U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:04 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,127,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Oh get off it...really.
N.C. State Health Plan targets smokers and obese :: WRAL.com

no thanks, i won't. you're always the first to go down that road. i'm so tired of all of the political bashing, both ways. if someone wants to blame this on Obama when it was drafted before he was even in office, I'm going to point out their mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 08:07 PM

693 posts, read 1,404,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
There isn't anyone who has said that if you want to pay for additional coverage you won't be able to do it. On the other side of the coin, insurance companies are exempt from anti-trust laws. This means that if you choose to purchase insurance as an individual you are dealing with defacto monopolies. Here in NC once you hit 50 or if you have an illness already, purchasing health insurance is practically impossible except for the few who are so well off they don't need it.

Not having insurance for any working American is foolish because you are one accident or illness away from complete financial ruin. Nobody chooses not to have it, so this is basically a straw man argument. We would all benefit from being able to purchase into medicare.
Actually, the last version of the "plan" that I heard mandated that private coverage would be weaned out.

I think that insurance companies should be allowed to sell across state lines, that would help with lowering costs since that is the primary concern! A far better and more cost-effective way to lower cost for all. Good luck with that happening.

Many currently CHOOSE not to have it. Look at more data.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:13 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,923,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbern View Post

Many currently CHOOSE not to have it. Look at more data.
If you have some data to share please do. But I have never run into anyone who chooses not to have medical coverage. Those without it, unless they are young and ignorant, are scared to death of having to go to the hospital because they know that will wipe them out.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:11 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,007,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Nobody chooses not to have it, so this is basically a straw man argument.
I know of several people/families who have made that choice. Some of them do it with full acknowledgment of the choice and the risks, some choose by to spending money on discretionary items (vacations, cable, clothes, furniture, newer cars with payments, etc.) and then think they can't afford insurance. One couple in particular could have afforded insurance but they didn't have it. When one member of the family became uninsurable for 5 years they still didn't get the rest of the family coverage. They knew the risk, they took it.

We've worked with families on setting up household budgets and many of them have luxuries as a higher priority than insurance. Many don't even have basic life insurance to provide for their families if they should die and term life insurance is CHEAP. But, they have vacations and multiple cell phones in the family, WOW subscriptions, more than enough clothes but they keep buying more and eating out....eating out is a HUGE expense in many household budgets. All of those things are done by choice, they could just as easily have insurance. It's about misplaced priorities and choices for many people. No, it isn't cheap and it may not be easy to give up all the little things...but they do add up. If someone is willing to save and set aside the larger deductible a family of 4 in NC can get decent HDHP coverage for about $300 per month. How many people do you suppose have one or even two car payments that high and yet they don't have insurance...??

ETA....and there are millions of people who qualify for government programs like medicaid (or state programs) but who don't enroll. Certainly that is an intentional choice.

Last edited by NCyank; 09-30-2009 at 09:24 PM..

Old 09-30-2009, 09:21 PM

693 posts, read 1,404,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
If someone is willing to save and set aside the larger deductible a family of 4 in NC can get decent HDHP coverage for about $300 per month. How many people do you suppose have one or even two car payments that high and yet they don't have insurance...??
lots.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:24 PM
LLN

4,976 posts, read 8,713,298 times
I get tired of explaining insurance to you guys, but since I am a Overweight, STATE EMPLOYEE I will do it once again.

All these new rules are a smokescreen. A SMOKESCREEN. It has nothing to do with OBAMA.

The State Plan is in a DEATH SPIRAL. Employees are getting older, expenses are getting greater, and there is, speaking relatively, very little new blood coming into the system. Why? Well budget cuts, state agencies getting smaller, and reductions in force that often target the most recently hired, often the youngest. Outsourcing jobs also takes it toll on younger workers. The plan is left with old, sickly folks like most of us.

Already young folks, needing family coverage, can do much better than the NC Health Plan family rates...so they opt out, a younger less expensive payer leaves, and the actuarial tables tilt even further. These are measures, not bad ones at that, to just delay the inevitable rate increases and or state bailouts, that are not that popular.

You see, this has nothing to do with Obama, rights, or whatever, it is simply health economics. What is really needed is huge infusion of new (young -- healthy) blood into the system, thus tilting the actuarial tables back the other way.

But that ain't gonna happen.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:34 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,269,446 times
OK. 40 BMI is off the charts...I can kind of see that...I think Japan's national health-care system requires higher payments for men with waistlines bigger than 38 inches. That seems like a more reasonable measure, as long as you adjust for height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I just looked it up and want to say two things. First, the new plan was drafted when Bush was still in office. No more Obama talk. Second, it's only for people with a BMI over 40. No more whining about that either. If your BMI is over 40, you are obese. Period.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:09 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,007,999 times
Quote:
I just looked it up and want to say two things. First, the new plan was drafted when Bush was still in office. No more Obama talk. Second, it's only for people with a BMI over 40. No more whining about that either. If your BMI is over 40, you are obese. Period.
Do either Bush or Obama have anything to do with the NC state employee health plans?? No, so why mention Bush if it isn't relevant to mention Obama?

While I'm not a fan of BMI as a single indicator, 40 is generous.
At my height I would have to weigh over 275 lbs to get to 40 BMI but I'm several inches taller than average. A woman of average height would weigh 245.
5'4"
BMI 42
Morbidly Obese

Old 10-01-2009, 03:48 AM

673 posts, read 2,434,159 times
Quote:
no, it's because I think it's fair. Like I said in the previous post, if I had to do something differently to get insurance, or a bonus for that matter, I would probably do it. your son couldn't help being born premature. people can help smoking or being overweight. it's not the same thing at all.
I beg to differ. In both instances, somebody had the opportunity to get a bonus for being healthy. One case is something most people think is controllable (not smoking or being lean), although I believe that there are certain instances where these things may not be controllable as others have posted in this thread. In the case of my son, the circumstance was uncontrollable. Had he not been born or had he been born healthy, both my boss and the pediatrician would have gotten their bonuses that year.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:00 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,923,688 times
Indeed. As I said above, 30 years ago, it was uncommon to run into an obese person. This is almost all that anyone sees now especially in places like Concord Mills. Walk around there and it's rare to find someone of normal weight. Why is this? Because people basically eat too much, eat junk, and don't exercise.

Age has nothing to do with being overweight except that you have to take more care to stay healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte