Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 06:21 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times

Advertisements

I let the TV run in the background this morning and it happened to be on this show and low and behold they have McCrory as a guest. He was on there for about 5 minutes and though they let him talk I still can't figure out why he was there. Did he say anything relevant as Mayor of Charlotte for Charlotte? I don't think so. The big news seems to be that he was on the same plane as that pilot who landed the US Air jet in the Hudson River. Wonder how many times McCrory tried to get his photo taken with him?

After the platitudes, basically he complained about the NC state government spending too much money and playing shell games with money. This is funny coming from one who went against the public vote and paid $300M in the people's money to build an arena whose sole purpose was to increase profits for the NBA. It was an obvious dig at Perdue without saying names but he failed to mention that he lost the election for that same job.

The other thing he did was complain about Obama's stimulus plan. He said the money was being used to fill pot holes and not going towards useful infrastructure. So when asked what he would like to spend the money on, the first thing he said was more roads. What!? Aren't potholes usually filled on roads? This didn't make much sense.

He went on to say that he was a Republican who was for mass transit like this was something unusual. But he only wants mass transit if the federal government pays for it and he is upset the feds make them do studies to justify the expense.

All and all I still don't know why he was there.

Oh, and they called it Charlotte, NC and not just Charlotte. Like this city is still Bugtussle or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 08:05 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,346 times
You should try watching the music channels instead of the news channels....you know, the ones like Music Choice or the XM/Sirius channels. It'll keep you calmer, as long as you put it on a good channel.

What's wrong with them showing a notable figure flying on the first flight of the "hero" pilot? It's news...people want to hear it. And what's wrong with him voicing displeasure of the state government? That's why he wanted to run for governor, to make it better. His take on how to spend the stimulus money is right on, in my opinion. Planning, designing, and building a road generates MUCH more work than cold-patching potholes. And my god, why can't you agree that his assessment of federal planning requirements is spot on too? They want expensive study after study before committing to any funding.

This one whole post is nothing but a long rant about a variety of things. You really need some good things in your life...and no disrespect meant (I mean that), but maybe it starts with moving away from Charlotte since everything here pisses you off. Those same things make the vast majority of others here happy.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
This one whole post is nothing but a long rant about a variety of things. ...
Your post is a long rant about me. Put me on ignore.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:31 AM

624 posts, read 2,107,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
...he complained about the NC state government spending too much money and playing shell games with money.
There's been a number of topics on this forum alone about the state gov't not completing projects in and around Charlotte, seems like a fair thing to complain about.
Raleigh Bev: "No free lunch Charlotte for 485"
New part of 485 loop

Quote:
...he is upset the feds make them do studies to justify the expense.
He doesn't seem to be the only one complaining about the cost of the study being footed by Charlotte, NC.
Sucking blood from your bones. aka another $4.5 Million for $500 Million Streetcar Line

Quote:
...for mass transit like this was something unusual. But he only wants mass transit if the federal government pays for it
The stimulus bill had a huge amount of money allocated for mass transit which is extremely costly to build, do you want Charlotte to foot the bill? Everyone else is getting a free lunch, nothing wrong with wanting a piece of it for Charlotte, which is located in the state of North Carolina in the United States of America on the North American Continent which resides in the Western hemisphere of the third planet from the Sun in the Milky Way Galaxy...google has a great map of it too.

Quote:
Oh, and they called it Charlotte, NC and not just Charlotte. Like this city is still Bugtussle or something like that.
There's also a Denver, NC, a Dallas, NC, a Houston, NC...but I guess it's best to not be specific.

Last edited by MysteryMT; 10-02-2009 at 08:44 AM..

Old 10-02-2009, 09:35 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Well, my hubby and I caught Mayor Pat's appearance and we thought he did a really good job answering the kinda lame (few) questions he answered. I was glad to see him looking great on TV and wish he would get more national exposure, as I would like to see him running for a Senate or Congressional seat at some point.

And further, I agree with his philosophy that we need to be doing more with mass transit. The Mayor can't control (only attempt to influence) A. the state General Assembly and B. local commissioners.

If you don't feel good about the transit plan here - the person to go talk to is the City Manager and the City Planning management/staff.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:57 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
I saw it and just wondered why he was there.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
.....He doesn't seem to be the only one complaining about the cost of the study being footed by Charlotte, NC......
This project is not subject to demands by the federal government so your point is incorrect.
Quote:
.....There's also a Denver, NC, a Dallas, NC, a Houston, NC...but I guess it's best to not be specific.
Clearly you jest, and I am one for enjoying humor in topic but in case you are not, then I won't bother to explain what this meant.
Quote:
...The stimulus bill had a huge amount of money allocated for mass transit which is extremely costly to build, do you want Charlotte to foot the bill? Everyone else is getting a free lunch, ....
Actually the Obama stimulus package that McCrory was referring to had very little intracity mass transit funding in it. In fact, relative to the requests there was almost none. Despite this, the congress may hand over $20M to CATS this year to continue engineering studies on the blue line ext. Maybe it is not a free lunch, but it isn't anything to sneeze at either. McCrory doesn't seem to have any problem taking this money even though it will be used to complete the very studies he complained about.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:16 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,346 times
Quote:
...Put me on ignore.
I can't do that. My vested interest on this forum and in topics about the city I enjoy living in and call home keep me on the prowl for incorrect and biased information--especially when it's presented through a medium that reaches a mass audience who may be potentially swayed by what they read here.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
I can't do that. My vested interest on this forum and in topics about the city I enjoy living in and call home keep me on the prowl for incorrect and biased information--especially when it's presented through a medium that reaches a mass audience who may be potentially swayed by what they read here.
OK I notice that you didn't say that anything I posted was incorrect or incomplete in my OP. If you don't have a beef with what I post, then it would seem that you are not doing this when your only purpose is to personally criticize me. Your post advised me which channels to watch on TV, you psycho analyzed me to incorrectly conclude that I am unhappy, and acted as self appointed spokesman for the "vast majority" other forumer's happiness. Maybe I am missing something but your actions don't equal your words.

I stand by what I said about McCrory. He is an elected politician and by that fact alone, his position, record, results as mayor, and how he represents Charlotte are all open for public criticism and comment. This is what I did in this post. I clearly offered this up as an opinion and everyone is entitled to have one.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:09 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,076 times
Lumb your post was all opinion, so what would we say was incorrect? I disagree with your opinion, but nonetheless we are all entitled to one. I watched the replay on-line and thought he did well and he stood up for his typical thinking. You may not agree with it, but others do.

I agree Ani, I wish Pat would stay in Politics in NC.

Last edited by Whytewulf; 10-02-2009 at 01:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte