Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:12 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I have no idea where you are from but you obviously know nothing about this city. Did you even read the posting to which you are responding? Secondly, I'm not going "crazy" over the Detroit comment. I just though it was pretty dumb analogy.
Sorry if you don't understand the detroit analogy. Its pretty easy to understand. Detroit had a lot of eggs in one basket w/the automotive industry. We had a ton w/our banking sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 12:17 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Saying it so doesn't make it so. That is the first thing that people will say when they are attempting to make a point where they are not on firm ground. I understand the tactic, but your implementation is really bad.

On your stats. Anyone doing any due diligence on your figures would first ask. How much of the population growth was in the annexed areas? You don't know and thus, your conclusion is incorrect as a result. Turn something like this in to a business and they would most likely fire you for making a conclusion that is based on assumption instead of the claimed facts. You also fell into the logical fallacy of comparing disparate and unrelated percentages but that is too sophisticated a topic to even begin a discussion.

Oh well. Why do I bother?
You said Raleigh grows without annexation (and Charlotte's only growth is through annexation). I proved you wrong. Why can't you admit it so we can move on? Now, would you like to see the Metro growth of these two or not?

Old 10-09-2009, 12:21 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
You said Raleigh grows without annexation (and Charlotte's only growth is through annexation). I proved you wrong. .
I didn't say that. It might help if you actually take the time to read these posts and take a moment to think about them. Well.... you are the 2nd to go onto my ignore list.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:18 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Sorry if you don't understand the detroit analogy. Its pretty easy to understand. Detroit had a lot of eggs in one basket w/the automotive industry. We had a ton w/our banking sector.
Well, MAYBE you could say that one thing is how we are similar to Detroit - but other than that? -there is NO comparison between the two cities. I wish you'd chosen another analogy too.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:53 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Umm, let me think. Who’s word should I believe? The city newspaper in Raleigh, or some dude on a message board I’ve never met who could be a 15 year-old kid for all I know….This is a tough one, but I think I’ll go with the Raleigh newspaper

Blue,

You are once again missing the point. My point being that you are citing headlines quoting people with an Agenda. Just becasue the person who champions an end to diversity says it was a mandate and they print that quote in the paper doesn't mean it is true. That is my point. The fact that you cite those articles to support your point only weakens your position. Again, the fact is only 11% of eligible voters particpated. No matter what is said in the paper, that does not = mass outrage. I'm not 15 but even a kid that age could figure that out.

I'm not going to keep going back and forth with you on this. I think the point has been clearly made.

FWIW, I like Charlotte. I really do. I have lots of friends who live there and I visit often. Some on these forums (not you) like to pretend there is a huge competition between Raleigh and Charlotte. Based on my experiences nothing could be further from the truth. But there will always be those with imaginary rivalries. I can't help that. But what I can do is correct people when they make gross mischaracterizations of Raleigh. I'm sure you would do the same is I came out with some bogus statement about Charlotte. I hope you can understand that. Have a great weekend!

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 10-09-2009 at 02:09 PM..

Old 10-09-2009, 02:24 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Blue,

You are once again missing the point. My point being that you are citing headlines quoting people with an Agenda. Just becasue the person who champions an end to diversity says it was a mandate and they print that quote in the paper doesn't mean it is true. That is my point. The fact that you cite those articles to support your point only weakens your position. Again, the fact is only 11% of eligible voters particpated. No matter what is said in the paper, that does not = mass outrage. I'm not 15 but even a kid that age could figure that out.

I'm not going to keep going back and forth with you on this. I think the point has been clearly made.

FWIW, I like Charlotte. I really do. I have lots of friends who live there and I visit often. Some on these forums (not you) like to pretend there is a huge competition between Raleigh and Charlotte. Based on my experiences nothing could be further from the truth. But there will always be those with imaginary rivalries. I can't help that. But what I can do is correct people when they make gross mischaracterizations of Raleigh. I'm sure you would do the same is I came out with some bogus statement about Charlotte. I hope you can understand that. Have a great weekend!
A "gross mischaracterization"? Again, I guess we'll all just act like the election in Wake county this past Tuesday didn't happen. Wake county’s school board didn’t just experience a major upheaval, man didn’t really land on the moon, the holocaust never really happened, and there really is a bigfoot. Got it.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
A "gross mischaracterization"? Again, I guess we'll all just act like the election in Wake county this past Tuesday didn't happen. Wake county’s school board didn’t just experience a major upheaval, man didn’t really land on the moon, the holocaust never really happened, and there really is a bigfoot. Got it.
11% voter turnout does not equal mass outrage. So yeah, I think what you stated is a gross mischaracterization. I'll not bother with your other petty comments. Those are all yours. I think you get it.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:57 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Anybody have any comments or suggestions on how CLT can present an attractive package to young professionals looking to build their future in a new city?

The race to the finish line was not w/ Raleigh you might recall if you took the time to read the WSJ article.

What do we have right now?( Let Raleigh solve their own problems.) In these difficult financial times young ppl. are looking to move to a city that
gives them some hope that their "investment" will pay off in years to come.

Or, do we not have a package currently to offer?

Old 10-09-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Anybody have any comments or suggestions on how CLT can present an attractive package to young professionals looking to build their future in a new city?

The race to the finish line was not w/ Raleigh you might recall if you took the time to read the WSJ article.

What do we have right now?( Let Raleigh solve their own problems.) In these difficult financial times young ppl. are looking to move to a city that
gives them some hope that their "investment" will pay off in years to come.

Or, do we not have a package currently to offer?

I think Charlotte has lots to offer young people. The economy tanking and banking industry gave it a big blow opportunity wise (much like other parts of the country). Young people need jobs so they don't have to live in their parents basements. Keep building the job market and they will keep coming. As jobs come back to Charlotte the young people will follow and Charlotte will once again populate the top of this list.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:34 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

Yes, but Charlotte doesn't. Banking is extremely huge, but that isn't all that is in Charlotte. We are one of the top Fortune 500 cities. Can't believe you haven't noticed other huge businesses, ie. airline, Lowes, NASCAR, .........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte