Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:56 PM

587 posts, read 1,624,558 times

Advertisements

DO NOT MOVE TO GASTON COUNTY OR DO BUSINESS THERE IN PROTEST OF THEIR INHUMANE KILLING PRACTICES at Gaston County Animal Services. Please see thread titled "Please speak up for Gaston County Animals--Killed in Gas Chamber" There is a video of the horrific practice of gas chamber killing of animals on the bottom of page one of this thread. Here is a link.

Please speak up for Gaston County Animals--Killed in Gas Chamber

Old 10-23-2009, 01:20 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renlouis View Post
DO NOT MOVE TO GASTON COUNTY OR DO BUSINESS THERE IN PROTEST OF THEIR INHUMANE KILLING PRACTICES at Gaston County Animal Services. Please see thread titled "Please speak up for Gaston County Animals--Killed in Gas Chamber" There is a video of the horrific practice of gas chamber killing of animals on the bottom of page one of this thread. Here is a link.

So you live in Texas & are posting this for Gaston County. How about encouraging people to move to Gaston County & vote to change the practice? Or would that make too much sense for you. Or maybe you could stick to your own state & make sure that none of the counties there use gas chambers.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:37 PM

22 posts, read 49,036 times
Default isn't this supposed to be where we get relo info?

With all due respect to Southbound, aren't these forums often used by people looking into relocating? That's why i'm here--- and i can tell you that this is info that I, as a potential resident in the very near future, want to see. What communities do with their animals is very telling. the south has a reputation for being a little behind on lots of things....and i tell you this is more evidence of that. I'm an animal person and HAVE looked into how animal friendly cities/counties that i could relocate to are. I'm not going to move into a place and have my tax money used for this practice. Sorry, some of us do our research BEFORE moving someplace then having to try to get it fixed.

Some may think that's a dumb reason not to choose somewhere to live, but to me i want to know how animal friendly it is too, there are a gazillion pet owners relocating every year, places that want to grow need to remember that lots of us look into what they're doing ahead of moving and darn well might say 'forget it' when they see something like this. Just like i'd probably not move into a place where there are pitbulls running loose--and that's a county/city issue too-- if they can't provide proper animal control (including HUMANE euthanasia if they have to do it) i dont really want to move my kids and pets there. If they can't spend the money to get this fixed do you really think they're out there making sure that people are not letting their dogs run at large? if not how safe are my kids?

Old 10-23-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boysathome View Post
With all due respect to Southbound, aren't these forums often used by people looking into relocating? That's why i'm here--- and i can tell you that this is info that I, as a potential resident in the very near future, want to see. What communities do with their animals is very telling. the south has a reputation for being a little behind on lots of things....and i tell you this is more evidence of that. I'm an animal person and HAVE looked into how animal friendly cities/counties that i could relocate to are. I'm not going to move into a place and have my tax money used for this practice. Sorry, some of us do our research BEFORE moving someplace then having to try to get it fixed.

Some may think that's a dumb reason not to choose somewhere to live, but to me i want to know how animal friendly it is too, there are a gazillion pet owners relocating every year, places that want to grow need to remember that lots of us look into what they're doing ahead of moving and darn well might say 'forget it' when they see something like this. Just like i'd probably not move into a place where there are pitbulls running loose--and that's a county/city issue too-- if they can't provide proper animal control (including HUMANE euthanasia if they have to do it) i dont really want to move my kids and pets there. If they can't spend the money to get this fixed do you really think they're out there making sure that people are not letting their dogs run at large? if not how safe are my kids?
There is already a thread on this topic. In my opinion it is not the business of someone in Texas to post this thread until he cleans up his own state. There are plenty of places north of here where animals are gassed too. Your logic is your business, but I would not tie together what you just did.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:47 PM

22 posts, read 49,036 times
Default ever think?

that maybe RenLouis is, like me, researching a potential move to the area and sharing what she found?

Old 10-23-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boysathome View Post
that maybe RenLouis is, like me, researching a potential move to the area and sharing what she found?
The topic is already covered by another thread. In my opinion, the Texan who posted this thread ought to worry about Texas. If someone living in Gaston County had posted the thread, I would not have posted. I am not pro-gassing, just in favor of people posting responsibly, & in my opinion, what is proposed by this thread is not responsible for someone who does not live here. Get that now?

Last edited by southbound_295; 10-23-2009 at 02:21 PM..

Old 10-23-2009, 02:15 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renlouis View Post

As awful as the practice is I would rather donate money and lobby to change it than punish the business owners for policies set by the county. Instead of calling for a boycott perhaps you should organize a fundraiser to retool/retrain/reequip the facilities and employees.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:38 PM

My husband is interviewing for a job in Charlotte and it looks like we may be relocating before Christmas. I've been researching the move for the past couple of months - if you look at my post history, you will see that. I was appalled to learn of this practice in Gaston County (yes, through the other post). It doesn't matter to me whether this is being done in Texas, North Carolina or anywhere else. Why would I care more about animals in Texas than North Carolina? Humane is Humane. The call for a boycott is just a suggestion to anyone who cares about this issue. If people don't care, they won't do it. If they don't agree, they won't do it. I, for sure, won't move to Gaston County because of this. It's barbaric.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:38 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
If one is very against the gas chambers used for euthanasia for the abundance of unwanted animals, then you will have a hard time living in many areas of the country. Yes, they are commonly used in the South due to the cost. Many of the shelters are beyond under funded. This is the cheapest way to take care of the animals that have not been adopted.

No, it's not the best way to go. but it's the cheapest. It's a heck of a lot better than what the dog warden does at the shelter I adopted one of my dogs from. He would take dogs out back and use them for target practice. So a gas chamber would have been humane compared to that nutcase.

You want to help the animals? Adopt! Spay/Neuter! DONATE! Money, time, supplies, etc. There's a LOT that can be done. We've had shelters here that have turned things around all by volunteers. They no longer kill. They work their butts off to get animals adopted. They spay/neuter everyone who comes to them. They have vets who volunteer their services. They get food and litter donated from the major companies that stock local grocery store shelves. ALL of this work was done by volunteers who saw that a change was needed. It didn't happen overnight, but it DID happen!

So instead of posting about how horrible a place is find out about it! And since you aren't from the area or the state even, don't be so quick to judge. I hear HORRIBLE things about Texas as well.

Post on here that the shelter needs volunteers to help turn things around. The shelter that one of my dogs is from has dramatically changed over the last few years. It took a few local volunteers and several others who ran rescues out of state and transported many dogs to areas where they WOULD get adopted. That's how I got my big baby. I paid for all of his vetting at the sheltering and a small transport fee to a rescue who I met on their way back home. Thankfully his siblings were also rescued by the same rescue and have awesome homes now.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:48 PM

ss20ts - I never said anything about how horrible Gaston County is. I've never been. It's probably a very nice place. I just don't agree with the horrible treatment of animals there. I sent letters to all of the county commissioners and have already heard back from two. They basically said they were working within state guidelines and that they are under financial constraints. If you all haven't written e-mails to them, please do - the e-mail addresses are at the beginning of the other post on this subject. By the way, I do volunteer with animal rescue groups. All of your suggestions are great. If anyone is in Gaston County and could do any of these things at this animal control facility, that would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte