U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 04:19 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,559,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy21 View Post
Charlotte isnt a Gay friendly city. There isnt really much for the gay community in Charlotte people are afriad to be who they are without people being judgemental. Atlanta DC and Miami or way more Gay friendly than Charlotte. Atlanta and DC are melting Pots for african gay men. I think when Charlotte starts to open up more for the gay community maybe people would look at it as a gay friendly city
In my opinion Charlotte has quite a bit for the African-American gay community, but is very lacking for the white folks. Not being racist, its just most people prefer their nightlife segregated (on both sides), most of this due to great differences in musical taste. There are like 3 large gay clubs that cater to the black population but only a couple of hole in the wall bars for the white folks. All of our dance clubs keep getting bought up and changed to "straight." Thats fine and all if they want to open them up to EVERYBODY, but the employees at these clubs after they go straight are very rude to gay patrons and in the case of Halo they actually kick them out. Does this happen in Atlanta, DC, or NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 05:19 PM

22,974 posts, read 60,133,374 times
The latest issue of qnotes dealt with this topic

On LGBT equality, when will Charlotte get with the game? · Q-Notes – Carolinas’ premier LGBT news source – In Print, Online

Old 10-30-2009, 07:42 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,889,518 times
I gotta ask how the first two columns are determined...some editor's opinion? It's no better than what we've got going on here: an opinionated discussion.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:54 PM

231 posts, read 523,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
I gotta ask how the first two columns are determined...some editor's opinion? It's no better than what we've got going on here: an opinionated discussion.
I would assume that has to do with whether or not the city/county includes sexual orientation or gender identity in their non-discrimination policy.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:13 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,172,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Thanks, Sunny - That article points out a few things that make an area "gay friendly" or not. Good info!

Old 10-31-2009, 08:56 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,747,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
But it sure isn't gonna be that I chose a city to go to because it makes me feel comfortable about my sexuality. Who the heck even THINKS about that?
My guess would be the people who feel in the minority in some places, or who feel like outsiders, would think about that more than people who are not.

Case in point: I love the Outer Banks - summer vacations there have been an annual tradition for myself and a few close friends for close to 20 years. A few years ago, a friend of mine went with his family - he told me they had a good time, but would probably not go back again. When I asked him why, he mentioned that the place was "mighty white". It had nothing to do with any perceived racism or feelings of being unwelcome; he simply said they felt a bit uncomfortable going to the beach or a restaurant and being the only African Americans to be seen. Living in Baltimore, it was a bit of a culture shock to him. And since then, I have noticed he is right - vacationers at OBX tend to be about 95% pasty white folks like me - but before he said this to me, I had never even noticed / thought about it. So I can understand his point to an extent - but that's his take on it and that's cool - no biggie. I still love the place. I would guess that "comfort level" means different things to different people.

Last edited by Tober138; 10-31-2009 at 09:17 AM..

Old 10-31-2009, 08:58 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,747,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I don't think that you quite get that Philly ad. It is aimed to gays in their late 50s & older & it is saying that Philly has changed & is OK for them to visit without fear. I doubt that you have any concept of what went on in Philly, years ago. There was a lot of public discussion in Philly about some of these targeted ads, but it was finally decided to do them to try to undo damage done long ago when Rizzo was chief of police & when he was mayor.
I actually did not know that. And that makes a good bit of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
...what's the point of targeting someone for special marketing?
The point of all marketing...money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
If a general advertisement seems to descriminate against a certain group for not specifically mentioning them by label, so be it.
And if an advertisement specifically targets a certain group or segment of the population, so be it. I don't see why anyone should get so worked up and make a big deal out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Everyone can't be reasonable and intelligent.
Nice backhanded way of saying that people who think differently than you are somehow less "reasonable and intelligent".

Last edited by Tober138; 10-31-2009 at 09:12 AM..

Old 10-31-2009, 11:08 AM

231 posts, read 523,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
But it sure isn't gonna be that I chose a city to go to because it makes me feel comfortable about my sexuality. Who the heck even THINKS about that?
I'm guessing that people in a miniority type of sexual orientation (gay) would care about that...with regards to if the could be open about their sexuality, such as holding hands. I think two men holding hands would have a much different reaction in a small town in the south than in San Francisco, CA (gay friendly city). Plenty of gay people chose to live in a particular city that is gay friendly, like Asheville for example. To each their own.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:36 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,938,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I actually did not know that. And that makes a good bit of sense.

The point of all marketing...money.

And if an advertisement specifically targets a certain group or segment of the population, so be it. I don't see why anyone should get so worked up and make a big deal out of it.

Nice backhanded way of saying that people who think differently than you are somehow less "reasonable and intelligent".
Let me explain. I am saying that a person shouldn't feel that he or she is being descriminated against from a ad that doesn't specifically address the an issue or a certain sector of society. Furthermore, I am saying that everyone isn't reasonable enough to 'not' jump to conclusions. Additionally, some are not intelligent enough to realize see that a descriminating factor is absent. Does this clear up what I said? The statement was not a slam or insult to anyone.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:01 PM

183 posts, read 192,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
In my opinion Charlotte has quite a bit for the African-American gay community, but is very lacking for the white folks. Not being racist, its just most people prefer their nightlife segregated (on both sides), most of this due to great differences in musical taste. There are like 3 large gay clubs that cater to the black population but only a couple of hole in the wall bars for the white folks. All of our dance clubs keep getting bought up and changed to "straight." Thats fine and all if they want to open them up to EVERYBODY, but the employees at these clubs after they go straight are very rude to gay patrons and in the case of Halo they actually kick them out. Does this happen in Atlanta, DC, or NYC?

There are alot of gay clubs here I can name at least 12 black gay clubs here in Atlanta. Alot of the straight clubs here have Gay night. The white clubs are a lil different there are alot of them. I do see that the gayt clubs around here are starting to intergrate more with races. I think Charlotte needs a area close to uptown like Midtown with alot of gay book stores and cafes gay owned restaurants and night spots. Oh yeah its gay pride this weekend also which that draws huge numbers of people almost 300,000 guest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte