Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 02:52 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,532,137 times

Advertisements

If you are stationary, for example at a signal, and someone goes into the back of you causing you to hit the car in front, who is at fault?
I am asking this because in the UK if this happened you wouldn't be at fault as long as you had your parking brake on at the time. However, if you only had your foot on the foot brake, then you would be considered at fault as well as the person that went into the back of you.
How does it work in NC?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 02:54 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,295,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
If you are stationary, for example at a signal, and someone goes into the back of you causing you to hit the car in front, who is at fault?
I am asking this because in the UK if this happened you wouldn't be at fault as long as you had your parking brake on at the time. However, if you only had your foot on the foot brake, then you would be considered at fault as well as the person that went into the back of you.
How does it work in NC?
Thanks
Anytime you hit someone from behind YOU are at fault. Even if a person brakes suddenly and you feel you have no choice but to rear-end them - it will be your fault and you'll be cited for "following too closely".

Old 10-01-2009, 02:59 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,532,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Anytime you hit someone from behind YOU are at fault. Even if a person brakes suddenly and you feel you have no choice but to rear-end them - it will be your fault and you'll be cited for "following too closely".
Even if you and the car in front are stationary?
If so, then how are you supposed to gauge what distance to leave between yourself and the car in front when you are stationary at lights?
If someone who is approaching hits you from behind, the distance you will be shunted will be depend on their speed,accelaeration and weight of their vehicle.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:00 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,794,557 times
When I got rear ended in May I was coming to a stop but still rolling. I knew the guy behind me was never going to stop and he shoved me into the car in front of me totalling my car. He and his insurance company accepted full responsibility and I was not at fault. His insurance company fixed the damages to the car I hit. I never had to make a claim.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:00 PM

102 posts, read 297,080 times
i think the acceptable here is 500 meters

Old 10-01-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Even if you and the car in front are stationary?
If so, then how are you supposed to gauge what distance to leave between yourself and the car in front when you are stationary at lights?
If someone who is approaching hits you from behind, the distance you will be shunted will be depend on their speed,accelaeration and weight of their vehicle.
Yes. Even if. Anytime you rear end someone you have some responsibility I believe. Though of course, if someone rear-ended you and pushed you into the other person you may not get ticketed, but would instead just have to have your insurance cover their costs. At least this was my prior experience

Old 10-01-2009, 03:04 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,098,012 times
Loves, I'm not sure that's accurate. My husband was in an accident where he was the middle car. He was rear-ended at a stoplight and pushed into the car in front of his. The guy who hit at the rear was responsible for all the damages and we didn't see a change in our insurance at all. This was in South Carolina, so it might be different for North Carolina, but I don't think so.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,574,293 times
A standard of rule of thumb taught in my employer's driving courses is for the driver to be able to see the tires of the front vehicle on the road, touching the road. Most cars get much closer than that when stopped for whatever reason.

Insurance companies can do strange things. I was front-ended by a drunk driver driving in my lane. The people behind me were following too closely and rear-ended me. So far as I know, they didn't get a ticket but the drunkl was arrested. The drunk's insurance, Geico, took ressponsibility for all the damage. However, since their insured had the mandatory low limits only, they didn't pay anybody as the amount of damage was higher than the policy limits. After arbitration, we will all get a portion of the amount claimed.Sucks to me, but that's what they can do.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:10 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,098,012 times
Isn't that when you would make a claim under your uninsured/underinsured coverage?

Old 10-01-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Loves, I'm not sure that's accurate. My husband was in an accident where he was the middle car. He was rear-ended at a stoplight and pushed into the car in front of his. The guy who hit at the rear was responsible for all the damages and we didn't see a change in our insurance at all. This was in South Carolina, so it might be different for North Carolina, but I don't think so.
My accident was quite a few years ago, so I'm thinking things may have changed by now? Though as SouthernBelleInUtah said, insurance companies do strange things sometimes!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte