Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 03:39 AM

4 posts, read 5,839 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm visiting Charlotte from the UK soon and wondered if anyone knows of a bar that shows SpeedTV. I don't want to miss the Formula 1 races whilst I'm there. South of city would be best (Matthews) but anywhere will do!

I know F1 isn't big in the US, but with Charlotte getting its own F1 team next I thought I might be in with a chance.

Also - I was hoping to catch my first Nascar live as there's a meet at Loew's whilst I'm there. Will any ticket do or do I need to pay for the more expensive ones to see anything?

Thanks
Stuart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 07:10 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
I would check with:

Buffalo Wild Wings

Phone: 704-849-9464
2530 Sardis Road North
Charlotte, NC 28227-7723

Phil & Tony's

2225 Matthews Township Parkway
Matthews, NC
(704) 541-3111

Old 10-12-2009, 08:55 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,828,194 times
Sitting higher up is best, get a view of the whole track. The first time I went to Lowe's I sat 8 rows from the track, bought tickets at the last minute. They started the engines and filed behind the pace car in which they go about 50? The race hadn't even started and DH's white shirt was loaded with track dirt, I took off my sunglasses and swear I still have tire marble in my eye today. We wern't 10 laps into the race and I needed a shower, man were we dirty.

I highly recommend renting race scanners. You can rent them at the track, they have booths set up all around the perimeter along with the souveniers and food. With the scanners you get to listen to the driver, crew chief and spotter. You can punch in your favorite driver or scan the field. It really makes the race fun and some of the commentary is quite funny. Juan Pablo gets my F-bomb trophy, never new you could drop so many in one sentance. Man he was mad, but we were hysterical.

Make sure to use the restroom before you leave the track, it can take 2 or 3 hours to leave the track. I made that mistake once.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:58 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,373 times
They must have SpeedTV as it comes in any basic digital package. It's gonna be hard to get the bar to show F1 because Brazilian GP collides with NFL (12pm) and Abu Dhabi will be way too early for any bar to be open (8 am).

Old 10-12-2009, 09:44 AM

Great info. Looks like I may be out of luck on the F1.

Thanks for all the Nascar tips. Have to admit that its about my least favourite form of racing when I see it on the TV over here, but I'm sure it will be a whole different experience being there. Going to see if I can get there or if not that to a smaller meeting at Concord.

Should be a different experience for me.

Thanks so much everyone.
Stuart

Old 10-12-2009, 12:20 PM

769 posts, read 2,220,069 times
Like one of the previous posters said, SPEED is part of the basic cable package here, and,whilst it won't be nearly as fun, if you really want to see the F1 race and can't find a bar for it, you can watch it in your hotel room. I was truly grateful for this option as I was flat dead tired by the time I got to Charlotte (my pre-moving research visit) and sooo didn't want to go anywhere - in Cali we had to pay extra to get it!!

Old 10-12-2009, 12:22 PM

769 posts, read 2,220,069 times
Oh, and if you do go up to Lowe's for the race, be aware that traffic is horrible starting at least 2 hours prior to the race - and at least that long after the race.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:09 AM

Thanks again - staying with family and they didn't have it last time I was in town but that was 2 years ago. So might get lucky! Thanks for the warning on Lowes. Shame I can't bring my motorbike with me when I come!

Looking forward to seeing some fall colour in the Carolinas - I do love your part of the world.

Stuart

Old 10-13-2009, 06:54 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
If you don't mind heading into downtown Charlotte, try the Corner Pub on Graham St. I've seen the F1 races in there a time or 2. I'd call to ask about it first since I don't know if they're opening that early still.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:47 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Stuart, I'm sure one of the local Harley dealers rent bikes. I'm sure a big ol' cruiser isn't what you're used to riding, but hey, it's got two wheels and a motor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte