Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:07 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,660,281 times

Advertisements

$10- $13.00 an hour? So at $10/hour full time you would make $400. Not an awful lot of money by any means, not enough to pay for some basics, I understand. Really just enough to feed the family I would think.

Is getting a job at this level impossible in CLT???

Tell us what the situation is with real life experiences. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 06:28 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,862,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
$10- $13.00 an hour? So at $10/hour full time you would make $400. Not an awful lot of money by any means, not enough to pay for some basics, I understand. Really just enough to feed the family I would think.

I am beginning to think you are screwing around with this thread.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:51 PM

7,041 posts, read 14,980,333 times
No, I think that he is being serious. And, yes, pink, it is that dire. $10.00/hr jobs are getting hundreds of applicants...

Old 10-29-2009, 07:01 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,112,250 times
$13 per hour is not that bad! I don't know why everyone on this board thinks that's such a horrible, non-living wage. That's $27000/year, around the salary of a teacher. I would know

Old 10-29-2009, 07:02 PM

256 posts, read 1,143,099 times
Quote:

When you don't have a job, $400 a week is better than $0 a week. It still pays some bills and puts some food on the table.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:18 PM

616 posts, read 1,746,335 times
Quote:

It's not impossible. It's just very, very difficult. With so many people competing for so few jobs, to a certain extent it's the luck of the draw.

My experience - the past year - I found (bumped into is more like it) a $9 an hour part-time (8 to 12 hours a week) job that helps supplement my unemployment benefits. (I am allowed to earn up to $120 a week without cutting into my benefits.) I have an Excel s/sheet with my contacts and details of job applications and right now I am averaging 3 a week. If I wanted to take the time I could break that down to wage ranges, full or part time, etc.

I tailor my resume/application information to the job. For a part-time cashiering position asking for great customer service skills, I highlight that aspect of my background. For a full-time, professional, Instructional Design position, obviously my resume is more fleshed out ("fancier" as a friend says!) Who knows? Maybe even a very low key resume for that $13 an hour part-time job makes me out to be "over-qualified".

It's also difficult to gauge what's going on when so many apps are done online. I don't know which questions are screening me out (not that I would lie), and don't find out much after I click that "Submit" button.

What else? It's pretty tough to know if there are 10, 100, or 1000 applicants for the job - sometimes I feel I could make some sort of judgement if I knew there were so many that it's inevitable that some of our pps just get kicked aside.

Something else to consider, not everyone can do every $10 - $13 an hour job. If you cannot stand for long periods of time, or lift 50 pounds, or squat and stoop and lift for four hours, that rules out many jobs. If you have arthritis and cannot work with cold or damp (like produce in a supermarket) or do data entry ... well ... there go those jobs.

So, not impossible, but the probability is a variable for every individual and what they have to offer and what they physically do.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:22 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,967,265 times
My roommate is a CNA and makes around $9.50 an hour. Works long 12 hour shifts, too.

When I moved to Charlotte in 2003 I worked several months for $12 an hour as on office temp. I doubt wages have changed much. But it was enough to pay for a $760 apartment, my utilities, gas and food... and leave about $100 a month left over.

If you're healthy and without dependents, and don't seek fancy items, it doesn't cost all that much to make a living.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:06 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,342,109 times
No it doesn't.
I consider myself lucky to have landed my position , which is 90% sedentary , but I'd like to gain weight anyway. It suits my needs with over $1000 remaining monthly and no wife or kids.
Which is the reason I am able to travel so much , plus we get $1USD annual increases along with benefits and $500 annual bonuses.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:56 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,939,952 times
When Carowinds Theme Park started their application process this past spring the lines were out the door ... suits with briefcases in line looking to operate rides ... sell novelties ... sweep ... whatever to put food on the table ... and this was just seasonal work.

A warehouse announced a few weeks ago they are relocating to Arrowwood and will have 185 jobs ... they now have over 2000 applicants for the warehouse jobs and the pay will be in the $10.00 an hour scale.

If you are thinking about relocating ... visit first and find a job. Good luck!

Old 10-30-2009, 04:21 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,660,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
It's not impossible. It's just very, very difficult. With so many people competing for so few jobs, to a certain extent it's the luck of the draw.

My experience - the past year - I found (bumped into is more like it) a $9 an hour part-time (8 to 12 hours a week) job that helps supplement my unemployment benefits. (I am allowed to earn up to $120 a week without cutting into my benefits.) I have an Excel s/sheet with my contacts and details of job applications and right now I am averaging 3 a week. If I wanted to take the time I could break that down to wage ranges, full or part time, etc.

I tailor my resume/application information to the job. For a part-time cashiering position asking for great customer service skills, I highlight that aspect of my background. For a full-time, professional, Instructional Design position, obviously my resume is more fleshed out ("fancier" as a friend says!) Who knows? Maybe even a very low key resume for that $13 an hour part-time job makes me out to be "over-qualified".

It's also difficult to gauge what's going on when so many apps are done online. I don't know which questions are screening me out (not that I would lie), and don't find out much after I click that "Submit" button.

What else? It's pretty tough to know if there are 10, 100, or 1000 applicants for the job - sometimes I feel I could make some sort of judgement if I knew there were so many that it's inevitable that some of our pps just get kicked aside.

Something else to consider, not everyone can do every $10 - $13 an hour job. If you cannot stand for long periods of time, or lift 50 pounds, or squat and stoop and lift for four hours, that rules out many jobs. If you have arthritis and cannot work with cold or damp (like produce in a supermarket) or do data entry ... well ... there go those jobs.

So, not impossible, but the probability is a variable for every individual and what they have to offer and what they physically do.
Here's the answer to those thinking of moving to CLT and ask "So, how's the job market down there."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte