U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 07:36 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,165,475 times

Advertisements

These are the types of stories that leave all of us pondering whether or not we need to be concerned about home invasions increasing in our city.

I am always concerned when I hear about doors being broken down and in this case, one of the occupants was shot! But this short article doesn't explain anything about the situation.

Was this a random crime? Did these folks know each other? I really wish these reports included enough info for all of us to understand what really transpired.

Two suspects on the run after violent home invasion | Charlotte News, Weather, Sports | WCNC.com | Top Stories (http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-093009-two_suspects_on_the_run_after.1cda5dd00.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 08:05 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,077,816 times
The Observer article says they do not have any descriptions of the suspects. I would assume they didn't know them but you know what they say about assuming.

Home invasion in NW Charlotte - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/977186.html - broken link)

I also read yesterday or the day before of another home invasion, I thought it was 4 people that broke in but it sounded like they were looking for someone. I'm with you, it looks like these type of robberies are increasing.

Last edited by nascarnancy; 09-30-2009 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: type oh!

Old 09-30-2009, 08:50 AM

2,341 posts, read 4,054,877 times
Don't know why, but my intuition says this was not random

Old 09-30-2009, 09:24 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,131,040 times
I agree that these reports should include more details. For instance, if police think this is the home of a drug dealer and if the invaders were looking for drugs/money. Those stories worry me far less than some punks breaking into the house of a random person.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:40 PM

14 posts, read 21,572 times
I was a victum of a home invasion off Carmel Rd. I am 69 years old and a retired nurse practioner. I was in my home with my 9 y/0 grandson. Three young black men broke into my home and robbed us at gun point. I did not know them, I did not have drugs, cash, money, guns in my home. I do not know why I was chosen, but let me tell you; this was a very terrifying experience and you never know when you will be the next victum.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbaxter View Post
I was a victum of a home invasion off Carmel Rd. I am 69 years old and a retired nurse practioner. I was in my home with my 9 y/0 grandson. Three young black men broke into my home and robbed us at gun point. I did not know them, I did not have drugs, cash, money, guns in my home. I do not know why I was chosen, but let me tell you; this was a very terrifying experience and you never know when you will be the next victum.
OMG - that is terrifying. I hope you and your family are alright. I always think about how this has to have a lasting effect on one's feelings of security.

That is the thing - we all wonder if we could be that house or apartment that some criminal decides to invade. I always wonder - WHY THAT HOUSE????? And you know the reason I ask that: I can't help but wonder - why that house and not my house . . .

Have the police given you any further indication that they may have some idea who broke in? I sure hope they get caught.

I am so sorry you went through this.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:12 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,542,478 times
Quote:
how awful! when did this happen, how long ago?

Old 09-30-2009, 05:32 PM

693 posts, read 1,407,664 times
Quote:
Bless...that is absolutely terrible. I hope you have an alarm system or something now. Stupid criminals...

Old 09-30-2009, 11:53 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,873,378 times
Maybe when they are caught they should be drawn and quartered and the remains ground into chum to improve my fishing. I mean really , damn!! I was young and had friends who sold drugs , robbed , but all of us got wake up calls when one was shot in an invasion. Then we awakened even more with age. But now , I guess I could say I'm on the outside looking in because this to me is just stupid. Then lots of others sharing my ethnicity wonder why everyone hates to see us coming - hell , I hate to see these mu---------s coming!! Especially listening to this nails on chalk 'music' and being weak minded enough to influence them to imitate the artists lifestyles. Half of the ones proliferating this junk are lying anyway!! It's at the point where all you hear is 'HAAAY , HAAY' just combined with a bunch of gibberish!! Maybe if their mothers gave a damn like mine , they would dish out an old school whipping , but with them use bramble bushes on bare skin. Even then , some still wouldn't learn. It is those who dont learn , across the ethnicity spectrum , who in my opinion should be subjected to mind control or sent to Titan to see how long humans could survive. I will probably be chewed out for this , but I don't care!! Nightly I see things of this nature on the news and it is always someone standing up looking like 'DUUUUUUUH' who is the suspect. What the hell is this society coming to?? What happened to working and earning your own as opposed to taking it like some damn cavepeople????

Old 10-01-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
Maybe when they are caught they should be drawn and quartered and the remains ground into chum to improve my fishing. I mean really , damn!! I was young and had friends who sold drugs , robbed , but all of us got wake up calls when one was shot in an invasion. Then we awakened even more with age. But now , I guess I could say I'm on the outside looking in because this to me is just stupid. Then lots of others sharing my ethnicity wonder why everyone hates to see us coming - hell , I hate to see these mu---------s coming!! Especially listening to this nails on chalk 'music' and being weak minded enough to influence them to imitate the artists lifestyles. Half of the ones proliferating this junk are lying anyway!! It's at the point where all you hear is 'HAAAY , HAAY' just combined with a bunch of gibberish!! Maybe if their mothers gave a damn like mine , they would dish out an old school whipping , but with them use bramble bushes on bare skin. Even then , some still wouldn't learn. It is those who dont learn , across the ethnicity spectrum , who in my opinion should be subjected to mind control or sent to Titan to see how long humans could survive. I will probably be chewed out for this , but I don't care!! Nightly I see things of this nature on the news and it is always someone standing up looking like 'DUUUUUUUH' who is the suspect. What the hell is this society coming to?? What happened to working and earning your own as opposed to taking it like some damn cavepeople????
ETACARINAE: You have voiced the same things I have been thinking.

And it isn't just here in Charlotte. But I am baffled as to the solution, other than what you stated - parents (or a parent) who gives a damn and simply won't allow this behavior under his/her roof.

I, too, see the gangsta behavior glorified and am left utterly puzzled as to how things got to this point and how to turn it around - as a society. I believe it has to start at home, but obviously something is not RIGHT at home now - or we all wouldn't be watching communities spin out of control.

The violence is staggering and it is often violence within neighborhoods themselves and between kids under 21, who become repeat offenders b/f they even are old enough to legally buy liquor (OR DRIVE!!!).

I think we need to start with revamping our drug laws. Throwing people in jail for possession needs to be totally re-considered and laws reconstructed to reflect a difference in classification b/n addict and pusher. Rehab for addicts; jail time for pushers. At least we could start there.

And within the juvenile system . . . something has to change there, as well. Pushers use little kids as their mules and suck them into criminal behavior while still in elementary school. How do we attack THAT? Start holding parents responsible? Throwing parents in jail ain't gonna help with stabilizing families.

I dunno . . . I think about it a lot. Sweeping the trash off the streets is one approach, but it pains me to think that we have come - as a society - to this point where we don't know anything else to do but label kids at 15 as "trash" and dump 'em into some holding tank somewhere . . .

Yet, these are the kids who are wielding guns and invading houses! And our justice system here doesn't seem to know what "to do" with these miscreants, either. Throw 'em in the pokey for a while . . . let them out . . . only to see them continually re-offend. I guess jail time is the new "badge of courage" w/in these ranks . . . do your time and prove you are a real gangsta.

These thuglettes turn into thugs - and they are wreaking havoc in their own neighborhoods as well as going into the burbs to rip off whomever they think is A. an easy target and B. owes them the right to take whatever that person has worked to earn.

The behavior is no longer coincidental - it is now a form of home grown terrorism, not only here in Charlotte, but across this nation. I just keep thinking - WHY? And WHY NOW - why this generation?

And what the heck can be done to stem the tide?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte