Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 07:34 PM

3 posts, read 5,064 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I will be relocating to the Charlotte area sometime in January 2010.

My job is located in Huntersville, NC but I've been thinking about moving closer to downtown. I'm 24 single male and never have lived near/in a big city and think it might be a nice change.

I've been looking at a lot of other posts and think I'm getting some good info as in where to live. I've heard NoDa (which I don't even know what that stands for) Dilworth, Uptown are all good. But then I've heard bad things about all as well.

I'm looking to rent a 1bd/1ba apartment. Can't decide on living in the city and where, or just staying in Huntersville? Anybody know how bad the commute might be?

Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 07:39 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteezy11 View Post
I've heard NoDa (which I don't even know what that stands for)

NoDa stands for the North Davidson area. There is one other person on here who will try to tell you different, but that's what it stands for.

If I was working in Huntersville, personally, I'd just live there. The Uptown to Huntersville commute is very traffic laden.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:45 AM

37 posts, read 64,746 times
I'm thinking that most people work in Charlotte and live outside. So, your commute might be against the normal flow of people traveling inward in the morning and outward in the evening. I don't know for sure, though.

I have heard Huntersville is fairly nice, though. It might be a good idea for you to rent for a while to "get the lay of the land."

Old 11-05-2009, 08:49 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteezy11 View Post
Hello all,

I will be relocating to the Charlotte area sometime in January 2010.

My job is located in Huntersville, NC but I've been thinking about moving closer to downtown. I'm 24 single male and never have lived near/in a big city and think it might be a nice change.

I've been looking at a lot of other posts and think I'm getting some good info as in where to live. I've heard NoDa (which I don't even know what that stands for) Dilworth, Uptown are all good. But then I've heard bad things about all as well.

I'm looking to rent a 1bd/1ba apartment. Can't decide on living in the city and where, or just staying in Huntersville? Anybody know how bad the commute might be?

Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
What is your budget? That can determine your options.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,064 times
Thanks for all the information thus far everybody.

I'd like to stay in the $700-$800 range. I don't need anymore than a 1bd/1ba and I don't have any furniture yet except a bedroom set so that shouldn't be an issue. I have noticed on a bunch of different apartments in the are all offer "washer/dryer hookups" rather than automatically including them which is a huge difference from down here in FL. Of the few I've asked, most are an extra $50/month...

Old 11-05-2009, 08:22 PM

7 posts, read 24,223 times
You can find good deals dealing directly with the owner of a condo, and you might have a better chance of a w/d included - check craigslist. As others have said, Dilworth, Myers Park, and Elizabeth are all great neighborhoods minutes from uptown.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:49 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,098 times
Traffic to Huntersville to Charlotte is bad in both directions now during rush hour especially when school is in session. Yesterday I drove over the highway on Stumpton Rd bridge around 5:15P and traffic was stopped dead in both directions. I would recommend that you live closer to Huntersville than NoDa unless you really like the inside of your car.

The problem isn't that traffic is bad in Huntersville, but that I-77 is simply too small for the amount of traffic that uses it. Add the commuters to it and it clogs up and then the other routes to Charlotte follow suit as people look for alternatives. Blame the NCDOT for this and there are no plans to update this road for at least 20 years.

As a compromise, there is a lot of new residential construction at NorthLake mall and there might be a brand new apartment/condo for rent there. This is at exit 18 on I-77 and is a fairly easy drive to downtown and somewhat so to Huntersville. Rent there for a while until you get a feel for the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte