U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 08:58 AM

22,011 posts, read 39,583,402 times

Advertisements

Last year for the Thanksgiving parade high was 63 degrees
average temperature for November is 52.1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 09:01 AM

7,431 posts, read 6,598,418 times
we went for a Motorcycle ride last year before we had our Thanksgiving dinner

Old 10-05-2009, 05:56 PM

4 posts, read 7,465 times

I was looking at the graph that one of the previous posters showing high/avg/lows over the last year...boy am I in for it!! I grew up and have been living in So Cal for my entire life (The Valley, no less!) and am about to embark on my journey to Charlotte in a few days for my career. I don't even own a proper "winter coat". Looks like that will be my first purchase this weekend. Please, Charlotte Winter, have mercy!!

Vic

Old 10-05-2009, 06:14 PM

4,010 posts, read 5,900,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal27 View Post
..... Please, Charlotte Winter, have mercy!!

Vic
Are you trying to win an Academy Award before leaving Cali? You probably won't like the summer heat and humidity here over the winter weather which isn't bad at at all.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:48 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,111,549 times
The good news is the cold doesn't stick around too long. By late February it's mainly just cold at night. Winters in Charlotte are pronounced enough to feel genuine, but short enough they don't wear you out.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:02 AM

705 posts, read 1,270,260 times
Spending my 2nd Winter here after living in SoFla for over 40 years, I'm guilty again of getting a jump start on the season. We actually lit our fireplace last night. We had leftover wood, so we figured; why not? I love the sounds and smells!

Old 10-06-2009, 07:16 AM

1,499 posts, read 1,801,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
Spending my 2nd Winter here after living in SoFla for over 40 years, I'm guilty again of getting a jump start on the season. We actually lit our fireplace last night. We had leftover wood, so we figured; why not? I love the sounds and smells!
This might be funny, since I'm from Illinois, but this is the first house (here in CLT) that we have with a fireplace! Looking forward to lighting it up later this year

Old 10-07-2009, 10:31 PM

2,560 posts, read 4,279,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal27 View Post

I was looking at the graph that one of the previous posters showing high/avg/lows over the last year...boy am I in for it!! I grew up and have been living in So Cal for my entire life (The Valley, no less!) and am about to embark on my journey to Charlotte in a few days for my career. I don't even own a proper "winter coat". Looks like that will be my first purchase this weekend. Please, Charlotte Winter, have mercy!!

Vic
While your picking up your new coat don't forget an ice scraper and always keep an umbrella in the car. Take it from a So Cal Gal who tried to melt her icy windshield with the wiper fluid, DH laughed at me and I had a new toy when I got home from work, an ice scraper!

Old 10-08-2009, 02:32 AM

68 posts, read 145,925 times
I just want it to be cold at some point for more than a day. I know it snows a bit here. When does that usually happen?

Old 10-08-2009, 05:58 AM

4,010 posts, read 5,900,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotterelocator View Post
I just want it to be cold at some point for more than a day. I know it snows a bit here. When does that usually happen?
Generally if we have snow that will stick, it happens in the first 3 weeks in January. There have been some cases of flurries coming down before Thanksgiving and as late as April. (I've seen both, but only once or twice in the 30+ years I have been here)

Most likely if we don't see snow by the end of February, there isn't going to be any snow. I remember that once we went for a span of 4-5 years without any. Chances for seeing some snow start to go up greatly if you live closer to I-40 and North due to the rise in elevation. I used to routinely go day skiing at Beech Mtn on their week day specials, and there have been many times that it would be raining when I left in Charlotte, and I was seeing snow around 60 miles N of CLT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte