Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 08:30 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times

Advertisements

Yeah, it is VERY diverse in uptown on the weekends. It is NOTHING to see guys dressed in drag walking the streets (and nobody seems to care). Honestly, I'd rather be in a city that is accepting to all rather than a city that points, laughs, and judges others. The Charlotte I grew up in was the latter. The Charlotte of today is quickly becoming the aforementioned city (very accepting). I am sooooo proud of my home town. It won't be long before others in the US discover just how "cool" this city is becoming. Once the word gets out, I predict another major population boom for this city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 06:48 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Even Bugtussle, NC is "jumping after dark" around the local Hardees.
So what's it like at the Bugtussle Hardees on a Friday night? Do you have fun there?

Old 10-13-2009, 07:02 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,213 times
when photos of uptown charlotte no longer have to be cropped to make it appear larger than it really is, charlotte will no longer be considered a "small" city.

same thing with those lynx shots. when they stop shooting from various angles to make it look like its more than two cars...well, you get the picture.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:02 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
when photos of uptown charlotte no longer have to be cropped to make it appear larger than it really is, charlotte will no longer be considered a "small" city.

same thing with those lynx shots. when they stop shooting from various angles to make it look like its more than two cars...well, you get the picture.
Only a dumbass would actually consider charlotte a "small" city. A metro area of 2 million elliminates that title. It may not be Atlanta, but small, don't think so. By the way, people in photography often chop to alter pictures to get a point across or for other reasons. It is sort of like when you put on makeup in the mornings to look pretty.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:24 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
This topic makes no sense. Even Bugtussle, NC is "jumping after dark" around the local Hardees.
Is that near Podunk?

Old 10-13-2009, 02:19 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post

There you go again eek. You do realize that Charlotte now has one of the Nation's top 20 skylines. There was a recent thread on this topic and it was found that Charlotte now has more 90 meter plus buildings than Cleveland. Being that Cleveland had the Nation's 19th largest skyline; Charlotte is #19 now (and Charlotte now has the largest skyline on all of I-77 from Columbia to Cleveland).

Are you willing to call America's 19th largest skyline "small" eek? If so, then Milwaukee, Kansas City, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Tampa, San Antonio etc ALL have "small" skylines (because they all now rank below Charlotte when it comes to skylines).

Also, only two of the aforementioned cities (St. Louis and Cleveland) have rail transit. So calling Charlotte's trains small (when most mid-large cities don't even have trains) kinda shows that you don't get out of NYC much.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:06 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
If you think that Charlotte is a small city, you haven't been downtown on a weekend night. Went to a play last night and it was packed everywhere, restaurants, playhouses, bars, and sidewalks. It is amazing that people say that Charlotte isn't diverse. Have these people even been to Charlotte. There was an even distribution of people from all continents walking around. And to think that the new Music Factory was just a mile away too. Nobody in their right mind could say that Charlotte isn't jumping after dark.
I totally agree with you vindaloo! I've been to uptown Charlotte plenty of times in the last 2 years on a Friday and a Saturday night and it was crowded. There were times when I left around 1am and it took me almost an hour to get out of uptown b/c of the car and pedestrian traffic. For a lot of people who say that Charlotte is boring and there's nothing to do, I don't know what part of Charlotte you've been to, b/c uptown is anything but boring.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:54 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
There you go again eek. You do realize that Charlotte now has one of the Nation's top 20 skylines. There was a recent thread on this topic and it was found that Charlotte now has more 90 meter plus buildings than Cleveland. Being that Cleveland had the Nation's 19th largest skyline; Charlotte is #19 now (and Charlotte now has the largest skyline on all of I-77 from Columbia to Cleveland).

Are you willing to call America's 19th largest skyline "small" eek? If so, then Milwaukee, Kansas City, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Tampa, San Antonio etc ALL have "small" skylines (because they all now rank below Charlotte when it comes to skylines).

Also, only two of the aforementioned cities (St. Louis and Cleveland) have rail transit. So calling Charlotte's trains small (when most mid-large cities don't even have trains) kinda shows that you don't get out of NYC much.
Your talking to a wall and not a very smart one. I think somebody in town kicked his ass and he is angry at the city.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:39 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Default charlotte is ok

As a gay black male who use to live Charllote and has no emotional ties to the city, the city was a long ways from being a conservative place. IMO, people generally where tollerant of others differences.

It didn't have a lot of nightlife but due tot he fact that I met so many other transplants that where single and fairly upwardly mobile it was not boring. (I guess it was what I made of it).

I now reside in Chicago and am loving it. But I hate to read that so many people are unhappy with their lives that they can't enjoy what their city has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: