U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 08:27 PM

9 posts, read 28,134 times

Advertisements

Thought about taking the 5 year old to Crowders Mountain this weekend, or perhaps even Morrow

Our family - let's just say were avid runners, and bikers but i can't say we've done much "real" hiking other than walks in the woods - so in terms of gear for a "mild" hike at Crowders - what should we bring? A backpack, water /lunch - I don't want to get all geared out if these are not too complex of hikes

Any advice for a newbie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 08:34 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,272,468 times
unless you're planning on doing the ridge trail, I doubt you'll need much. I think the longest trail is like 2 miles, which will take maybe 45 minutes (with hills) up and 45 minutes back. All I take is bottled water.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:44 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,364,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl0810 View Post
Thought about taking the 5 year old to Crowders Mountain this weekend, or perhaps even Morrow

Our family - let's just say were avid runners, and bikers but i can't say we've done much "real" hiking other than walks in the woods - so in terms of gear for a "mild" hike at Crowders - what should we bring? A backpack, water /lunch - I don't want to get all geared out if these are not too complex of hikes

Any advice for a newbie?
Maybe this old thread of mine would be helpful to you. I think you'd find the new Ridge Trail to be the most kid friendly

Crowders Mountain and the new ridge trail to King's Mountain

Old 10-12-2009, 05:35 AM

409 posts, read 988,776 times
Crowder's is great. With a young one, be very careful on the cliffs, but enjoy the view. Water and snacks should be about all you need.

Also, beware that at this time of year the yellowjackets are active and ornery, and there seem to be a bunch of them on the summit. It was about this time last year that we got attacked by a swarm, and several others got nailed too. Be careful about walking over holes, etc.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:38 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,929,345 times
If you are asking about the 5 year old, you will need to take care to watch them. There are plenty of places up there where you can walk right to the edge of the cliffs and fall off. No guard rails at all. Otherwise it is a good time of the year to go there. Very nice place to hike so close to Charlotte.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:07 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,728,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
...All I take is bottled water.
A big bottle at that. Crowders is one of the few places I've hiked and become severely drained of energy due to underestimating the "hill" of a mountain. I had one small bottle of water and no food. By the time we reached the top, I was seeing colors, and by the time we got back down to the bottom, I had to sit down and wait for the truck to come get me...I was about to puke!

Very hard lesson learned for me! Don't ever think a single bottle of water will suffice. Always take more than what you think you need.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:53 AM

21,893 posts, read 27,167,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
Crowder's is great. With a young one, be very careful on the cliffs, but enjoy the view. Water and snacks should be about all you need.

Also, beware that at this time of year the yellowjackets are active and ornery, and there seem to be a bunch of them on the summit. It was about this time last year that we got attacked by a swarm, and several others got nailed too. Be careful about walking over holes, etc.
Good tip on the yellow jackets.

Here's something that is easy to carry that works if you get nailed by one. Go to a discount beauty supply store & get a jar or tube of a mud mask. Put it right on & as it dries, it sucks the venom out. I've used this trick for hornets & yellow jackets & it works great.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:59 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,364,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
If you are asking about the 5 year old, you will need to take care to watch them. There are plenty of places up there where you can walk right to the edge of the cliffs and fall off. No guard rails at all. Otherwise it is a good time of the year to go there. Very nice place to hike so close to Charlotte.
Which is why I suggested the new Ridge Trail - there are no cliffs to really be worried about, it's very kid friendly

Old 10-12-2009, 10:20 AM

587 posts, read 1,433,156 times
Have there been yellowjacket problems on the new ridge trail as well?

Old 10-12-2009, 10:26 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,038,363 times
FWIW, also close by is Kings Mountain National Military Park with some trails.

Once you have done all that, consider Chimney Rock one weekend which has some great family hiking and wonderful views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte