Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 07:25 AM

293 posts, read 958,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Schools are the most important thing and I would prefer the Weddington or Marvin Ridge clusters, with Cuthbertson being 3rd. I would not consider spending 300k+ outside of these clusters (probably less for Cuthbertson) when you can find beautiful homes and countless choices inside them.

Why 3rd for Cuthbertson? My daughter attends there(formerly in Marvin Ridge) and she loves it. She has made friends that attended Weddington and they are much happier in Cuthbertson.
I would say it's too soon to judge such a brand new school. I am very confident that Rob Jackson (principal) will make this a top rated school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 09:05 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrcts04 View Post
Why 3rd for Cuthbertson? My daughter attends there(formerly in Marvin Ridge) and she loves it. She has made friends that attended Weddington and they are much happier in Cuthbertson.
I would say it's too soon to judge such a brand new school. I am very confident that Rob Jackson (principal) will make this a top rated school.
It's 3rd because I didn't read enough comments like this!! So thanks for posting!

Honestly, I just considered the Marvin Ridge and Weddington clusters as "safer" because they're more established. Cuthbertson is so new they don't even have greatschools ratings, yet.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:46 PM

525 posts, read 1,803,699 times
I wouldn't put too much stock into test scores or greatschools...I would visit the schools, kids are kids wherever they are at and there going to be good and bad at all schools...Sun Valley is overcrowded, Weddington for awhile was overcrowded and the county has redrawn boundaries every year since we have been here (06) due to population and overcrowding. I have a high schooler, 2 elementary schoolers and we are pleased so far...however you really just have to visit and not rely so much on what you read. You can read as much as you can find but it still may not be a good fit for a particular child.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,172 times
I am a Union County native. Born and raised. I live in Monroe and work in Waxhaw at our family business that has been in business since 1883. I can tell you pretty much whatever you want to know about Union County. More specifically Monroe and/or Waxhaw.

I currently live in Fox Hunt which is just down the road from one of the subdiv. on your list, Savannah Way. I can tell you that buying solely on school district in Union County is a bad idea. You mention the "well established" Marvin Ridge and Weddington areas. These areas as far as schooling is concerned are new in terms of the past few years. School districting changes with the wind in Union County. I am pretty sure the favorite pastime of our school board is to figure out ways to shift all the schools yearly. You may buy/build a home thinking your children will go to one school, and they might, but chances are that will change.

I think you are ill-advised to buy in Union County on school district alone. As far as good builders go, that's a matter of personal preference but I know of and about most all of them around here. I currently live in my 2nd home built by Tony Williams and by comparison he builds a much much better house than his brother over at Williams Company. Not that Williams Company does a bad house by any stretch of the imagination, I just believe Tony builds a better house.

I personally believe Union County is becoming overpopulated and is a melting pot. Nothing wrong with being a melting pot, but we don't have the infrastructure to support all of the cookie cutter neighborhoods and families moving here. That's why the school system is out of whack. Not enough schools for all the people and tremendous amounts of shuffling around happen all the time. My kids go to the charter school Union Academy (which is phenomenal by the way) but you have to go through the lottery to get in there and it's luck of the draw. I lucked out for sure.

I think you would be ill-advised to go solely by what you read on the internet. You need to visit and see for yourself and find the right area for you and your family. The market is saturated w/ homes like you describe wanting. I have a friend in Savannah Way that is moving because of foreclosure and it is a GORGEOUS home with ALL The bells and whistles...could probably buy it from the bank for nothing.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:43 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unioncountynative1972 View Post
I am a Union County native. Born and raised. I live in Monroe and work in Waxhaw at our family business that has been in business since 1883. I can tell you pretty much whatever you want to know about Union County. More specifically Monroe and/or Waxhaw.

I currently live in Fox Hunt which is just down the road from one of the subdiv. on your list, Savannah Way. I can tell you that buying solely on school district in Union County is a bad idea. You mention the "well established" Marvin Ridge and Weddington areas. These areas as far as schooling is concerned are new in terms of the past few years. School districting changes with the wind in Union County. I am pretty sure the favorite pastime of our school board is to figure out ways to shift all the schools yearly. You may buy/build a home thinking your children will go to one school, and they might, but chances are that will change.

I think you are ill-advised to buy in Union County on school district alone. As far as good builders go, that's a matter of personal preference but I know of and about most all of them around here. I currently live in my 2nd home built by Tony Williams and by comparison he builds a much much better house than his brother over at Williams Company. Not that Williams Company does a bad house by any stretch of the imagination, I just believe Tony builds a better house.

I personally believe Union County is becoming overpopulated and is a melting pot. Nothing wrong with being a melting pot, but we don't have the infrastructure to support all of the cookie cutter neighborhoods and families moving here. That's why the school system is out of whack. Not enough schools for all the people and tremendous amounts of shuffling around happen all the time. My kids go to the charter school Union Academy (which is phenomenal by the way) but you have to go through the lottery to get in there and it's luck of the draw. I lucked out for sure.

I think you would be ill-advised to go solely by what you read on the internet. You need to visit and see for yourself and find the right area for you and your family. The market is saturated w/ homes like you describe wanting. I have a friend in Savannah Way that is moving because of foreclosure and it is a GORGEOUS home with ALL The bells and whistles...could probably buy it from the bank for nothing.
Good review, and solid advice

Old 01-22-2010, 01:25 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unioncountynative1972 View Post

I'm sad that I can't update the OP because the list simply isn't valid anymore for me... I would personally steer away from Eastern UC and concentrate more into the West (specifically NW). I know that Marvin Ridge and Weddington aren't necessarily "well established" by some definitions, but the ratings are there in the time they've existed and it's hard to argue the general opinions on the quality of those schools from folks who live there.

Additionally, Marvin Ridge and Weddington have geography on their side... With the county borders so close, there's much less risk of rezoning. If you're in Sun Valley or Cuthbertson - or at the very Western edge of Weddington I would be much more concerned because there's more play in the zoning options.

Either way, I appreciate the advice!

Old 03-05-2010, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,583 times
What company does Tony Williams build for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte