U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 11:32 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,726,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Indeed, it's in the ~$230M tax dollar range. About par for the course for a project that was supposed to run $100M. And this is the stuff that we know about.

It's ironic that it is going to cater to a crowd that is anti-government like this gun convention.
I am not an NRA member, but I really think you comment is ignorant. How can you possibly justify such a comment? That's like saying that all Obama supporters are anti-American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 11:37 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,945,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I am not an NRA member, but I really think you comment is ignorant. How can you possibly justify such a comment? That's like saying that all Obama supporters are anti-American.
You are on a roll today. If you think I am ignorant after the posts I have made here then so be it. There is nothing that I can say that is going to change that opinion, and now that I think about it, don't have any care to anyway.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:23 AM

1,382 posts, read 1,947,129 times
The US Constitution and the Amendments were written to protect the freedom(S) of each individual American. Why would any true American be against protecting the freedom of individual citizens. Our country was founded We the People, not we the government. We could all benefit from a history review surrounding our founding fathers, the Declaration of Independence, the American Revolution, the Constitution, and all of the Amendments--lest we forget how the United States became a nation and the importance and protection of individual freedoms.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,600,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
The US Constitution and the Amendments were written to protect the freedom(S) of each individual American. Why would any true American be against protecting the freedom of individual citizens. Our country was founded We the People, not we the government. We could all benefit from a history review surrounding our founding fathers, the Declaration of Independence, the American Revolution, the Constitution, and all of the Amendments--lest we forget how the United States became a nation and the importance and protection of individual freedoms.
Your right my great great Granfather General Riley Leonard Fought for
our freedom here in the South

I am for a Civil War history Month
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 05-16-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
.....We could all benefit from a history review surrounding our founding fathers, the Declaration of Independence, the American Revolution, the Constitution, and all of the Amendments--lest we forget how the United States became a nation and the importance and protection of individual freedoms.
So when all these documents were written, why were there still slaves? Why didn't women have the "freedom" to vote?

The point is the argument... "Why would any true American be against protecting the freedom of individual citizen" is pointless and irrelevant in the context of discussions of the US Constitution as it relates to modern life. It was designed to be challenged, not cast in stone never to be changed or interpreted in legislation. Please do take your advice on making a review of our history as I think the founding fathers would not want to hear that 230+ years later we are making litmus tests of what is a True American.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:15 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,475,846 times
Well I had a great time at the convention. What did the rest of you think of it?

Old 05-16-2010, 01:06 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,165,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Well I had a great time at the convention. What did the rest of you think of it?
I've been tied up for over a week with various graduation events and family gatherings, so I did not attend. But I love the exposure for Charlotte and am hoping this was also a big revenue generator for the city/county.

Sadly, I heard our Charlotte thugs were out and broke into cars parked at the HILTON. What a great way to welcome folks to our area, but it was soooo predictable. I guess it makes the point very well that a gun isn't a crime deterrent - it takes someone behind the gun to fend off the bands of roving repeat offenders we seem to have in this city.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:25 PM

1,382 posts, read 1,947,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
So when all these documents were written, why were there still slaves? Why didn't women have the "freedom" to vote?

The point is the argument... "Why would any true American be against protecting the freedom of individual citizen" is pointless and irrelevant in the context of discussions of the US Constitution as it relates to modern life. It was designed to be challenged, not cast in stone never to be changed or interpreted in legislation. Please do take your advice on making a review of our history as I think the founding fathers would not want to hear that 230+ years later we are making litmus tests of what is a True American.
The whole point of our country is freedom of individuals and a government of the people, by the people, for the people. Are you saying that individual freedoms are outdated--no longer relevant to modern life? I would hope not. Isn't America a great place where all citizens have the protection of freedom of speech, freedom to speak our opinions and what is on our mind. I don't remember reading anything about a litmus test except in your post.

When the amendments were added at different times, it was to secure more freedom not less freedom.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
.....Are you saying that individual freedoms are outdated--no longer relevant to modern life?...... When the amendments were added at different times, it was to secure more freedom not less freedom.
OK you completely ignored what I posted so I won't respond to your next red herring "Are you saying that individual freedoms are outdated--no longer relevant to modern life?". I take it you really don't want to have a discussion. It's a statement that is only intended to distract from the issue.

As to your comment on the Constitution and freedom, the 18th Amendment removed the freedom for all Americans to purchase alcohol so this "assumption" of yours is also incorrect. It's a primary example of what happens when the self righteous, who like to quote the Constitution even though they have never read or understand it, push their agenda. The argument for the 18th amendment is that it would give Americans the "freedom" of not having to deal with the issues of alcohol.

Last edited by lumbollo; 05-17-2010 at 06:14 AM..

Old 05-17-2010, 05:23 AM

830 posts, read 1,318,223 times
I guess the 16th amendment allowing for federal income taxes also "secured more freedom"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or