U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 10:11 AM

171 posts, read 277,341 times

Advertisements

Why is the city trying to purchase Eastland Mall for tens of millions of dollars in secret? I don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 10:12 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,865,604 times
Link?

Old 09-30-2009, 10:17 AM

171 posts, read 277,341 times
dont know how to post links. but here.

Charlotte Holds Closed-Door Talks On Possible Eastland Mall Purchase - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Old 09-30-2009, 10:25 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,642,023 times
It's no secret that the city wants that space to be developed into something else. I seem to recall the possibility of the city purchasing the mall being discussed awhile back.

Quote:
The city still has the same vision for Eastland it's had the last two-and-a-half years--a mixed-use development with the types of businesses and amenities east Charlotte craves.

East Charlotte resident Rob Spry said, "It'll help the neighborhood, help the city."

The city's been trying to get the property's five owners on the same page, but that's been slow-going.

The city sees Eastland as the heart of east Charlotte and it's big. If you superimpose its footprint on uptown Charlotte--the mall property would stretch from the stadium to the arena.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:03 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,033,005 times
So foolish.
Local GovCo and their pet projects...

Old 09-30-2009, 11:12 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,725,143 times
It's called community development and trying to make our city a better place to live. Apparently the private sector can't handle it. Maybe the City can do a better job. Who knows. However, nothing will happen without Council consent. If you oppose it, voice your thought out concern. Don't just gripe about it.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:00 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,033,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
If you oppose it, voice your thought out concern. Don't just gripe about it.
Oh I don't 'just gripe', I remember in November, every November when I vote...

Old 09-30-2009, 12:15 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,725,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Oh I don't 'just gripe', I remember in November, every November when I vote...
Good on ya. I wish more people would! Take it a step further though and go to Council meetings and voice your opinion. Contact the Council reps for the area...and your reps...let them know. If they hear nothing, it means consent.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:28 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,686,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
It's called community development and trying to make our city a better place to live. Apparently the private sector can't handle it. Maybe the City can do a better job. Who knows. However, nothing will happen without Council consent. If you oppose it, voice your thought out concern. Don't just gripe about it.
You've said it all my friend, AMEN!

Old 09-30-2009, 09:21 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,642,023 times
Quote:
I seem to recall the possibility of the city purchasing the mall being discussed awhile back.

I found this. Initially the city wanted to purchase a few parcels, now they are considering the whole property.

From a July 24, 2008 article
Quote:
It’s unclear how Glimcher’s decision to cede ownership of the struggling mall will affect the city of Charlotte’s plans for the site. City Council members recently approved a $75,000 option to buy the Dillard’s parcel -- the latest step in an effort to redevelop the shopping center.

In March, the city approved an identical option agreement for the vacant Belk Inc. store at Eastland. That store closed in February 2007, with the chain citing low sales and shifting shopping patterns to other Charlotte-area retail centers.
Glimcher cedes control of Eastland Mall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte