U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 07:48 AM

172 posts, read 405,862 times

Advertisements

Businesses use the flyers because they do work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 03:20 PM

5,116 posts, read 1,808,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
It's a good way to **** off a lot of potential customers if the responses in this topic are any kind of representation on how people perceive these flyers. if businesses want to put their information in a flyer bag and hang it on my front door, then I don't mind, but I don't what this junk all over my front yard and stuck all over my mail and paper boxes with scotch tape, rubber bands, folded over the flag, jammed between the box and the post and thrown on the driveway.
Because 1 size fits all, right?

I don't mind if an extra flyer is in my mailbox, I get a ton of junk mail already. Its life.

Something hung on my doorknob when my hands are already full going into the house, is going to **** me off more because I'm already carrying all my mail and it should have just been with it.

I understand why there is a need for the law these days, but I'm partial to small business - I don't mind them doing putting out flyers to generate business, we are all hurting in small business right now (except roofers, funny how many roofers there are now, since thats about the only type of small business thats thriving atm)

Old 10-10-2009, 07:19 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,687,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
I know it is annoying, but before you report someone who is just trying to make a living and survive in this terrible economy, think about it...
No one other than yourself or the mail carrier should ever open your mailbox. What if you were expecting a paycheck, tax refund or other form of pay? It is illegal and people need to respect your privacy.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:31 PM

116 posts, read 253,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I just throw them in the trash
You can't be serious? You just throw them away?

Old 10-10-2009, 07:41 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,868,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ignatowski View Post
You can't be serious? You just throw them away?
I know right? Next time I'll call the cops

Old 10-10-2009, 11:11 PM

171 posts, read 311,393 times
If these flyers are worthy of four pages of panties in a knot, you have too little to worry about.

Time to warp into a life with some responsibilities and things worth worrying about.

- Diggums

Old 10-11-2009, 04:31 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,926,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggums View Post
If these flyers are worthy of four pages of panties in a knot, you have too little to worry about.

Time to warp into a life with some responsibilities and things worth worrying about. - Diggums
Would you please create a post that would let the rest of us know the appropriate number of pages should be for the various types of topics? I will treat this information with the same reverence as the 10-15 flyers that end up on my mailbox and yard each week. While we are at it, what is the purpose for signing a post with your name when the forum software already does this?

Old 10-11-2009, 08:16 AM

3 posts, read 5,984 times
They should ONLY be putting things into paperboxes, NOT mailboxes! I know this because I have gone out to do the paperboxes myself for my clown and kids party business. The problem is that some people that are hired to "distribute" are naive or inconsiderate. Actually I would rather say ignorant. For example. MANY of those businesses that put flyers in your mailboxes are NOT the businesses themselves. There are several flyer and business companies in and around Charlotte who "distribute" flyers for businesses and range in cost from a few hundred dollars to a thousand or more. Who knows where they get their people, or if their people are knowledgeable about the laws and ordinances? Too often I think they are probably naive or ignorant. I have never used one of those services. Another example is that one 100 degree summer day, I had noticed an immigrant male walking my subdivision putting chinese restaurant menus into paperboxes. I actually ran out to the guy to give him bottled water as I don't think that even he knew what he had gotten into that day. He had on jeans and boots, and looked very distraught and overheated. I actually thanked him for the menu and I was VERY angry that this particular restaurant would have even thought about hiring anyone to walk subdivisions in that heat. If I would have thought about it, I would have more than paid the guy to stop walking the subdivision, the $6 an hour that he was probably getting paid from this restaurant to be their slave labor.

With all this being said, I don't mind if i get flyers and things in my paperbox as long as its the paperbox and not the mailbox. I do not like things placed on my mailbox, on the flag, pinned under the flag, taped on the mailbox door etc. As long as its in the paperbox, to me, its not any different than the junk mail IN the mailbox. If its interesting, i'll take a look at it. If not, then it hits the trash just like the junk "mail" does.

More often than not, I do find coupons from "local" businesses here in NE Charlotte. I am a big fan of supporting local businesses so I have often used those coupons and things from the surrounding area because I would rather buy local and keep them in business than see their empty building turn into an eyesore like so many businesses in and around Charlotte. If you get coupons in your paperbox from things that you obviously know are around the corner from your own home, please go to those businesses and give them your patronage, especially if they are some "mom and pop" shop, and not a large corporate franchise. In closing, if you get your paper actually in your paperbox you are lucky! Mine gets thrown on my driveway in a plastic bag. So if that is your case as well, then consider removing your paperbox if it is not serving any function, or completely close your paperbox or fill it. If you do get solicitations that are any place other than in the paperbox, I would consider calling the business and speaking to the manager as they probably have no idea that the teenager or others they have hired to do that monotonous work is doing it incorrectly and or without consideration.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:46 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,077,687 times
Placing flyers (fliers?) IN the mailbox is at least a violation of 18 U.S.C. 1725.

Crimes and Criminal Procedure - 18 USC Section 1725 - US Code

These ads are being distributed because the company/business owner can't/doesn't want to pay for direct mailing. It is definitely a violation of law, whether or not you should actually report it is up to you.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:32 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,694,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I know right? Next time I'll call the cops
Im sure the cops will jump right on this crime..............gezzzz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte