U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-01-2009, 12:49 PM

2,112 posts, read 4,719,339 times

Advertisements

Sat, Oct 3
8 am to 4 pm
704 282 4680

FREE Admission Open to the Public

Over 120 craftsmen and artists
Largest show in UC
FIRST show of the season
FREE parking

A must visit event for all lovers of quality handmade crafts

Hope to see you there!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 06:26 AM

3,197 posts, read 6,037,185 times
On a similar note:

Harvestfest Craft Show
10/03 to 10/03 2009
Harrisburg United Methodist Church - Harrisburg, NC

Old 10-03-2009, 07:38 AM

2,112 posts, read 4,719,339 times
Ooooh, everything looks so nice! Lots of vendors and lots of people here already.

There's a place here called Don's Eastern Carolina BBQ selling BBQm hot dogs, chips and drinks.

You can also pick up a FREE 1-Day family fitness pass and a coupon for $100 off initial joining fee.

I'm having a difficult time thinking "holiday" but it helps when Christmas music is being piped in.

I hope to find someone here who will finish a quilt for my son that I started back in April!

Old 10-03-2009, 08:21 AM

4,508 posts, read 5,464,958 times
We're going over in a little while. It's been a long time since I have been over there but I'm kinda in the mood for crafts. I can't say the same for DH and the kiddos but hey...I go places with them that I don't care for...fair is fair.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:48 PM

We had a nice time. OK, DH and I had a nice time and the kids....well....we should have left them at home.

We bought three ornaments that I will copy for our own tree. We make a few new each year and add them to our tree. It started when we were first married and had no money, making a few simple ornaments on our little table top tree. The tradition has continued for many years, we have had only our handmade ornaments on our tree. DH feels like we are 'stealing' ideas if we just look at the ornaments for sale with the intention of copying them so we have to buy one if we are gong to make it. LOL...it doesn't make sense to me since I could look on-line and get the ideas/instructions (which I do most years) but I don't mind supporting the craft people who come to sell at the show. I'll give these ornaments as gifts after we clone them for our tree. I like to make 6 of each, two for each of the kids to take with them when they leave home and two to remain on our tree.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:37 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,172,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
We bought three ornaments that I will copy for our own tree. DH feels like we are 'stealing' ideas if we just look at the ornaments for sale with the intention of copying them so we have to buy one if we are gong to make it.
I applaud your DH. I was set up at that craft show and I can't count the number of people who came along, intently studied my items, told me how beautiful they were, whispered among themselves, and then walked away usually mumbling something about "I'm sure Susie (or whomever) can make that". I even had one woman come back to ask where she could get the materials to do it. When I told her that just one of the supplies would cost more than what I'm selling it for (I have wholesale accounts), she looked a bit aghast at me. I'm glad you have some nice traditions, but just realize that not all things can be found on the internet. My items are my own designs and it is very disheartening. I even had a woman tell me that she brought her camera along to take pictures of stuff, but forgot it in the car. Good thing because I would have asked her not to take pictures, again since they are my own designs.

Glad you had a good time. Unfortunately, due to lack of sales I probably won't do that show again. I think it's a bit too early in the holiday season for my items. Also, I was in one of the little rooms and I wonder how many people bothered to come down there, or even realized there were crafters down there.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I applaud your DH. I was set up at that craft show and I can't count the number of people who came along, intently studied my items, told me how beautiful they were, whispered among themselves, and then walked away usually mumbling something about "I'm sure Susie (or whomever) can make that". I even had one woman come back to ask where she could get the materials to do it. When I told her that just one of the supplies would cost more than what I'm selling it for (I have wholesale accounts), she looked a bit aghast at me. I'm glad you have some nice traditions, but just realize that not all things can be found on the internet. My items are my own designs and it is very disheartening. I even had a woman tell me that she brought her camera along to take pictures of stuff, but forgot it in the car. Good thing because I would have asked her not to take pictures, again since they are my own designs.

Glad you had a good time. Unfortunately, due to lack of sales I probably won't do that show again. I think it's a bit too early in the holiday season for my items. Also, I was in one of the little rooms and I wonder how many people bothered to come down there, or even realized there were crafters down there.
We've made some of our own designs as well but most are from craft books, retail ornaments, internet craft sites etc. Only a few have been cloned from something we bought at a sale. Even if we model from another ornament it never comes out the same, inevitably we want to change something or make it to better fit the style of our tree. Still, I wouldn't copy something to sell or even to give as gifts, we keep them for ourselves only. I guess I never thought it may be an infrigement on a crafter's design. Maybe we should just stick to our own ideas or those that have been published for public use.

There seemed to be a good crowd of people when we were there....even plenty going through the back rooms. For the most part the prices were very reasonable as well. I'm sorry it didn't go well for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte