U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 02:54 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,948,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I'm not afraid to honk my horn for about anything.

Sitting with your right blinker on at a red light when it's clear? I'm honking... y'all act like a horn toot is tantamount to a slap in the face. Well... it ain't. lighten up. You don't HAVE to move, I don't HAVE to refrain from honking! See how this works?

And if you do that, I am gonna respond, but it isn't gonna be by making that turn faster . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 02:59 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,049,495 times
I just read the drivers handbook and was surprised to learn that you are supposed to honk when you pass somebody on a two lane road. Plus, the honk puts the other driver under a legal obligation to help you pass.

This is now officially way off topic.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:06 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,680,723 times
I never try to do anything that will cause a problem. I even let people out often when I can except if they are on the phone. Then I figure they dont deserve any consideration because the fact that they are on the phone means safety isnt inportant to them anyway. If I am daydreaming etc and the light turns green it never upsets me for the car behind to honk..Thats ok I need it. BUTTTTTTTTTTTT.. dont be aggresive and try to send me any frikkin message with your horn....I have a bird cocked and ready for people that do....lol Road rage gets people killed, Ive seen it happin. A friends dad was shot and killed over a parking space....

Old 10-08-2009, 03:08 PM

1,644 posts, read 4,094,782 times
Does the law say anything about how you are allowed to use your horn?

Old 10-08-2009, 03:09 PM

1,644 posts, read 4,094,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I just read the drivers handbook and was surprised to learn that you are supposed to honk when you pass somebody on a two lane road. Plus, the honk puts the other driver under a legal obligation to help you pass.

This is now officially way off topic.
Yes-I read that a while ago and was surprised.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:28 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,141,609 times
Several years ago when I was in training to get my CDL, the instructor said something in class that I have never forgotten: "Don't let the cars behind you drive you". Seeing as how many people are impatient with the big 18-wheelers, it's expected that there will be those that honk and cut you off and tailgate, etc. Since then it's always stuck with me, and even though I only drove the big trucks for 4 months, I still live by that thought today just doing everyday driving in my car. I do try to abide by the speed limit and, especially on the two lane roads near where I live, there are those that don't, and they tailgate. And the more they tailgate, the closer to the speed limit I go. 35 mph on a two lane county road must be excruciating for them. But hey, I always think to myself...if you have a problem with it take it up with the County, not me...they are the ones that set the speed limit.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,423,357 times
If you end up in a wreck in the afternoon then I can herenit with Brian Sawyer on 95.1 he is hilarious
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 10-08-2009, 11:29 PM

55 posts, read 172,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Yo ,You must not understand that turning on red IS AN OPTION. and its not unsafe to wait. Its really no concern of yours until its YOUR TURN....Honk all you want but it will just mean REAL problems for YOU if you do it to someone who knows the laws like ME LOL Take out your road rage on cell phone using and texting fools but I would guess that you may be one of them too...
Stop assuming that you know so much about me and re-read what I wrote. First off, as I said, I have honked when the driver ahead of me wasn't paying attention. Second, since when has a simple quick honk to get the attention become road rage as you suggest about me? As for texting while driving, I don't even have that service enabled on my phone as I despise it, not that it's really any business of yours, but since you made the suggestion. Yeah. I do talk on the phone while driving, unless traffic is heavy and then I will let the voice mail take the call. Whatever you wanted to make of my reply, you kinda got it wrong when you jumped to a few conclusions there. If you want to call it an option, then fine, as I call it being overly cautious to sit through a light with no approaching traffic. You may be right, it may be an option, and yes, it's not unsafe to wait. Then again, it's not unsafe to proceed when there is no approaching traffic either.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:17 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,948,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Shadd View Post
Stop assuming that you know so much about me and re-read what I wrote. First off, as I said, I have honked when the driver ahead of me wasn't paying attention. Second, since when has a simple quick honk to get the attention become road rage as you suggest about me? As for texting while driving, I don't even have that service enabled on my phone as I despise it, not that it's really any business of yours, but since you made the suggestion. Yeah. I do talk on the phone while driving, unless traffic is heavy and then I will let the voice mail take the call. Whatever you wanted to make of my reply, you kinda got it wrong when you jumped to a few conclusions there. If you want to call it an option, then fine, as I call it being overly cautious to sit through a light with no approaching traffic. You may be right, it may be an option, and yes, it's not unsafe to wait. Then again, it's not unsafe to proceed when there is no approaching traffic either.
Methinks you over-reacted, Allen - really.

Here's the way I see it . . . people seem to lose their manners when they get in a car - here in Charlotte, anyway. I have been astounded at how rude drivers are here since I moved back in 2002. It used to be different - people were polite, but dang . . . so many drivers in a huff, quick to do unsafe things such as tailgate and honk the horn if someone decides the world isn't moving like he/she expects.

I don't think NativeChief was even directly meaning YOU . . . he was just saying this IN GENERAL, as was I, in my earlier comments.

We are all just giving opinions here . . . I don't think anyone meant to offend you.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:46 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,049,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Shadd View Post
If you want to call it an option, then fine, as I call it being overly cautious to sit through a light with no approaching traffic. You may be right, it may be an option, and yes, it's not unsafe to wait. Then again, it's not unsafe to proceed when there is no approaching traffic either.
It's not a matter of calling it optional, it IS optional. This is not a matter of opinion it is a matter of fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte