Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:52 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
I think we're starting to skew this topic into areas we don't want to go...for the sake of not offending other members and not getting banned for stating the un-PC version of what a lot of people think, I'll bow out now.

Just know that our town generally does not get defensive when a gay person crosses into view. I've seen equal treatment across the board...and come to think of it, I could start a whole thread on how I've been "unwelcomed" in certain establishments and parts of town for being not different enough (read: gay, hippy-ish, annoyingly artsy, etc.). SO let's not start something out of nothing, like typically happens with this subject. GO about your normal life, not seeking attention from others or looking to prove a point at every public location you head out to and you'll be just fine. I don't suggest wandering out into an older rural part of town with a demographic that solidly opposes a gay lifestyle...just as I wouldn't take a leisurely stroll through a hardened ghetto. Know that public displays of affection, from hetero's and homo's, are typically offensive to the general public and may likely draw flak from onlookers. Plain and simple.
Good job Medal, you get an 'A' for this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 09:22 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Lighten up, buddy. Not everyone is wound as tightly as you are, seeking sadness and gloom everywhere. If someone can't take a joke, a mild one at that, then they don't belong engaging in conversation with others. You'd be well advised to go back to trying to pick apart the light rail or something else that keeps you busy and out of our hair, rather than poking the bee hive that'll get you stung.

Ahh. So you disparage others who call you out for not holding yourself to the same self-righteous message that you dole out to others. We all understand. Call me names if you wish, this is the last response I will make to this as I think it explains itself to those who have read through this topic.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:45 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,463,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
...self-righteous message that you dole out...
Tell me again how a joking is self-righteous?...

Everyone knows what that scene was from...and in doing so, recognizes that it was from a comedy movie who's sole purpose was to exaggerate stereotypes of nearly everyone for the purpose of getting a good laugh out of people. It was not trying to pretend to be a documentary on gay man by presenting what it thought was facts about that lifestyle.

The fact that this has be explained to you really says a lot...a lot that many others already understand about you. Shame, really.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:02 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Well, there have been some interesting points made. Sunny's post helped me grasp what was being used as criteria.

I would hope anyone who visits in Charlotte would find what he/she would need to feel comfortable, but I personally don't think Charlotte is so strong on the entertainment side. So I end up heading other places for entertainment. I am not saying I don't participate in entertainment here - I am saying that if I want certain things (like to spend time in a big museum) I head out of town.

As someone else said . . . "Charlotte is a great place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there." I think we are improving but anyone who has traveled certainly knows that you have to create your own fun here and really seek out most of the entertainment. Not trying to bash anyone's love of Charlotte, but I felt this way even 30 years ago. Charlotte is a trade center - that's the history here. Big arts scene - not so much. However, I hope that will only keep improving, as I want to see more artists make Charlotte their home (and get real SUPPORT from the community).

Old 11-03-2009, 07:44 AM

183 posts, read 230,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
You have never been to Charlotte have you? Let me explain, anyone with the money or loan can build a bar, restaurant, or club as long as the place chosen for construction is zoned for such. Nobody cares if a person is gay or not when it comes to loans, business transactions, etc. If you have paid any attention to the past postings, which obviously you haven't, you would see that there have been no complaints about descrimination. That is all in your mind or agenda to annoy others and start meaningless redundant debates.

Additionally, you asked me why I don't "go and ask all the gay men in Charlotte why the aren't building a community for the gays". How stupid would that be. I am not gay and could care less if they build or not. I am sure that they would look at me and say that they don't want to open a business. Maybe they have good jobs at which they are happy. On the other hand, I don't oppose their building. Try to understand this.

Yes I have been to Charlotte many many many times man its nothing for me to get to Charlotte Im only 3 hours away . If your not gay then why does it matter what I am saying.... All I was saying is that Charlotte needs some gay districts or something that would Attractive gay people to the area. Charlotte isnt a destanation for gay men not for pride not for anything really most Gay men in Charlotte spend alot of time in Atlanta partying especially The African american men...... I you are the one getting touched about the topic. I posted my thoughts and thats it. If you dont like what i said kick rocks and dont quote me everytime you see my post.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:30 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,463,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy21 View Post
...Charlotte needs some gay districts or something...
x infinity

Old 11-03-2009, 12:16 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy21 View Post
Yes I have been to Charlotte many many many times man its nothing for me to get to Charlotte Im only 3 hours away . If your not gay then why does it matter what I am saying.... All I was saying is that Charlotte needs some gay districts or something that would Attractive gay people to the area. Charlotte isnt a destanation for gay men not for pride not for anything really most Gay men in Charlotte spend alot of time in Atlanta partying especially The African american men...... I you are the one getting touched about the topic. I posted my thoughts and thats it. If you dont like what i said kick rocks and dont quote me everytime you see my post.
On the other hand, if you aren't gay, why do you keep bringing up the need for gay venues, and gay African American men? Sounds like someone is networking and looking for a relatinship. Good hunting And, Charlotte is more than 3 hours away. Suggestion, Atlanta is gay welcoming and has clubs for black gays, why don't you just go there and stop the Atlanta crap? This thread is about welcoming people, not black gay clubs in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte