U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 11:27 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times

Advertisements

Family Dollar reports record earnings - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/989008.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 01:10 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,875,270 times
I checked out some job opportunities there back last Fall before I had my solid telecommute thing, and I was very impressed (this is in the IT area). A friend of mine in engineering sales also knows several people at Family Dollar and had great things to say about it as well. It's a pretty decent commute too, from the S. Charlotte area.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
I checked out some job opportunities there back last Fall before I had my solid telecommute thing, and I was very impressed (this is in the IT area). A friend of mine in engineering sales also knows several people at Family Dollar and had great things to say about it as well. It's a pretty decent commute too, from the S. Charlotte area.
I too know folks there who claim it's an awesome company to work for And you are right, the location right on the Charlotte/Matthews line is very convenient to many things.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:37 PM

256 posts, read 1,044,159 times
Here is a link where I saw ads for cable tv installers:

Charlotte North Carolina Jobs in Charlotte North Carolina Job Search. (http://charlotte.jobs.com/jobsearch.asp?q=cable+tv+installer&re=0&sort=rv&tm =&cy=US&st=NC&lid=512&aj=Charlotte+North+Carolin a - broken link)

One was actually advertised on Sept. 29th for DirectTV?

Good luck!

Old 10-11-2009, 09:22 AM

10 posts, read 15,302 times
Do you know anyone that could help with something in the legal department? I am a paralegal. I have an undergraduate degree in Business Information Systems too and a lot of corporate telecom experience.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkkdenver View Post
Do you know anyone that could help with something in the legal department? I am a paralegal. I have an undergraduate degree in Business Information Systems too and a lot of corporate telecom experience.
Give it a shot, but I have to tell you, paralegal jobs are few and far between in Charlotte these days. Even when you find an opening it's usually part-time and they want a number of years experience, not new paralegals.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:11 PM

lovesmountains.......thank you so much for all the replies. That is appreciated. I am not a new paralegal....I have experience in many types of law due to working in an in-house department. We do it all! I love mountains too.........as I said in another post, my DH went to school in Charlotte. One of his first jobs was at Belk's. I am getting pretty discouraged on here as it is being painted to be a very bad time in Charlotte for jobs. Then I am now wondering about the huge change coming from the Denver metro area. I have more of a moderately liberal attitude and am used to open space and not a lot of crowding. We eat healthy and I frequent health food stores and farmers markets for produce. I do shop at Target for food but if it is anything baked, I either do it myself or buy from Whole Foods. I think DH told me that he is having difficulty finding healthy food in restaurants. And speaking of restaurants, none of our restaurants have smoking inside. Are the restaurants non-smoking there? I don't mean non-smoking section because that is still a health hazard from second hand smoke. I know the Charlotte area is beautiful and the people are nice and helpful. My DH has told me as much from his living there before and now as has been living there for a bit. Thanks to all for any feedback!

Old 10-11-2009, 03:58 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,129,494 times
Can I step in and answer also? We do not have a lack of health food stores, farmers markets, or healthy food selection in restaurants. Your husband is either not looking enough, or not paying attention. No offense. Every Harris Teeter carries a HUGE selection of organic and all natural foods, most other grocery stores have modest selections, and we have several natural food stores such as Earth Fare, Trader Joes, Fresh Market, etc, and a year-round farmer's market as well as several seasonal ones around the city. A restaurant smoking ban will be in effect starting in January. I have never had a hard time finding something healthy at any of the restaurants that I frequent. Where is he going to eat? If he is unable to find something that he wants at a particular restaurant, why go back there?

As for the liberal attitude, Charlotte is more moderate than Denver, and can be pretty right-leaning, depending on your area, but as someone on the pretty far left, I feel quite comfortable here. I think it is changing into a more liberal area as more northerners and liberal westerners relocate (much to the dismay of some locals, unfortunately). In general, people are friendly and accepting no matter what your affiliation, as long as you are the same to them.

I asked twice in your other thread where your husband is working. What part of the city is he staying in? What restaurants is he frequenting? We can help him find what he is looking for, and then you will know as well.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:28 PM

Coastalgirl.....sorry I missed your questions. DH's company has him staying in a hotel outside of Concord. He is working a LOT and so not had much time to scope things out. Since in a hotel (no kitchen) he has been unable to go to the grocery stores really to check it out. I am glad to hear all that you just mentioned about the grocery stores. I suggested that my DH ask to be put into a hotel that has a mini kitchen area so he is going to work on that. I will be in Charlotte next week so looking forward to scoping things out. I really don't want to say the company where he is working but he is near Kannapolis and Concord. Coastalgirl....you seem to have a pretty good idea of what Denver is like. As an example, we live in a residential neighborhood near one of the top rated elementary schools in the state at 6400 ft above sea level. Denver is 5680 ft. above sea level. There are pine trees all around. Safe area. Dog friendly. You will see just tons of people out walking their dogs. I have no criteria for good schools, etc. just stated so you could get an idea of the kind of area I would be leaving. Again, thank you for the feedback!!!

Old 10-11-2009, 04:34 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,067,084 times
I've heard good things about working for Family Dollar also. Although I've sent resume's in, I've never received any calls back and I've got 20 years experience in a corp retail background. So I am going to stick with the job market is terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or