U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 06:21 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,284,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FondofCharlotte View Post
The populations of Greensboro, Raleigh, Winston Salem, Fayetteville, Cary, and Highpoint is ~754,000. The population of Mecklenburg county is 739,000.
It doesn't even matter how you're calculating either of those figures, they'd be flat-out wrong in any case. And if you want to compare apples to apples, you'd have to compare either all counties or all cities. Wake County is almost as populous as Mecklenburg County. Once you throw in Guilford, Forsyth, and Cumberland, you've definitely got a much larger population base. I'm not saying that this disqualifies Charlotte from having a zoo, but I wanted to correct this incorrect information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 12:00 AM
am2

413 posts, read 743,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
It doesn't even matter how you're calculating either of those figures, they'd be flat-out wrong in any case. And if you want to compare apples to apples, you'd have to compare either all counties or all cities. Wake County is almost as populous as Mecklenburg County. Once you throw in Guilford, Forsyth, and Cumberland, you've definitely got a much larger population base. I'm not saying that this disqualifies Charlotte from having a zoo, but I wanted to correct this incorrect information.

the charlotte area has nearly twice the population of raleigh durham

Old 11-28-2009, 05:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,465,585 times
can we go talking about zoo instead of crunching population numbers
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 11-28-2009, 11:25 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,102,313 times
I was also underwhelmed regarding the Asheboro zoo. If I can tour the zoo in an afternoon, it really needs help, IMHO.

Seriously doubt that a zoo would take root here. It would be great, but, I am skeptical.

And, Sunny, a lot of folks think that driving more than 5 miles is a chore, let alone 1.5 hours!

Old 07-06-2014, 05:15 PM

6 posts, read 17,798 times
Cool Charlotte Zoological Park signs contract for 110 acres

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
Sorry, say what you want, but I still think this website/project is sketchy as hell. I would LOVE for Charlotte to have a zoo, but this particular initiative reeks of either scam or incompetence. If they are serious, they need to have more on their site than a generic mission statement, a link to one fundraiser, and a map. If this guy has any qualifications (which I seriously doubt), then he should explain what they are. Who would even donate money to a group that doesn't explain who they are, what their qualifications are, or how they are planning on funding it??? Especially when, if you google the guy in charge, all you can find out is that he's a poker player!!! If it's NOT a scam, they are doing a darn good job making it seem like it is.

The beauty of a response is that it tells the readers the amount of knowledge that poster actually has regarding the subject.

Knowledge is power................from a fellow Chicagoian (sp)
The Charlotte Zoological Park just signed a contract for 100 acres of land. In addition, they will be announcing details for this facility through a press conference later this week. Included will be a Market Analysis and Economic Potential Report that substantiates the zoos ability to be economically sustainable. It will serve a market of 2.6+ million plus residents, and over 700,000 K-12 kids. The facility will have an annual budget of approximately $30 million, and an indirect economic impact of approximately $80 million. The zoo will create an estimated 200 jobs, many high paying skilled positions.
Now............What to do with the NC Zoo.................Here are our thoughts...................
First, it has not been economically sustainable, and can not be economically sustainable. The appropriation last year was over $10 million, and my understanding is that there is a substantial appropriation every year. That means close to $200 million to support an endeavor that was never meant to be a zoo. That's right. The NC Zoo was envisioned and built to be a animal sanctuary by the creators. In addition, the demographics do not support a facility like the NC Zoo in the Asheboro area.
We have ideas that will keep the NC Zoo open and potentially take the financial burden off the taxpayers.
A major zoo, other than Animal Kingdom, has not been built in the United States in approximately 25 years. We have the opportunity to build a world renowned Zoological Park with naturalistic exhibits with superior viewing utilizing modern technologies.
Look for our press release.
Thank you for your interest..........Please pass on to your friends, join our face book.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:26 PM

6 posts, read 17,798 times
Cool Market Report supports Zoo in Charlotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Your numbers are inaccurate. The Charlotte area (CSA) has 2.6+ million residents within a 50 mile radius (that is the important fact you left out that indicates if a facility will have revisits), and over 700,000 K-12 kids. The Market Analysis and Economic Potential estimate over one million visitors per year. Supporting an estimated budget of $30 million, indirect economic benefit of approximately $80 million, and creating 200 jobs many of which are skilled and high paying.
The bottom line is that the NC Zoo has not been economically sustainable and can not. Last year alone the appropriation from NC was over $10 million. If you add that up over the last 20 years it is close to $200 million. And now, David Jones, is asking the State for $40 million, for repairs and maintenance. Yes, $40 million. When will the madness stop.
The NC Zoo facility was envisioned and designed to be an animal sanctuary. Not a zoo. We have ideas that would potentially take the financial burden off the NC taxpayers.
email me for more info if interested.................if in our area..............show up at one of our 44 meet ups.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:30 PM

601 posts, read 789,143 times
I wish the best of luck to you guys. If you do manage to succeed in building the zoo, I'll be there day one. I'm a huge sucker for zoos and aquariums, and it would be nice to get to go to the zoo more often, and not have to make a long trip to Asheboro.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:33 AM

3,734 posts, read 3,260,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FondofCharlotte View Post
Your numbers are inaccurate. The Charlotte area (CSA) has 2.6+ million residents within a 50 mile radius (that is the important fact you left out that indicates if a facility will have revisits), and over 700,000 K-12 kids. The Market Analysis and Economic Potential estimate over one million visitors per year. Supporting an estimated budget of $30 million, indirect economic benefit of approximately $80 million, and creating 200 jobs many of which are skilled and high paying.
The bottom line is that the NC Zoo has not been economically sustainable and can not. Last year alone the appropriation from NC was over $10 million. If you add that up over the last 20 years it is close to $200 million. And now, David Jones, is asking the State for $40 million, for repairs and maintenance. Yes, $40 million. When will the madness stop.
The NC Zoo facility was envisioned and designed to be an animal sanctuary. Not a zoo. We have ideas that would potentially take the financial burden off the NC taxpayers.
email me for more info if interested.................if in our area..............show up at one of our 44 meet ups.

For 20$ a month, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or