U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:14 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,021,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan112ryan View Post
will saying I am at my parents place hurt me?
It will if you tell someone you are. You're paying your parents rent right? Get your parents (ahem, landlords) to type you up a lease agreement. Have that agreement notarized and turn it in to social services when you apply for the EBT card. It wouldn't hurt to have some kids while you're at it. Just kidding...

Make sure you are actually paying rent, or else this is fraud. Got it? GOOD!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 07:01 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,034,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Make sure you are actually paying rent, or else this is fraud. Got it? GOOD!!!
That's not true. I was living with my mom when I had my oldest son, and we were counted as a separate household, without paying rent. As long as you're purchasing and preparing your meals separate from them, you'll qualify. Unless you're under 22, then you're considered part of your parents' household.

Quote:
I have read DSS website but its only really basic stuff...
You need to read a little more thoroughly. Your question is answered on the site, here:
NC DSS: Food and Nutrition Services under "household composition".

Your best bet is to go in and apply, and talk to the people who actually administer the program.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:21 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,892,575 times
Unless they claim you as a dependent, you will qualify.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:06 AM

6,272 posts, read 10,021,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
That's not true. I was living with my mom when I had my oldest son, and we were counted as a separate household, without paying rent. As long as you're purchasing and preparing your meals separate from them, you'll qualify. Unless you're under 22, then you're considered part of your parents' household.
I think you totally missed the "tone" of my post.

Trust me, I grew up in Charlotte's housing authority. I know all about how to get by in the system. My advice to anyone trying to get ANY help through social services is to show some documentation of rent being paid if you have an income.

If you are not actually paying your parents (ahem, landlords ) that's your business. Re-read my post and you will understand my advice better. Again, you DO NOT want to have proof of income and have NO PROOF of rent being payed. The government ain't stupid folks. If you want the most help (ie, more money loaded on your EBT card every month), you must prove that you need it. Plain and simple. Take it from urban. I grew up in Southside Homes y'all; I KNOW what I'm talking about here.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:28 AM

8,225 posts, read 14,924,345 times
To Charlotte Gal - you said the difference: "when I had my son". When you became a parent, you became a separate household.

OP needs to pay her parents rent - like a room with kitchen privileges.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:36 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,034,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
IIf you want the most help (ie, more money loaded on your EBT card every month), you must prove that you need it. Plain and simple. Take it from urban. I grew up in Southside Homes y'all; I KNOW what I'm talking about here.
You're right - I DID misread it!! Good point.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:15 PM

332 posts, read 1,312,362 times
Unless you have dependents of your own, you are VERY unlikely to be approved for food stamps. Even if you do, the amount will be VERY low.

Some examples I can speak of receiving assistance currently in/around CharMeck:

- 18 year old female, single, no income, no unemployment insurance, 2 kids, receives disability for one child, no child support, living couch to couch gets $235 per month for herself and her two children plus WIC

- two 62 year old disabled adults, one receiving SSI, one receiving VA benefits, no other income, combined income of about 1000/month get $11 dollars per month in assistance, yes, ELEVEN dollars for 2 adults without children

In my 6 years in the field, I've never had a single, non-disabled (independent) client be approved for food stamps. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I am saying I've never seen it.

Your better (more certain for results) bet is to go to a food bank. I'll google it real quick like and come back and edit this post with the information.

Edit:

This link appears to show all of the places serviced by the Metrolina Food Bank, maybe, I'm not sure, you'll have to read up on it.

http://www.secondharvestcharlotte.or...-Directory.cfm

Here's locations for a different food ministry.

http://www.loavesandfishes.org/pantries.htm (broken link)

One more for good measure.

http://cupministry.org/

I'm not familiar enough with Charlotte area services to comment further but I have visited various food banks all over the state and the process is generally the same. You will need to bring ID, proof of income, sometimes proof of residence, and fill out paperwork. Some food banks I've visited have 3-4 hour waits to go through the food line. Some food banks provide individual counseling, required, before you can go in the line. Some food banks have no formalities and just give you a basket of food (rare). The food is typically very good quality (better than what I can afford on a regular basis) and you usually get a choice of all sorts of meats and boxed, cans, produce, dairy, and even baked goods!! There are limits on how often you can go but that will be explained to you.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:29 PM

332 posts, read 1,312,362 times
Quote:
It is assumed that you should consider food stamps as part of your pay. ........

The idea is that you cannot understand poverty without living it, while financially it is very hard I am grateful to have a job at all and I am able to make a huge impact.

So i guess my question is should I move so I am sleeping on someone's couch or stay with the parents that have financial resources (but don't give any) so that I will qualify for food stamps? will saying I am at my parents place hurt me (disqualification or less money from food stamps)?
Also, I have no idea where you heard that but it's absolutely not true. A GREAT MANY Vista positions are filled by college students (and often on college campuses) and the VISTA awards are set up with an end of term educational stipend between $500 - $3000. I've never, in my 12 years of personal and advising experience with Americorps, heard anyone tell me that you are supposed to consider food stamps part of your income. I'd be interested to hear if that's something new that you've heard and in which area you serve.

Also, forgive me for being a witch, but I'm offended that you assert that your program is designed to make you understand poverty by living in it. Serving a brief 1-2 semester term as a low paying worker is not, by any means, an example of living in poverty. Poverty is often times a cultural barrier for people that they never break through... and they certainly don't have the opportunity to coast through it with the option of not ending up on the street if that's the way the cards fall. Unless you are in some sort of new wave, experimental, experiential learning community where the goal is to have someone exist on food stamps and no money for a semester and write about it and be a part of research, then, I can't imagine that your agency is truly offering you the mission of the Americorps program.

Sorry, but I'm just not on the same page as you right now. My experience with VISTA and traditional Americorps has obviously been very different than your current experience.

Good luck with your situation.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:34 PM

691 posts, read 2,074,959 times
If you are under age 22, and live with your parents, you are not eligible for an EBT card. The assumption is that your parents will be responsible for your food.

If you move out, you may not be eligible either, as the income ratio for a single person is fairly low. Many people on Social Security (SSI) not regular social security, are not even eligible for food stamps.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:27 PM

306 posts, read 660,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbern View Post
Out of curiosity, why does Americorps not even put you on a subsistence wage? It doesn't make sense to me that you wouldn't have enough money to buy food, and therefore have to access a gov't service intended for people who have no other means. I have many friends who worked for Peace Corps, and while their salary was definitely subsistence, they had enough to live on.
With all that, it's hella hard to get into in the first place these days. More and more Americorps organizations are requiring pages' worth of essays, references, and all that, and all for a stipend that one of them admits is only $300 a month. And then they take forever to get back to you, sometimes ignore your application for 6 months at a time, and then turn you down possibly because you are currently somewhere where they would actually have to pay the relocation that they're supposed to pay anyway.

Yes, but the Peace Corps takes longer to get back to you and is harder to get into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte