Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 2,896 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to say hello to you all instead of leeching off all of your great information.

I thought I would let all those people concidering moving down to Charlotte that get turned off by some of the people throwing the bad at the good, that this place is awesome! My wife and I just moved down on Saturday and we could not be happier. I'm 26, and Charlotte is a great place for a young couple to get started with something affordable.

I cant count how many positives there are about this area, then again we're coming from Cape Cod which is very summer seasonal. Right now it dies down fast and theres hardly anything to do anymore.

Anyways, I'm in IT and my wife is in childcare. Although I realize the job market is struggling, do any of you have suggestions on resources that people use to get started in the area? I'm currently in with a recruiter, and they made it sound promising to find something fairly quickly. We currently have a bunch saved so we're not in dire need, but would be nice to have something before we hit into the savings

Ok we're off to explore! Any tips you might have for Pineville newbies would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

Tim and Suzana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 02:18 PM

64 posts, read 122,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammit View Post
Just wanted to say hello to you all instead of leeching off all of your great information.

I thought I would let all those people concidering moving down to Charlotte that get turned off by some of the people throwing the bad at the good, that this place is awesome! My wife and I just moved down on Saturday and we could not be happier. I'm 26, and Charlotte is a great place for a young couple to get started with something affordable.

I cant count how many positives there are about this area, then again we're coming from Cape Cod which is very summer seasonal. Right now it dies down fast and theres hardly anything to do anymore.

Anyways, I'm in IT and my wife is in childcare. Although I realize the job market is struggling, do any of you have suggestions on resources that people use to get started in the area? I'm currently in with a recruiter, and they made it sound promising to find something fairly quickly. We currently have a bunch saved so we're not in dire need, but would be nice to have something before we hit into the savings

Ok we're off to explore! Any tips you might have for Pineville newbies would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

Tim and Suzana
Welcome! My husband is in IT as well and the recruiters really have been the biggest blessing to us. He is doing mostly contract work right now but the recruiters are so great that we never really have to worry about where his next job will be. They never cease to find something for him. I do know that Wachovia just lost a batch of IT contractors so they may be needing people. Might want to ask your recruiter if they have heard anything about that. Good luck to you!

I honestly think you'll have a harder time finding friends here than work. We LOVE the Charlotte area but have the hardest time meeting people!

Old 09-29-2009, 02:47 PM

28,355 posts, read 16,288,985 times
meetup.com for social groups and meeting new friends!

Old 09-30-2009, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the assurance on the recruiter, I thought that would be a great way to get my feet wet in a lot of different places and hopefully land something permanent when things start picking up.

I checked out meetup.com in the past, but thanks for the reminder. I've heard there is a pretty good young professionals group here. Always inspiring to hear about others ambitions.

Already getting spotted out as newbies at the grocery store. Does buying a cheap silverware tray radiate new to the area?

Old 09-30-2009, 02:45 PM

64 posts, read 122,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
meetup.com for social groups and meeting new friends!
Tried it. First off, they almost ALWAYS have their meetups WAY on the other side of town from us, and second somehow miraculously, they always meet on nights when we already have things planned.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:47 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,435,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammit View Post

Thanks,

Tim and Suzana

ohmygod, you came without a job?? You haven't been reading here long have you?

Seriously, I'm so glad you find Charlotte so appealing, it really is. But I wish you lots of luck with the job situation, I really do. Maybe at your level and experience you'll do better than my husband did - who is also in IT and was just out of work for 12 months.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:03 AM

I've been reading forums for a long time and you learn that the controversial people tend to shine their tarheads more than others.

Just curious, was your husband in with a recruiter or was he going the route of posting a resume and job hunting on his own? I see the direct approach being a little harder. When it comes down to it, the magnet approach might work a little better by having the companies go to one spot who then distributes the people as they see fit. I also see the temporary contract work as more appealing since companies don't want to hire a full time gun when they can pull someone in for a short duration.

Obviously I'm just speculating and could be blowing hot air.

Although, I just got off the phone with my recruiter, and she said things are looking good at this point. So hopefully that's a good sign. Maybe she's just trying to keep me available and not start looking elsewhere.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:48 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,347,139 times
I am in IT as well and work from home for an out of state company.

I get calls/emails from recruiters weekly about opportunities in the Charlotte area. I am sure it all depends on what your specialization is.

Good luck to you and welcome to Charlotte!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte