U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 01:45 PM

5 posts, read 20,723 times
Default Fort Mill vs. South Charlotte

My husband accepted a teaching job at Olympic High, and we will be moving to the area in the next couple of months. We are debating whether we should look in Fort Mill or in South Charlotte (Ballantyne, Pineville area). We like the idea of living in a nice suburb, but having the conveniences of being close to the city. We know that there is a ton of shopping and restaurants, etc. in South Charlotte. Our brief look around Fort Mill revealed many great houses, but nothing in the way of eating or shopping. Is this a true perspective, or did we just miss the commercial development in the area? If there isn't much in Fort Mill, how far is it (realistically) to nearby shopping areas? It seems like our money would go quite a bit farther as far as buying a home in Fort Mill, but we don't want it to be a huge compromise, and feel like we live in the middle of nowhere. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 06:08 PM

902 posts, read 2,455,978 times
Fort Mill and its neighbor, Tega Cay, are both beautiful areas. Is Olympia HS in NC or SC? Are the property values much different? Charlotte is within easy reach of either town.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 7,539 times
Default Fort Mill - Charlotte Pros & Cons

There's a good amount of shopping development and restaurants already in existence if you head west on Route 160 (just past I-77) and go towards Tega Cay. We're from a large city in the Midwest and considered those things too, when trying to decide where to live. We moved further east in Fort Mill where the commercial side of things is not as far along in being built up, but where we found the kind of housing/neighborhoods we wanted. Where we're at, the nearest drug store, gas stations, 2 grocery stores are all within 10 minutes and we're 20 minutes away from the west side of Fort Mill towards Tega Cay, mentioned above. Plus, its only a 15 minute drive to all the shopping and restaurants around Ballantyne and other south Charlotte areas.

For whatever towns you consider and whatever parts of Charlotte you consider, I strongly suggest checking out crime rate, how busy traffic is, etc. to see how those aspects of life down here sound to you. The Charlotte police department has an area within their web site that has alot of detailed statistics by neighborhood. City-data.com has good info on these areas, too.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:01 AM

929 posts, read 2,657,600 times
One big decision factor you should take into consideration is the commute.
This is my attitude, live where you can obtain the best quality of life, kids, mom, dad, minivan etc. If the kids are grounded and live in a good area, you'll be happy. Fort Mill is due for super growth as far as retailers moving in.
Look at the homes in the south park area, most people who live out there are wealthier. The housing is expenisve in my opinion, and the area is pretty established as far as housing, things to do, cultural, shopping, etc.

If you need something to eat, South Charlotte is always there, plus the traffic is a nightmare, no matter what time of day. I personally would take SC living over South Park, you can get more for your money. However, at the end of the day, it's your choice. I live outside Charlotte and go there to work everyday, the comute is rough but I cannot afford to move right now.
I just have the mentality if I want something in Huntersville, Just hop on the highway and your there. You definilty need car here to get around there is a mediocre transit system. There's a great mall called North Lake up in huntersville, there is a expensive nice mall in South Charlotte Called South Park.

BurghTeacher - I figure that's Pittsburg? I love the steelers. There are some great bars to watch football at, I think there might be one that favor's Steelers fans somewhere in Charlotte.

Good Luck in your decisioning. I know my husband is looking for a teaching job and they don't pay enough for us to afford a home in south charlotte.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:48 AM

18 posts, read 52,221 times
we just purchased a home outside of Charlotte last week. I am a huge steelers fan and originally fron the erie area. I loved fort mill but the traffic to get to the city and back was easily 45 minutes. A lot of people say twenty but it is not true. I did not want to live as close to the city as we bought but once I saw the traffic it was terrible and I currently reside in Philadelphia. SEnd me a pm.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:00 PM

474 posts, read 1,182,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon rose View Post
we just purchased a home outside of Charlotte last week. I am a huge steelers fan and originally fron the erie area. I loved fort mill but the traffic to get to the city and back was easily 45 minutes. A lot of people say twenty but it is not true. I did not want to live as close to the city as we bought but once I saw the traffic it was terrible and I currently reside in Philadelphia. SEnd me a pm.
45 minutes? I've given the commute a few trial runs recently (we'll be moving there tomorrow) and it's about a 30 minute commute from Exit 85 to uptown Charlotte. Of course if there's an accident, everything changes.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:18 PM

116 posts, read 373,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKQC View Post
45 minutes? I've given the commute a few trial runs recently (we'll be moving there tomorrow) and it's about a 30 minute commute from Exit 85 to uptown Charlotte. Of course if there's an accident, everything changes.

This is great info. We are closing on a home in Sutton Place, behind Baxter, in mid-June and I will be working uptown. I have wondered about the commute. I love that exit (85). It seems there is a little of everything with alot more to come.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:12 PM

389 posts, read 1,002,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKQC View Post

I've been down in Fort Mill since the beginning of April - just on the edge of Tega Cay. Never fear, the commute averages 25-30 minutes to uptown. Traffic varies, of course, just like everywhere else. It's been as fast as 18 minutes, and the multiple accidents last Thursday made for a 1 hour commute. Altogether it's a massive relief after the 45+ I was guaranteed when we lived in South Charlotte. S. Charlotte was a great place to live, but a miserable place to commute from.

Good luck with your move!

Old 05-23-2007, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 4,217 times
Default The Mill

One thing definitely to keep in perspective is the rising taxes in Charlotte. A colleague of mine just bought a home in Fort Mill and the taxes there are about 1/3 of what Charlotteans are assessed. That amounts to quite a large savings when considering a home over $200K...etc. I live in Charlotte but on the most southern tip. My colleague lives about a mile away and I pay 3-times more taxes. Needless to say, I felt very ill after learning that.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:18 PM

3 posts, read 7,646 times
A friend of mine say the taxes maybe be lower, but the electricity bills and water bills, and groceries are a lot more, is that true? If so, would the cost of living even out in the two cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte