U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:33 AM

79 posts, read 259,147 times

Advertisements

Hello I am new to the Charlotte area..I moved here with my husband a few months ago and I am looking for a PT job. I am open to anything. I have an Art Degree and I currently have a PT job but I wanted to do something more in my industry which is Graphic Design. Please refrain from flaming and or sending negative comments my way. I am just looking for advice I know the economy sucks and I dont need that to be reiterated!
TIA for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 10:44 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,314,414 times
Welcome to Charlotte!

What kind of advice are you looking for? Other than suggesting that you cold call on ad agencies with your portfolio in hopes of getting freelance work . . . or join marketing associations to get your network built up in hopes of getting freelance jobs . . . I don't know what advice to give. There are many graphic artists out of work here right now (as well as unemployed or underemployed marketing folks) and some have turned to freelancing.

So that is the advice I would give . . . hit the streets and get your name around.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:00 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,760,302 times
You might try looking on the Rent-a-Coder Web site - I have seen requests for freelance graphic designers on this site.

Rent A Coder: How Software Gets Done -- Home of the worlds' largest number of completed software projects

Old 09-28-2009, 02:50 PM

that was more of what of what i was looking for networking events for young business people, artists things like that. I did the meetup.com cant seem to find a good fit there. I have tried other avenues and either I am not looking in the right spot or they dont exist. In Philadelphia there were tons of networking type of events and meet and greets thats what i was looking for i guess...ideas thoughts on that....

Old 09-28-2009, 03:08 PM

20,523 posts, read 25,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonsandlimes View Post
that was more of what of what i was looking for networking events for young business people, artists things like that. I did the meetup.com cant seem to find a good fit there. I have tried other avenues and either I am not looking in the right spot or they dont exist. In Philadelphia there were tons of networking type of events and meet and greets thats what i was looking for i guess...ideas thoughts on that....
Did you graduate from the University of the Arts?

Old 09-28-2009, 06:14 PM

i Have a BFA but not from the University of the Arts I am not from here as I originally posted. Does that matter?

Old 09-28-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
i Have a BFA but not from the University of the Arts I am not from here as I originally posted. Does that matter?
You mentioned Philadelphia, so I asked if you graduated from the University of the Arts, assuming that they have the strongest graphics program of the Philly art schools.

Last edited by southbound_295; 09-28-2009 at 06:46 PM..

Old 09-28-2009, 06:50 PM

oh I thought you meant down here..there are actually a lot of really good art schools in Philadelphia

Old 09-28-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
oh I thought you meant down here..there are actually a lot of really good art schools in Philadelphia
I graduated with a BFA from Philadelphia College of Art. It was one of the colleges that were combined to make the University of the Arts.

I was asking because I know that if you contacted the University of the Arts you might be able to contact others who graduated from the school who may be living in this area. If you graduated from Moore or Tyler, I don't know if they follow up on graduates.

Last edited by southbound_295; 09-28-2009 at 07:48 PM..

Old 09-30-2009, 01:44 PM

gotcha. I am involved with the alumni organization but it is not so wonderful at least down here...are you yourself involved in anything down here as far as organizations...i would be interested to your thoughts and feedback
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or