Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 07:17 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Well, Charlotte rose and fell on banking...kind of like the Detroit of the south...too much invested in one industry w/o the forward vision to have a plan b (which was needed)....we WILL bounce back someday. Its going to take an extremely long time but we will....
Is "Detroit of the South", is that supposed to be a reasonable comparison? Charlotte rose due to a location, weather, work ethic, mixture of industries, ie., trucking, Duke Power, Lance, railway distribution centers, textiles, and the list goes on. Banking was just the icing on the top. Charlotte was outpacing most other cities when Bank of America was NCNB. Banking is not going away, at worse it is reconfiguring. We may not see the same names on buildings, but we will see names on buildings.

P.S. Charlotte has not fallen. We are in a recession just like every other place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 07:20 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Blue,

I saw your post just a few days ago about Wake county schools. All the more reason why I was surprised to see you talk about Raleigh following in the footsteps of CMS in ending busing as if it were a good thing. I still find your comment odd.

I was one of the few who voted as you pointed out "two days ago". There were no board of education seats up in my area. No clue as to why the vote went the way it did? Hardly. My point was there is not widespread outrage as has been implied here. Little more than 11% of voters participated. Hardly a majority of the overall population. Although it was unfortunate that that anti-diversity crowd was better organized.

Your comment that wake county schools will be changing soon is a tad naive. Campaigning is one thing, making good on promises once you are in your elected seat and accountable for your actions is another. I'm sure things will change, but changing a long standing program can't be done without a plan, a plan which the new candidates don't really have. It will likely be a couple of years before any significant change. Maybe that is soon to you, I don't know. But those in Wake County who think things will change overnight obviously don't know much about public policy and local government politics.
Please show me "one post" where I have advocated for the changes that will be happening in Raleigh. Take your time. I'll wait.

And I said previously that "I give Wake county 2 years and it will look like CMS". Isn't that what you just said? Two years is soon for that type of change. I'm just pointing out the obvious that for some reason you want to play down. I'm not making this stuff up. The people in Raleigh are saying this...

School diversity program in NC draws ire of voters :: WRAL.com (http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/6156633/ - broken link)

'Neighborhood schools' issue tapped anger - Politics - News & Observer

Truitt: 'Forced busing is dead' - Local - News & Observer

Wake schools to come apart? Will the new school board fire Del Burns?: Elections: Election Results

"...the worry was that the new five-member school board majority will move quickly, perhaps at their first meeting, to junk “diversity” and fire School Superintendent Del Burns..."

Old 10-09-2009, 08:18 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Please show me "one post" where I have advocated for the changes that will be happening in Raleigh. Take your time. I'll wait.

Blue,

Your post about wake county a few days ago schools did not advocate for change. I never said it did. I understood you to be against the possible change to wake county's diversity program. That is why I was shocked when you posted above about following in CMS's footsteps as if it were a good thing.

You seem to be at odds with yourself. Perhaps you could do a better job articulating what you meant with those two seemingly conflicting posts.

You pointing to the posts of unhappy people is irrelevant and a waste of time. Nobody is pretending that there aren't unhappy people out there. My point, is that there area also many many people who are quite happy with the system as it is. Again, pointing to the election results that represent a little over 11% of eligible voters does not represent a mandate.

I see what I typed, but to clarify I doubt it would be a "couple" or "two years" before any possible change. It will probably take that long if not longer for the new board members to even come up with an alternative plan. Which of course they do not even have yet. Then it will likely take another 5-10 years before any real change even begins to happen. By then there will be even more elections, and changes on the federal level to complicate the matter. So again, people in wake who expect things to change quickly are only kidding themselves.

Go ahead and mull over your response. You have 7-12 years to think about it since that is how long it will take before there is even a chance of any change.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Blue,

Your post about wake county a few days ago schools did not advocate for change. I never said it did. I understood you to be against the possible change to wake county's diversity program. That is why I was shocked when you posted above about following in CMS's footsteps as if it were a good thing.

You seem to be at odds with yourself. Perhaps you could do a better job articulating what you meant with those two seemingly conflicting posts.

You pointing to the posts of unhappy people is irrelevant and a waste of time. Nobody is pretending that there aren't unhappy people out there. My point, is that there area also many many people who are quite happy with the system as it is. Again, pointing to the election results that represent a little over 11% of eligible voters does not represent a mandate.

I see what I typed, but to clarify I doubt it would be a "couple" or "two years" before any possible change. It will probably take that long if not longer for the new board members to even come up with an alternative plan. Which of course they do not even have yet. Then it will likely take another 5-10 years before any real change even begins to happen. By then there will be even more elections, and changes on the federal level to complicate the matter. So again, people in wake who expect things to change quickly are only kidding themselves.

Go ahead and mull over your response. You have 7-12 years to think about it since that is how long it will take before there is even a chance of any change.
I think you are misinterpreting what I think is a “good thing”. When people praise Wake county schools, while chastising CMS for not being more like it, and not realizing the current differences between the two, that’s wrong in my opinion. So the fact that “the playing field will soon be leveled”, that IMO is a good thing. As I said before, let’s see how well Wake’s system looks when they have several high poverty schools in Southeast Raleigh, just like Charlotte’s West side for example.

Regarding the low turnout you keep bringing up, I posted this before…

..."The low turnout has always been there," said Pope, the GOP county leader. "The current board was elected by a low turnout"...

Article: 'Neighborhood schools' issue tapped anger - Politics - News & Observer

And rather its one year, two years, or five, that’s really irrelevant, because as your media is saying…

…”The votes are still being counted in the race for Wake County school board, but one thing is certain, change is coming…”

Article: School board member-elect ready to shake things up :: WRAL.com

You’re trying to suggest, “Oh this is no big deal…nothing’s really going to change”. Wishful thinking on your part, unfortunately

Old 10-09-2009, 10:13 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Is "Detroit of the South", is that supposed to be a reasonable comparison? Charlotte rose due to a location, weather, work ethic, mixture of industries, ie., trucking, Duke Power, Lance, railway distribution centers, textiles, and the list goes on. Banking was just the icing on the top. Charlotte was outpacing most other cities when Bank of America was NCNB. Banking is not going away, at worse it is reconfiguring. We may not see the same names on buildings, but we will see names on buildings.

P.S. Charlotte has not fallen. We are in a recession just like every other place.
Banking was not just the icing on the top. I 100% disagree. People are just going to have to get over it that this wasn't the case.

That is the reason why the unemployment rate jumped so high in such a short amount of time.

Also, look, dont go crazy over the Detroit comment. We in terms of geography, climate, people are no where near like Detroit. We all know that . The point obv was to show what happens when you put all of your eggs in one basket w/o a plan like the leaders here did...now we're paying for it by coming late to the party w/ideas.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:17 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Blue,

I think we are talking past each other at this point.

Quote:
I think you are misinterpreting what I think is a “good thing”. When people praise Wake county schools, while chastising CMS for not being more like it, and not realizing the current differences between the two, that’s wrong in my opinion. So the fact that “the playing field will soon be leveled”, that IMO is a good thing. As I said before, let’s see how well Wake’s system looks when they have several high poverty schools in Southeast Raleigh, just like Charlotte’s West side for example.
So you like the idea of Wake county segregating its schools like CMS not because you think it is the right policy or beneficial for the children involved, but simply because it "levels the playing field" when debating the merits of each school system? That is a sad if not outright disturbing perspective my friend.

Quote:
You’re trying to suggest, “Oh this is no big deal…nothing’s really going to change”. Wishful thinking on your part, unfortunately
Speak for yourself. Those are your words not mine. My point is that any change will take much much longer than people think. It isn't wishful thinking on my part. I don't even have a dog in that fight. It's just the reality of the situation.

Quote:
And rather its one year, two years, or five, that’s really irrelevant, because as your media is saying…

…”The votes are still being counted in the race for Wake County school board, but one thing is certain, change is coming…”
Again, the time frame is relevant. The small vocal group that just voted in the new board members want change yesterday. They are sadly misguided if they think any meaningful change will happen soon. Their leaders have failed to manage their expectations. However, I find your blind trust in statements made by the media midly amusing as it is.

Quote:
Regarding the low turnout you keep bringing up, I posted this before…

..."The low turnout has always been there," said Pope, the GOP county leader. "The current board was elected by a low turnout"...
Right, so you made my point. Low voter turnout decided this board and the last. That does not change the fact that a 11% voter turnout does not support your claim that people "are made as hell" in Raleigh. We are talking about the current election right?

Like I said, I think we are talking past each other at this point, but I am glad I could clear a few things up for you in the process.

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 10-09-2009 at 10:27 AM..

Old 10-09-2009, 10:25 AM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Charlotte needs to find a way to attract the Creative Class/Cultural Elite, which is not an easy task. NASCAR, religious conservatism, and social conservatism are not gonna lure hip, young, or well-educated people nor the type of employers that hire them.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Banking was not just the icing on the top. I 100% disagree. People are just going to have to get over it that this wasn't the case.

That is the reason why the unemployment rate jumped so high in such a short amount of time.

Also, look, dont go crazy over the Detroit comment. We in terms of geography, climate, people are no where near like Detroit. We all know that . The point obv was to show what happens when you put all of your eggs in one basket w/o a plan like the leaders here did...now we're paying for it by coming late to the party w/ideas.
I think people who claim Charlotte’s high unemployment rate is based on the banking industry are overlooking the real problem which is the areas heavy dependence, particularly in the outlining counties, on manufacturing.

Link: Why is N.C. unemployment so high – and heading higher? Manufacturing – or lack thereof :: Local Tech Wire

Old 10-09-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Right, so you made my point. Low voter turnout decided this board and the last. That does not change the fact that a 11% voter turnout does not support your claim that people "are made as hell" in Raleigh..
If you don’t think the recent vote had anything to do with “widespread discontent”, then take that up with the folks in your city...

“…Victors in the Wake school board races were candidates who caught a wave of public discontent and rode it handsomely…"

Article: Hard lessons - Editorials - News & Observer

“…Winning candidates in Tuesday's Wake County school board elections achieved their victories by tapping into widespread resentment about the schools and offering up the rallying cry "neighborhood schools…"

Article: 'Neighborhood schools' issue tapped anger - Politics - News & Observer

I suppose what happened this past Tuesday was all a dream Think what you want. But I’ve got four words for you, ”Welcome to our World”.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:34 AM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times
I don't think that Charlotte is the Detroit of the East, but I think it needs to cultivate the things that sustain a city, like a vibrant, progressive culture, and infrastructure. I think Charlotte could benefit from UNCC becoming a powerhouse liberal arts college that is not so commuter-driven. RDU's colleges are the lifeblood of that region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte