Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:07 AM

105 posts, read 201,468 times

Advertisements

I would never buy in a HOA, for too many reason listed. For those who says as long as you follow the rules in other blogs, they will leave you alone. Not true. If someone don't like you for whatever reason they will find a reason to mess with you. If you want and like to follow rules. I am sure a Prison somewhere will do the same thing for you.

It is bad enough Government interfering with our lives and then to add this on top. NO WAY. These link are just a few sample of hoard of reasons not to buy in a HOA's People worried about getto. Then don't live in a getto neighborhood. To me it is double taxes. I am sure when you need to grow food, you won't be able to when things become unglued.

CYBER CITIZENS FOR JUSTICE, INC. HOME PAGE

Hate your homeowners association? - Apr. 22, 2004

Homeowners Associations: George K. Staropoli - Citizens for Local Constitutional Government (http://www.ahrc.se/new/index.php/src/tools/sub/yp/action/display/id/324 - broken link)

Inside Pearland: Inside Pearland wants to hear your HOA horror stories
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 10:37 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Ummmmm . . . last time I checked, a person can buy wherever they choose . . . if someone doesn't want in a neighborhood w/ an HOA, then it isn't like the government or local municipalities have a gun to someone's head, forcing them to buy in an HOA-controlled community.

And - some neighborhoods w/ HOAs are stricter than others. Not every HOA is repressive and overly legalistic.

If you don't like HOAs . . . then don't buy a home in a neighborhood with an HOA, lol. It ain't that hard, Libertarian.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:00 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times
You are not forced to live in an HOA community.
Personally I like them...

Old 09-28-2009, 11:04 AM

422 posts, read 1,366,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Ummmmm . . . last time I checked, a person can buy wherever they choose . . . if someone doesn't want in a neighborhood w/ an HOA, then it isn't like the government or local municipalities have a gun to someone's head, forcing them to buy in an HOA-controlled community.

And - some neighborhoods w/ HOAs are stricter than others. Not every HOA is repressive and overly legalistic.

If you don't like HOAs . . . then don't buy a home in a neighborhood with an HOA, lol. It ain't that hard, Libertarian.
Ani... your the best..

Old 09-28-2009, 11:07 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,053,845 times
One thing though, isn't it harder to find new homes or newer homes that don't have HOAs?

Old 09-28-2009, 11:17 AM

105 posts, read 201,468 times
I don't buy in a HOA and never will, but when people say they like them and yet at the same time complain about them, that makes me really laugh.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:30 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
One thing though, isn't it harder to find new homes or newer homes that don't have HOAs?
Maybe. The newer mega neighborhoods seem to have them and if I lived in one of those neighborhoods I might want an HOA too. But I don't want one and I don't want to live in one of those neighborhoods (although I don't think they're all commies, lol).

The homes in our neighborhood range in age from 30 years to brand new. It's a little subdivision and we have covenants but no enforcement mechanism. The last 2 homes we have purchased have been in the same type of neighborhood. There are lots of these little subdivisions around if you look for them, ask your realtor to find them for you. We've never had a problem finding nice neighborhoods and avoiding HOA's.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
It seems here in Charlotte it is. Where I moved from in the Kansas City metro area it was pretty standard, too, to have a HOA, but again - in the new/newer neighborhoods.

However . . . some of the restrictions here are the most repressive I have ever heard of. It's one thing to have rules that really do preserve property values such as keeping up the lawn, but some stuff seems overly legalistic to me. Of course, one person's repressive restriction may be another person's security blanket, lol!!!

Old 09-28-2009, 11:55 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Well, I could certainly tell you guys about my own personal HOA horror story. However, we (me and the HOA) are in a legal battle and I do not wish to talk (you never know who is reading this).

Anyways, I was a MUCH happier person when I was renting than I am now. SERIOUSLY!!! My first time buying a home has been a living nightmare thanks to the HOA!!! Again, I won't share the details at the moment. However, I plan on starting a thread once this legal battle is over. The good news is there are attorneys here in Charlotte that specialize in dealing with over aggressive HOAs.

Not all HOAs are bad. Unfortunately, the bad HOAs get more attention though. In these tough economic times, HOAs (bad ones) are pulling some jaw-dropping stunts to collect money (and often times it is money outside of the HOA dues). I will say this much about my personal experience. I HAVE NEVER BEEN LATE ON MY DUES!!! (my dues are automatically drafted from my bank account). Also, I HAVE NEVER BROKEN ANY OF THE RULES OF MY COMMUNITY!!!

I purchased my first home (this home) when I was 27 years old; and I did it (a conventional loan) without a co-signature. If a legal battle with an HOA can happen to a consumer with good credit (like me), it can happen to anyone. Charlotte needs to step up and crack down on shady HOA practices. HOAs know that most homeowners can't afford an attorney to fight them back (thank God I can).

Old 09-28-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Well, I could certainly tell you guys about my own personal HOA horror story. However, we (me and the HOA) are in a legal battle and I do not wish to talk (you never know who is reading this).

Anyways, I was a MUCH happier person when I was renting than I am now. SERIOUSLY!!! My first time buying a home has been a living nightmare thanks to the HOA!!! Again, I won't share the details at the moment. However, I plan on starting a thread once this legal battle is over. The good news is there are attorneys here in Charlotte that specialize in dealing with over aggressive HOAs.

Not all HOAs are bad. Unfortunately, the bad HOAs get more attention though. In these tough economic times, HOAs (bad ones) are pulling some jaw-dropping stunts to collect money (and often times it is money outside of the HOA dues). I will say this much about my personal experience. I HAVE NEVER BEEN LATE ON MY DUES!!! (my dues are automatically drafted from my bank account). Also, I HAVE NEVER BROKEN ANY OF THE RULES OF MY COMMUNITY!!!

I purchased my first home (this home) when I was 27 years old; and I did it (a conventional loan) without a co-signature. If a legal battle with an HOA can happen to a consumer with good credit (like me), it can happen to anyone. Charlotte needs to step up and crack down on shady HOA practices. HOAs know that most homeowners can't afford an attorney to fight them back (thank God I can).
I am really sorry to hear this, Urban. You are a responsible person so I know this has to be a helluva story if you are having HOA problems.

I agree - folks are having problems paying HOA dues - especially if they are out of work. I think it is RIDICULOUS that a HOA can foreclose on a house, unless the homeowner owes THOUSANDS of dollars, as in over $25,000.

I believe HOAs are governed through the state, not municipalities, but I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte