U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 03:40 PM

330 posts, read 932,381 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: Personal/off topic

The point I was making was directly refuting the line about the area not being safe enough to walk your dog after dark, which is patently untrue. While there are certain streets in NoDA that one may think twice about before approaching at night (I happen to live on one of them) the vast majority of the neighborhood is perfectly safe. I experienced a couple of instances of personal property theft (my own fault, really), but at no point have I ever, EVER felt threatened. This is not the NoDA of five years ago or even of one year ago.

Don't believe me? Take a trip up and drive around a bit. You may be shocked to find all sorts of perfectly safe activity on the streets at night here! Parents walking strollers! Yuppies riding their stupid bicycles! And yes, people walking their dogs ....

For the OP looking for a place under $150k ... you aren't going to find anything for that price around here that doesn't need a complete remodeling or that is actually in NoDA. Be careful of houses being advertised as being in NoDA but that are actually in neighborhoods that still have a long transition ahead of them, such as Villa Heights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 04:08 PM

549 posts, read 2,187,915 times
Noda is great place for a certain type of individual, with a more hipster sensability. Sometimes it takes longer for an area's reputation to catch up to the rapid changes of gentrification. Noda has been transformed into a much more diverse place where unique is cherished. The only thing that worries me is that the very group of people the poineers are not priced out. For 150k you can find a flat in uptown. Check the Uptown magazine. Their current issue has almost every single project in the charlotte area listed with details. http://www.uptownclt.com/

However if your keen on NODA, you can check the new block 90 project. They are already preselling these new style of environmentally-friendly condo. They will be industrial looking with big windows of the growing skyline. Prices are starting in the 100k range. They sell you the flat in the shell like state and you put the floors,cabinets, toilets etc. That way the place reflects the owner completely. Also NODA18 still is selling some units.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:20 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,424,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anigirli View Post
Noda is great place for a certain type of individual, with a more hipster sensability. Sometimes it takes longer for an area's reputation to catch up to the rapid changes of gentrification. Noda has been transformed into a much more diverse place where unique is cherished. The only thing that worries me is that the very group of people the poineers are not priced out. For 150k you can find a flat in uptown. Check the Uptown magazine. Their current issue has almost every single project in the charlotte area listed with details. http://www.uptownclt.com/

However if your keen on NODA, you can check the new block 90 project. They are already preselling these new style of environmentally-friendly condo. They will be industrial looking with big windows of the growing skyline. Prices are starting in the 100k range. They sell you the flat in the shell like state and you put the floors,cabinets, toilets etc. That way the place reflects the owner completely. Also NODA18 still is selling some units.
Hate to disagree but I just did another quick MLS search and there are still only three (yes THREE) listings in all of uptown and surrounding area for 150k and under; the same three I cited earlier in the thread. The available NoDa 18 condos are 816 sq feet and 179k and up. With block 90, Once you put in floors, cabinents, appliances, toilets, etc a 100k condo will quickly cost over our OPs price range.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:31 PM

The salesgirl at Noda18 told me they begin their pirces in the 130's. The Bloc90 will be in the 100 for the bare shelf flat.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
The salesgirl at Noda18 told me they begin their pirces in the 130's. The Bloc90 will be in the 100 for the bare shelf flat.
The key word is "begin".

I absolutely promise you there is nothing for sale there in that price range. I checked every lising.

A bare shelf flat at 100k will have no flooring, toilets, etc and the girl needs something for 150k or less.

The sign at the entrance to my mom's neighborhood this weekend when I was visiting said "starting in the 220s." The cheapest house is 285k.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:40 PM

905 posts, read 3,064,852 times
A new project was just announced in the suburbs of Plaza-Midwood called The Vyne, prices from $120-180, eco-friendly/green and a short drive to downtown. Great location. I think it has great potential. I have read where some people are not too fond of the design though. Just google "The Vyne" and you will find it.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:15 PM

Kmway
I know that they use very finesse marketing tactics for getting people in the door. It's important to get all the fine print. I ask them why put a price in the door and then dont have nothing available in the "starting" price. Sometimes they do but usually the "early birds" got dibs on it.

Crock
Yes I did read about that development in the observer. It's located on the intersection of Central Avenue and Briar Creek Road in east Charlotte. It's a project to try to gentrify that area. Kind of close to Eastover.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:03 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Kmway
I know that they use very finesse marketing tactics for getting people in the door. It's important to get all the fine print. I ask them why put a price in the door and then dont have nothing available in the "starting" price. Sometimes they do but usually the "early birds" got dibs on it.

Crock
Yes I did read about that development in the observer. It's located on the intersection of Central Avenue and Briar Creek Road in east Charlotte. It's a project to try to gentrify that area. Kind of close to Eastover.
Uh, I think you meant EASTWAY. Anything near Eastover has long been very pricey and extremely desirable.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:54 PM

Hi lovesmountain,
I saw a all brick condo/townhome on Laurel avenue sell for 136k. Very pretty and kicking myself in the butt for not getting there fast enough since it's already on contract. This was not on the market for a long time. Oh well you win some and loose win some. I will pm you the listing.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Uh, I think you meant EASTWAY. Anything near Eastover has long been very pricey and extremely desirable.
No actually it was Eastover, but it was teeny teeny teeny tiny and really really old. Needed work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or