U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:23 PM

2,820 posts, read 4,914,366 times

Advertisements

Charlotte Offically Falls Off The Map
Charlotte officially falls off the map | Charlotte | News | Citizen Servatius
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 03:14 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I like Tara Servatius a lot, but I just don't agree that Charlotte spent the last 15 years trying to become a tourist destination. Sure, things like the NASCAR museum will attract tourists, but we don't want to become some kind of touristy place. We just want to be a city that offers a lot for its citizens and visitors to do. Really, the fact we have fallen off the list of "hot places" for trendy young 30-somethings is all due to the current economy and our high unemployment. So? So now fewer people will flock here for jobs for a while - I'm okay with that, gives the city a chance to catch its breath and let the schools and infrastructure catch up a bit too

Charlotte is far from really falling off the map - we were a great city before the banking crisis and we'll be a great city for decades to come.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:22 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,925,228 times
I was in Raleigh recently to attend a wedding and had some time to spend looking around and they have gotten a lot of things right about that city. Charlotte has spent too much money on building monuments to excess whereas they have focused more on making Raleigh a nice place for the people.

There is a lot to take note of there. Another city where they have done an absolutely great job of reviving their downtown area is Greenville, SC. Will this be taken note of in Charlotte? Not a chance.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:46 PM

7,105 posts, read 9,699,824 times
Default Overdramatic

I recall reading that article on the plane down to Charlotte a couple of weeks ago.
The reviewer IMO makes it sound as if the WSJ article was a comparsion of the two cities, which it was not. Rather, the art. rated the top cities that would draw "young ppl" in the future and why.

The Next Hot Youth-Magnet Cities - WSJ.com

Old 10-07-2009, 03:56 PM

969 posts, read 1,660,855 times
I find it interesting that Tara and her followers rip on Democrats/liberals but then say Charlotte should look up to Raleigh-Durham, which is much more Democratic/liberal than the Charlotte area. Not to turn this into a political debate or anything, but if Raleigh is doing so well, why is she, as usual, blaming the Democrats? Yeah, I don't get it either. I really think it has nothing to do with political party affiliation...

Old 10-07-2009, 04:15 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,480,053 times
*In the future try not put one word titles and give your opinion or a snippet of the article."
(ill change the title you only have 40 minutes to change a post)
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 10-07-2009, 05:26 PM

841 posts, read 1,237,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post

Westcoastbabe - based on your opinionated statement and other statements I've seen you make, you really don't care for Charlotte much, or so it would seem. Am I wrong?

Old 10-07-2009, 05:36 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,745 times
These placements are a joke. Charlotte goes up and down continuously. One day we will be off the charts and the next month we'll likely be on top. God knows how many times over the past two years Charlotte has been in the top three nationally in various categories.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:55 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,985,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
I find it interesting that Tara and her followers rip on Democrats/liberals but then say Charlotte should look up to Raleigh-Durham, which is much more Democratic/liberal than the Charlotte area. Not to turn this into a political debate or anything, but if Raleigh is doing so well, why is she, as usual, blaming the Democrats? Yeah, I don't get it either. I really think it has nothing to do with political party affiliation...
You got that right. On her show she constantly praises Raleigh's school system and talks how Charlotte should be more like theirs. Uhh, duhhh, they still bus kids in Raleigh

And she has this thing how she keeps calling Raleigh the "next big thing". And then she'll say, "You watch and see, I'm telling you, they're going to be the next boom town in NC". She claims to be this great researcher but I guess she's missed all these years Raleigh has been growing faster than Charlotte, and all these years Raleigh has ranked higher than Charlotte in a gazillion polls.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:50 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,692,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
It seems that 99% of every topic Tara has in some way gets twisted into an attack Obama rant. I have noticed that since the new owners have took over wbt radio that ALL of their show host make anti-Obama statements but she is obsessed with it and she has no credibility. She was the one I recall that went on and on and on and on about Obama being a friend to arab terrorist and she just wont stop her crying and whining and slanting and spinning . I cant listen anymore and I had been a regular listener for 50 years The first radio I ever had at age 9 was a cheap little transistor tuned in to TY Boyd .WBT has an agenda, an agenda thats not good for the country now that Obama has been elected. You would think by the hatred people like Tara shows every time she gets a mike in her hands that she is pushing for people to take to the streets with guns and fight our elected government.I wish WBT would go off of the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or