. Good luck. Google "When all else fails".

Old 09-28-2009, 04:37 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I pay for a landline which only plugs into my burglar alarm, which also has a cellular backup.
We are totally wireless otherwise.
Same here. In fact we still have our old cel phone numbers (with MD and NY area codes respectively) that are basically our home phones. Its funny we'll go to places, like a dry-cleaner or a furniture store and they ask for the phone number and its like 410-XXX...and they're like, "what's the last number" and they get confused when I tell them there are 4 more numbers.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:38 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamRadioMan View Post
You will wish you still had your landline after you or your family are hurt after the next hurricane or tornado hits, and roads are blocked and cell towers are damaged. Good luck. Google "When all else fails".
I'll just break out my trusty old telegraph device

Old 09-28-2009, 05:16 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
We haven't had a traditional phone line in years. We had vonage for a long time and recently switched to Ooma. In a few months we'll break even and not have a phone bill anymore.

I don't think I can ever really give up the land line. I'm not a fan of being too available on my cell phone, I rarely give the number out. I'd rather people just leave me a message at home.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:39 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
If people don't have a land line, what do they do about internet access?? I'm computer illiterate
I have AT&T U-verse.
It's hundreds of channels that come in over the two-pair.
Whole house DVR lets you record and watch a show anywhere in the house.
Tape something downstairs and then want to watch in the bedroom, np.
Picture is so much clearer than cable since only what you are tuned into is coming into the house whereas cable feeds everything in and the box tunes it.
Much less compression on the AT&T system = clearer feed.
Internet is upto 18 Mbps down, I get 17 and change with the TVs off, say with two HD feeds running maybe 14.
1.5+ up.
Just kept a reg bare bone line for the burglar alarm, outgoing fax, and my wife's credit card machine for her hobby business.
We do not have a phone plugged into this line.
If you want to reach us, email, text, or call our iPhones (also AT&T).
It sure has cut down on cold calls and sales pitches.

Not an AT&T employee or stockholder, just a satisfied customer after 20+ years with Time Warner.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:43 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,054,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
We have internet through the cable line (coax cable) which connects to a cable modem.

Internet doesn't necessarily have to come through a telephone line only.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:16 PM

345 posts, read 871,291 times
bump up your cell phone plan.. get a magic jack for land line. I'm using it works fine.

It's been several years..we didn't have land line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte