U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 04:42 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,130,431 times

Advertisements

what's w/e? I definitely don't think overweight people are all that way because they are lazy. I'm overweight and I am more active than many people I know that are not overweight. But I do know that I'm not active in the way I should be - exercise rather than just busy - and I eat too much. There is not a single person in my immediate family who is not overweight, so I guess I'm genetically predisposed? I honestly don't know. I also have another condition that I don't really wish to share on a public forum that predisposes me to being overweight. I still know that if I wanted to maintain an average weight it would just take a lot of work on my part, but it can be done.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I promise. I understand both sides (I think), I just think it's not completely unfair for the state to change their insurance to have the more at risk people foot more of the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 04:45 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,670,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
With smoking, yes, I kinda agree w/ you, but not everyone is fat because they are lazy. A lot of times there are other factors such as genetics, thyroid issues, or w/e.

I'm not fat either
sophialee - The weird part is that "so-called healthy people who are skinny non-smokers can actually cost more in the long run. They might live 25 years longer, eating up more social security and then develop Alzheimers and live for 10 more years in a nursing home at $70,000 a year. That would make terminal lung cancer look cheap by comparison! Smoke, get fat, have a fatal heart attack or develop lung cancer before the age of 65! Paradoxically, that would save a bundle of money! .....

Old 09-30-2009, 04:48 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,694,039 times
It would be ok if they just applied the new rules to new workers. Retired workers who recieve the state insurance worked and earned the benefit and to start findng reasons NOW and reducing benefits is not right. Maybe I need a refund of some of the premiums I paid for for 30 years. A deal is a deal.I earned my state insurance and to make new rules to take part of it away now is stealing . They got my years of service NOW I want what was promised.....

Old 09-30-2009, 04:54 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,130,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
It would be ok if they just applied the new rules to new workers. Retired workers who recieve the state insurance worked and earned the benefit and to start findng reasons NOW and reducing benefits is not right. Maybe I need a refund of some of the premiums I paid for for 30 years. A deal is a deal.I earned my state insurance and to make new rules to take part of it away now is stealing . They got my years of service NOW I want what was promised.....
now i do understand that.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:00 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,868,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
what's w/e?
It means whatever. I just didn't feel like listing all the different reasons people can be overweight.

Obese is typially someone w/ a BMI of 30 or greater, while overweight is usually someone w/ a BMI of 25-29. The BMI scale is totally flawed too if it's only based on height/weight ratio because it doesn't take into account lean muscle mass or where your weight is distributed. One of those fat-pinch tests is really the only way to gauge if someone has a healthy amount of fat.

Being underweight also carries risks, I wonder if the skinnies will get penalized too?

I don't think you are trying to argue, I'm just making conversation/throwing stuff out there. LOL

Old 09-30-2009, 05:02 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,868,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
sophialee - The weird part is that "so-called healthy people who are skinny non-smokers can actually cost more in the long run. They might live 25 years longer, eating up more social security and then develop Alzheimers and live for 10 more years in a nursing home at $70,000 a year. That would make terminal lung cancer look cheap by comparison! Smoke, get fat, have a fatal heart attack or develop lung cancer before the age of 65! Paradoxically, that would save a bundle of money! .....
Heh! That's a good point!

Old 09-30-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Those "promised benefits" offered by the state or private industry are only good as long as it suits them. This reminds me of all those treaties between the Indians and the Government. Once they found oil or uranium on the land, it's like "Ooops ....We lied!" Tell them if they change your healthcare, you want your old job back!

Old 09-30-2009, 06:08 PM

693 posts, read 1,404,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post

With this thinking, we should all have meters on our toilets to measure how much we crap every month and be billed accordingly for sewer services.
Forewarn - may be slightly irrelevant if you choose it to be. See it as an allegory if you like.

Scary. I worked in Cambodia for many years. I heard several first-hand accounts from people who lived under Pol Pot. As youngsters, they were required to collect people's poop. This was used to fertilize fields. They had to meet a daily quota of human poop. If they didn't meet the quota, they were punished. Rather severely. (Opposite of what he implies, but same all the same)

Point being, such statements as Mealillisteve may be seen as being taken a step too far. But anytime the gov't tries to impose too much control into your life...the results can be disastrous.

There is world history supporting this...not just in Cambodia but everywhere and throughout time!

I agree that smokers and the severely obese are a higher health risk. Oh, and I am a smoker. (am I the first to admit that, LOL! ) I pay a higher rate for my insurance (HSA). Oh, I'm trying to quit (so dont' take the moral high ground, ok?). Oh and yeah, I started smoking due to circumstances that I cannot begin to explain here. Kind of like the reasons given for the obese being obese ("blame it on they thyroid!" - maybe true, maybe not). We all have our reasons, right? Some are legit, some are not. You would likely be surprised by mine, even if you think I am full of poop (pun intended).

So...I pay for private health insurance. I pay a higher rate than others with the same plan because I smoke. I am ok with that. But let me tell you, if/when the gov't begins to control our health, you lose choices. There won't be an option to pay higher rates because I smoke. There will be some stupid bureaucrat telling me that because I smoke, I cannot receive life saving health care (even though I pay in rather heavily through my taxes - not my own choice!).

So...I know this has veered somewhat off the topic of the original post, but the main point being...the more you let the gov't intervene in your lives, the more you lose choices. I WANT to pay for my own health care (and an HSA does not cost very much, even as a gosh darn stupid smoker - yes I do know it is stupid). I feel fine about paying higher rates as a smoker, because it will not affect my ultimate health care services when I get lung disease/heart disease/whatEVER!

Get the gov't in the mix...they can't run anything. Show me ONE thing they can run effectively! Why do you want them running oneof one of the most important aspects of your life? Silliness.

What's truly ironic to me is that people who view private health care as evil due to its capitalism, actually are far more capitalistic in a sense. In a socially insured society, the higher costs get weeded out (fat, smokers, disabled). Only the "truly fit" should receive treatment because they are CHEAPER.

boll-ocks.

Sorry, this is long and windy, and I have been drinking wine. It's to add the anti-oxidants into my body so that it will cancel out the cigarettes! LOL

Old 09-30-2009, 06:16 PM

30 posts, read 71,825 times
I think this is going to generate revenue - for some attorneys!

Old 09-30-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kbill View Post
I think this is going to generate revenue - for some attorneys!
So much for the tort reform concept!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte