Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:55 PM

72 posts, read 238,326 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

OK, so I've been reading a lot of horror stories about McCar homes on here...I am just curious if the homes are built poorly in this subdivision as well, because what I'm reading is that it's kind of subjective based on different neighborhoods. Any Moss Creekers want to chime in? Problems? Happy?

We really like a home for sale in Moss Creek, it was built in 2007. My heart really sunk today when I learned the house was built by McCar (It's been on the market for 6 months and I'm wondering if perhaps this is the reason).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 10:32 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
We've owned our McCarr for about 5 years now and have not had a problem that wasn't handled quickly and professionally by the builder and the subcontractor.

Not to say there weren't houses with problems (like any builder has), but we sure had some pretty loud naysayers on here awhile back.

I don't live in Moss Creek, but we did check it out when we were shopping. We had no problem at all with what we saw there. We just chose a McCarr in a different neighborhood, closer to where we both work.

Last edited by Stripes17; 04-12-2009 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-13-2009, 06:31 AM

743 posts, read 2,243,285 times
I have been in my home 2 1/2 years now. No major problems still some minor problems which hubby takes care of. Still lots of nail pops even after fixing tons of them and the second floor is now having squeaking boards which we can have looked at if found to be structual but other than than no other problems. I was one of the naysayers and that is due to lots of problems we encountered within the first year. If this is a resale, hopefully the initial owners had it all taken care of, if any. Just look carefully when doing the walk through.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:19 AM

311 posts, read 915,814 times
Nay-sayers? On city-data? what! =]

Old 04-13-2009, 11:21 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,464,840 times
I don't have much weight to chime in here with, but I did rent a McCarr home for nearly a year in Berewick. My beef was the sloppy craftsmanship. non-square walls, wavy walls and ceilings, electrical issues (didn't seem to be grounded properly due to light switches shocking all year long and a build up of hum noise in stereos), and the excessive amount of nail pops.

Then again, I'd venture to say that all normal home builders today have these issues. It seems like someone decided that we're gonna have to pay extra for quality nowadays...as if $200k wasn't enough for a job well done!

Old 09-01-2009, 06:15 PM

22 posts, read 75,837 times
I have a McCarr home and it has been great! Don't judge a book by a name....make an offer and let the inspector decide the condition of the home.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:26 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,748 times
I'm in an McCarr with no issues, other then nail pops, which is normal for new construction. Have not heard any neighbors with significant problems either.

I remember long ago, I was looking at homes in Fla and Centex had a horrible name down their at the time. Well, the wife and I fell in love with the perfect home(in our eyes), it was a year old resale and built by Centex. Our real estate agent talked us into the home(she lived in one) and we live in it for nine years. Never, ever, did we have a problem with the house, property or community. To this day, we miss that house. We miss the real estate agent too, she was an phenomenal agent.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:46 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
I'm glad to hear the reports Butterfly & Mike. Our neighbors and us have been really happy with our McCarr homes and I'm glad we're not alone!

(Now if only that resale value would kick up a bit once the economy starts to recover, I'd be in great shape!)

Old 09-01-2009, 10:09 PM

249 posts, read 875,060 times
Latest rumor is that mccar is in trouble... they are in our neighborhood (don't want to name it here) and they are not performing 11 month walk thru's and other warranty work.

These are posts from another forum, google is your friend if you so desire...

Posts are in reverse posting order.

Post 1
"I have my walkthru coming up next month and I saw this about McCar on another forum.

"McCar Homes out of Atlanta is in pretty rough shape. They have closed several division offices in Raleigh, Charlotte, and Greensboro, laying off the executives in those divisions. They are in arrears with most of their suppliers and subcontractors. It also appears that their lending facility is in peril."

If McCar goes under, the only thing we may have left is the underlying warranties from the materials manufacturers."

Post 2
"I've been having similar issues with McCar with my one year follow-up warranty service. I had it all scheduled back in January of this year and was supposed to be two half days of work. I had everything setup at work to make sure I could be home. Well, to make a long story short, the two half days of work turned into at least 6 full days of work. They couldn't seem to get anything done that they were supposed to. All along they couldn't keep to their appointments that I made with them. Then they put all work on hold for a couple months and left me in limbo wondering when the rest of the work was going to be done. Then in May, I get a letter from one of McCar's sub-contractors saying they are putting a lien on my house for work they did back in January. Turns out McCar couldn't pay them the $150 that was due to them for the work they did. The warranty work finally got finished in June, but the lien is still sitting out there on my house. Apparently a lawsuit was filed against McCar around them not paying the subcontractor. I also heard I wasn't the only one in this lien situation due to McCar not paying. Let's hope for the best and hope our warranties hold out."

Post 3
"We are due for our 11 month walkthrough to fix any outstanding issues. They sent us a letter and asked us to schedule within 15 days. We set up an appointment for this past Friday and my wife took the day off work to be here. About 30 minutes after they were supposed to show up, my wife calls our contact and gets no response, she ended up calling another McCar contact who said "Well if they're not there by now then they are not coming", but had no info. at all on the appt. being scheduled.

After another 10 or so phone calls, and a few left messages, someone new at McCar calls back and says that the contractor who was scheduled for our walkthrough got laid off, as well as the person who set up our appointment, and claims they are going out of business, that they are only finishing the remaining houses they've started and are now not honoring 11 month walkthroughs (which they of course included in all contracts). I'm investigating this further, but wanted to know if any other McCar owners were having similar experiences."

Old 09-02-2009, 11:43 AM

26 posts, read 52,794 times
I love Moss Creek...but I can't get past the annual $600 HOA dues to consider any home there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte