U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 06:36 PM

473 posts, read 1,451,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamwrok View Post
SunnyKayak and sheena, thank you both for the great input. Two strong votes for Huntersville, and it sounds like it has many of the things we are looking for. We will definitely have to give it a look while we are in. We appreciate the realistic evaluation of the commute. We are certainly willing to stretch it a bit, within reason, if we find someplace that 'fits'.
I like Huntersville. We live in Rosedale which is a new community, almost built, and I like Birkdale but it's out of our price range. MacCauley is nice and shaded, too, with a lot of trees. I'd check them all out but I think you'd probably be more interested in MacCauley than any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 07:29 PM

113 posts, read 419,633 times
Please exuse my curiosity..but I hear that a lot: people don't want to live in downtown-close-to-Charlotte...why not? Schools are obviosely not a concern, so what might it be? 30 minutes commute is considered a serious commute here, at least by my self..why commute at all if you don't have to?

Old 05-12-2007, 08:11 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,623,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wades View Post
Please exuse my curiosity..but I hear that a lot: people don't want to live in downtown-close-to-Charlotte...why not? Schools are obviosely not a concern, so what might it be? 30 minutes commute is considered a serious commute here, at least by my self..why commute at all if you don't have to?

Maybe it's the crime factor. That's my guess.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:39 PM

113 posts, read 407,939 times
I think the great news is that you'll find a number of good choices, typically it's hardest figuring out the best. Lots of good recomendations here. Huntersville is consistently ranked one of the top 100 places to live by Money Magazine... low real estate prices, low crime, quality schools and low taxes
Also has the benfit of being near the lake.

Then there is a belt of good neighborhoods along RT 51, Pineville Matthews Road, homes build in the 60's, 70's and 80's primarily with large old trees, and 250-325 gets a good selection there. Consider the S Charlotte zips of 28270 and 28277. Very convenient to shopping, 30 minutes or less to Uptown, many cozy neighborhoods, strongly appreciating inside of RT 51.

Back up north I'd consider Davidson, (though tough on a daily commute, absolutely great small town feel and college atmoshere) and Mint Hill is great if you want to be a little more in the country. Lakeshore at Tega Cay is nice but might be too cookie cutter for you.

Moderator cut: realtor soliciting

Old 05-12-2007, 10:25 PM

113 posts, read 419,633 times
I consider opening a new thread. 'No More Huntersville.' We have it all here in Charlotte. and 'No more Realtors trying to Sell you Huntersville'. Please exuse me for being honest, as I am from Charlotte and I beleive i'm posting to the right page. Charlotte is Diverse. I woudn't have it any other way. I would want my kids to know the history and respect it. Respect, and understand. that you must be a good neighbor yourself to have a good neighbor.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:27 AM

14 posts, read 29,205 times
Thanks everyone. It's good to hear some differing opinions and other suggestions.

Wades- to answer your question we have lived in suburbs and the outskirts of cities before, and currently live right in the heart of Chicago, and have lots of friends in the near-neighborhoods, we have about a 2 minute commute to work. We like having culture and a city nearby, but have found that 'living' in or near to city-center is just not for us. We will certainly be driving all around Charlotte and the surrounding cities, towns, and areas, and will be keeping an open mind. Nothing is set in stone and we are only vaguely familiar with the area, and are excited to get to know it a bit better. Also, Sheena mentioned a good point, crime is typically more concentrated in urban areas, and is certainly a factor in our considerations, but we definitely are aware that there are many areas in and near large cities that are even safer than the outlying cities/neighborhoods, so it is not a determining factor for us, and we are just as, if not more concerned with many of the other things mentioned in the initial post.

Basically we posted a general picture of what we were looking for and have been happy with all of the responses and advice we've gotten so far, but certainly would not limit our search or simply buy a house in Huntersville or anywhere else without doing our research and getting some first hand experience in the area.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:33 AM

14 posts, read 29,205 times
We would also be open to advice on where not to live, areas to avoid, or other such opinions, either based on what we are looking for, or just your own personal likes/dislikes.

Comments like Wades' are welcome especially when providing reasons such as Wades did, mentioning commute time and culture and diversity considerations.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:38 AM

367 posts, read 928,495 times
One thing I noticed in my research on moving to the Charlotte area is college tuition. Folks say South Carolina has lower taxes, well there are consequences to that. Their University System is underfunded and their public Universities cost X2 what they do in North Carolina. Since we have two children to put through school, we decided against South Carolina for that reason, as nice has it may be

Old 05-18-2007, 01:12 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,341,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMcDonald View Post
Lakeshore at Tega Cay is nice but might be too cookie cutter for you.
You know there is so much more to Tega Cay than just LakeShore. The LakeShore development is only about half of Tega Cay. So if someone thinks the LakeShore portion is cookie cutter?...why not view the other half of the city?...where many of the homes are custom built homes (Seven Coves, Watertrace, Neptunes Landing, Anchorage, etc...). In fact there are still a few vacant lots within Tega Cay...where one can build their own custom home if they so desire.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:39 PM

94 posts, read 325,549 times
Default A few possibilities . . .

I'm a native of Charlotte (yes, they do exist) and thought I'd share my experience of living in various parts of town . . .

Growing up we lived in Elizabeth, which is very close to Uptown with 1920s eras homes, restaurants, etc. Now the prices are quite high in that area, but I still love it and occassional reasonable price bungalows can still be found in the outskirts of Elizabeth. Its literally minutes from Uptown (7th Street runs through the heart of Elizabeth), so definitely worth your time driving through when you're in town.

My parents moved us out to what was then the outer edges of the earth . . . in a "mid-century" subdivision, Lansdowne, which is out Providence Road between Fairview and Hwy. 51. Now Lansdowne is practically "in town," and the homes are large on good size lots. You're 15 minutes or less by car to SouthPark, the Arboretum, and Cotswold. Prices still seem reasonable in that area, espcecially given the size and location. You're about 20-25 minutes to Uptown, straight in Providence.

When I moved back to Charlotte as an adult my husband and I moved to the Lake Norman area - off exit 25 in Cornelius. My husband worked in Davidson and I worked in East Charlotte. We lived in a new build neighborhood (Oakhurst) that did develop a restaurant, coffee shop, dry cleaner, etc. at the front of the neighborhood that was within walking distance. There was no shortage of shopping nearby and there are some nice parks on the Lake. The downside is the traffic - whether you're commuting into Charlotte (that commute may "only" be 40 minutes, but that is 40 minutes of solid traffic as soon as you get on I-77) or just getting around the area, as most of the roads are still just two lanes. Its also strange to live in an area that is conceptualized by highway exits - everyone relates everything in terms of which exit they are at. I never had the feeling of a real neighborhood or town living at the Lake.

We've actually now moved away from the area while I'm back in school, but when we do find our way back to Charlotte I would definitely look more closely at older in-town neighborhoods and not go back to the Lake. Let me know if there is anything else that might be helpful - good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte