U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:44 AM

19 posts, read 69,930 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I tried doing a search and couldn't find what I am looking for...

We were thinking of taking a little getaway for Christmas vacation. We are a family of five with kids 9, 7 and 2.5. Looking for something around $500 for just a few days. Not looking for anything in particular, just a family fun getaway. Obviously, with a low budget it would have to be somewhere within decent driving distance, a few hours at the most. Doesn't have to be warm or cold or involve sun or snow. We are open to all and any ideas!

I'm sure their are others out there that may have taken a trip to the nearby mountains or beaches for a winter vacation?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 12:34 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,137 times
1. How about Asheville area and visiting the Biltmore House when they do the Christmas candle tours. My wife and I went last year, great experience. You could stay somewhere with an inside pool and take day trips to nearby mountain attractions.

2. Charleston, S.C. visit the historical areas, plantations, downtown, and Ft. Sumter. Hotels are very reasonable in North Charleston. Again, many have inside swimming pools.

3. Myrtle Beach has some great family resorts that are pretty reasonable that time of the year.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:41 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrubicon View Post
Hey all,

We were thinking of taking a little getaway for Christmas vacation. We are a family of five with kids 9, 7 and 2.5. Looking for something around $500 for just a few days. Not looking for anything in particular, just a family fun getaway. Obviously, with a low budget it would have to be somewhere within decent driving distance, a few hours at the most. Doesn't have to be warm or cold or involve sun or snow. We are open to all and any ideas!

I'm sure their are others out there that may have taken a trip to the nearby mountains or beaches for a winter vacation?

Thanks

Kids sure seem to love the Great Wolf Lodge!

Charlotte-Concord Waterpark - Great Wolf Resorts - Indoor Water Park Resort

Old 10-08-2009, 02:00 PM

412 posts, read 811,442 times
Myrtle Beach. We go around that time every year. You can stay in the REALLY nice resorts for very cheap.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:37 PM

19 posts, read 69,930 times
Great suggestions guys, I appreciate it.

Haven't been to Asheville or Charleston yet, that sounds fun too. I definitely know the kids would like the Great Wolf resort...guess we have some choices now!

What is the best way to find the nice resorts in Myrtle? Any recommendations on actual places you guys have stayed?

Old 10-08-2009, 02:40 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,580,563 times
Quote:

Haven't been to Asheville or Charleston yet, that sounds fun too. I definitely know the kids would like the Great Wolf resort...guess we have some choices now!

What is the best way to find the nice resorts in Myrtle? Any recommendations on actual places you guys have stayed?

try the myrtle beach forum....

I second Charleston though.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:48 PM

1,644 posts, read 4,098,240 times
Quote:
Hey all,

Thanks
If you can pin down an area,then at that time of the year you will get a good deal on a vacation rental.Try googling vacation rentals for the major sites.
How about Wilmington area? Has the battle ships and walkable town area, plus beaches for walks.Also the aquarium at Fort Fisher. From Fort Fisher you can take car on the ferry across to Southport (small quaint town with a few shops, nice beachfront area etc) and then drive back to Wilmington.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
If you can pin down an area,then at that time of the year you will get a good deal on a vacation rental.Try googling vacation rentals for the major sites.
How about Wilmington area? Has the battle ships and walkable town area, plus beaches for walks.Also the aquarium at Fort Fisher. From Fort Fisher you can take car on the ferry across to Southport (small quaint town with a few shops, nice beachfront area etc) and then drive back to Wilmington.
Actually, Wilmington is also a good day trip from Myrtle Beach.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Hey all,

Thanks
I often use Hotwire.Com to book hotels. I usually get a three or four star for half what others pay. Might want to do some research on Hotwire. The only problem is that Hotwire doesn't tell you the name of the hotels available but will tell you what part of the city or resort it is located. Then you can pick what area and what price and rating. Good luck. On a last note, I was last in Asheville in November. It was very cold (13 degrees) and had snow. Very nice if you like that kind of weather and hit it just right.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:20 PM

412 posts, read 811,442 times
Quote:

Our favorite is the Avista. It's reasonable during the offseason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte